Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 managers tapped up by the Telegraph

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why has Sam been named and shamed but not the others? I want all the juicy bits.
Because they had nothing on Ferguson.

Start with the biggest fish and work backwards.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Jimmy Floyd H, Tommy Wright and Cellino my guesses :whistle:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
manager.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Without the names it's just journalistic tittle tattle. The telegraph should name names or pipe down

It's not tittle tattle. They'll have names and damning evidence. They wouldn't have gone this far without their lawyers giving the green light.

The Telegraph is watertight on these things. Remember the expenses scandal ?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Doubt it. These are not exactly A list are they. They will be replaced by another lot within minutes. What 'might' happen is that football eventually becomes properly regulated.

To be honest a big part of me is hoping this is the tip of the iceberg and that the whole rotten thing comes crashing down around us all.

Which is so unlikely as to be considered impossible.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
:facepalm: at MP being critical that it took the Telegraph to uncover the 'bungs' should perhaps keep his gob shut and remember the 'expenses' scandal

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Without the names it's just journalistic tittle tattle. The telegraph should name names or pipe down

The Telegraph's job is not to clean up football but to sell papers. That said, this sort of story will be good for them and, hopefully in the long run, good for football. As has already been seen, they will string the saga out to maximise their exposure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure Hasslebaink done much wrong there, being offered speakers fee, will look over good players that they have, what you'd expect him to. yes potential for a conflict of interest but he wasnt particularly linking the two.

and as much as we may not like him (even less now) what Cellino is proposing seems pretty much above board. you invest in the club company, you can get a dividend.

is this it?

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So - in summary... the Barnsley guy - bang to rights. Accepting cash in return for getting players to sign up with the agency and to view that agency's players favourably is obviously wrong in terms of football's rules and tax law (assuming it would go undeclared).

But Hasselbaink? Offered 55k as payment for doing some work for the fake contacts. When asked if he'd consequently view them favourably, doesn't commit at all. And when they say will they be able to place players with QPR, his answer is jocular: "Sure, give me a player...but it has to be a good one", or words to that effect. What's wrong with that? If he was offering to take any old duffer, that'd be different.

And Cellino... much as everyone hates the bloke, his argument seems to be that, as investors are not allowed part-ownership of players, they invest in the club instead. Say, 20%. And as a result, they'll get 20% of the profit on transfer fees. Surely that's pretty much the point of a shareholding? And if they don't make a profit, they lose their cash (which he doesn't point out, funnily enough). Obviously, it'd be better if ALL the profit went back into the playing budget but unless a club's got an owner like ours, I doubt that happens too often these days. Plus outside investors would potentiallly provide capital to sign better players than would otherwise be there in the first place.

It's a decent investigation in that it shines a light on the money swilling around the game which has taken it a long way from the fans - but too often a desperate one, so far making big stories out of deals that break no rules or laws. Big business looks for ways to get around regulations in every industry. Anyone that didn't realise that's the same in football must still believe in Santa Claus.

In fact, given how well documented it's been that some of the greatest figures in the game like Brian Clough were partial to a 'proper' bung in the old days, it's arguable football's cleaner than it used to be if this is really the best the Telegraph can come up with. It's just the astronomical figures that have got people so wound up.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
:facepalm: at MP being critical that it took the Telegraph to uncover the 'bungs' should perhaps keep his gob shut and remember the 'expenses' scandal
Bloody everyone's at it!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here