Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

big Sam gone

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hope the Telegraph are happy they have contributed to England team success by creating a mess in the management. Allardyce not wonderful but not a lot else around at present.

Opinions like this are part of the problem. Remember to admonish the policeman who catches the burglar in your house similarly. God give me strength...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    288.8 KB · Views: 641

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
How can you do something that stupid when you just get the chance of a lifetime?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Opinions like this are part of the problem. Remember to admonish the policeman who catches the burglar in your house similarly. God give me strength...

Perhaps God could give you a little more understanding. Very different scenarios. There would be no losers (except for the burglar).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Perhaps God could give you a little more understanding. Very different scenarios. There would be no losers (except for the burglar).
Not really. Both involve catching greedy *******s. Big Sum is not a victim here despite attempts by apologists.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Is 67 days long enough to be asked a 'reign'. I mean, its hardly Elizabeth II proportions. He'll be remembered more as a blip, a 67 day blip. Yes that's more appropriate :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Telegraph have done nothing wrong but exposed corruption in football. When 'our' press went after FIFA there was Similar outrage a few years ago then we have a World Cup in Russia and Qatar. Good work for exposing him although I agree it's depressing

If they are so keen on exposing corruption maybe they should be exposing it elsewhere too. One must question why they choose football to expose. Easy target, sells papers and no clash with their vested interests.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If they are so keen on exposing corruption maybe they should be exposing it elsewhere too. One must question why they choose football to expose. Easy target, sells papers and no clash with their vested interests.
Yeah maybe there is some dodgy goings on with MPs expenses, surely they could focus on that instead.....oh hang on
Dodgy ? He's not actually done anything illegal has he. He's run his mouth off, which was stupid, embarrassing and ill-considered. But its hardly corrupt - just greedy and idiotic.

In the highly unlikely event of him plonking a World Cup down on the table in a couple of years (or even a good run deep into the tournament), then nobody would give a flying toss about all this. But the media must have their pound of flesh now, and the FA as usual will lick their finger, go with the wind and try desperately to look like they're being "decisive".

Nobody comes out of this well, least of all Allardyce. But we're going to be lumbered with a 4th-rate manager now. This could've been sorted out sensibly with an apology, but as usual, the FA are so obsessed with their "image" that they'll throw the baby out with the bath water in a futile effort to temper the shrieking headlines.

The whole lot of them are pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yeah maybe there is some dodgy goings on with MPs expenses, surely they could focus on that instead.....oh hang on

Yep on reflection blaming the press for exposing this is daft. I am just sick of this shit, but maybe we should be applauding someone trying to expose and clear up corruption in football.

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Mps are paid what ? £70k odd. Barely a middle managers salary yet are held in such public contempt no rise in Base salary is acceptable to the taxpayer. Allardyce was paid over 40 times that but he is sniffing around for more ? A legitimate target for me.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
By saying Rooney can play where he likes, 'manager' is hardly the role he played anyway. Sad. Personally I was happy to give him a chance, but with how he handled Rooney I had grave doubts. This revelation was the nail in the coffin

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Perhaps you can post some examples of the press taking the trouble to set up stings and fake meetings to entrap politicians, expose corporate greed?

The Telegraph did an exposé of lobbying last year. Odd result, the MPs were cleared but as was Channel 4 by Ofcom who partnered in the investigation.

Loads of examples but they don't catch the eye quite like football.

Don't confuse the tabloid berating of the England manager with investigations like this. It is a very very different thing.

There is enough evidence over the years to suggest that football has never quite got over it's "cash culture" which probably goes all the way back to the days when you couldn't pay players and then only pay them a certain amount.

I'm tired of the oddities of football, the defence of "that's just the way it works round here" isn't enough.

Taking all that away does not "sanitise" the supporters experience because all this back stage bullshit has nothing to do with what goes on, on the pitch.

What's annoyed me about Alladyce it's 1) it's a football matter but 2) nothing to do with his position as England manager. He hadn't even played a single ducking game but looking for another earner. Making a few hundred thousand quid advising on domestic transfer dealings. Jesus. In any other industry, you are employed as a CEO whilst acting as a highly paid advisor for other interests within the industry. To get yourself in that position you would have to be SO GOOD that the only reason you were allowed to do so was because you were highly in demand and your company was at risk of losing you.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Telegraph did an exposé of lobbying last year. Odd result, the MPs were cleared but as was Channel 4 by Ofcom who partnered in the investigation.

Loads of examples but they don't catch the eye quite like football.

Don't confuse the tabloid berating of the England manager with investigations like this. It is a very very different thing.

There is enough evidence over the years to suggest that football has never quite got over it's "cash culture" which probably goes all the way back to the days when you couldn't pay players and then only pay them a certain amount.

I'm tired of the oddities of football, the defence of "that's just the way it works round here" isn't enough.

Taking all that away does not "sanitise" the supporters experience because all this back stage bullshit has nothing to do with what goes on, on the pitch.

What's annoyed me about Alladyce it's 1) it's a football matter but 2) nothing to do with his position as England manager. He hadn't even played a single ducking game but looking for another earner. Making a few hundred thousand quid advising on domestic transfer dealings. Jesus. In any other industry, you are employed as a CEO whilst acting as a highly paid advisor for other interests within the industry. To get yourself in that position you would have to be SO GOOD that the only reason you were allowed to do so was because you were highly in demand and your company was at risk of losing you.

Yep agree, I have retracted my comment and changed my previous post. I am sick of all this shit in football and would like to see things change.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep agree, I have retracted my comment and changed my previous post. I am sick of all this shit in football and would like to see things change.

And as a proclaimed member of "team Big Sam" I'm as pissed off as everyone. I thought he was a bridge between the old and the new. I'm mostly pissed off with the authorities who haven't developed a culture where if approached in such a way, he would have just walked away.

My industry (just as many others) used to have a culture of it too. I'm talking about a wink and a nod and not paying the taxman. I'm talking about greed.

Ok, I've seen others getting paid stacks and I'm gonna get a piece too.

The MPs have been seen to be similar and there are parallels. Same with the entertainment industry. People in positions of seniority, supposedly in charge of others who are getting paid wildly higher figures. Call them them the "talent" whatever.

It's toxic.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
£3 million a year doing a job we all know he's wanted for YEARS and he still got greedy for more.

No sympathy whatsoever from me.

Abso-bloody-exactly.

Find it bizarre some people are comparing this journalism to the muck raking of our glorious tabloid press.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Still, on the bright side for Sam he has established himself as the go-to consultant for getting around FA rules.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How can you do something that stupid when you just get the chance of a lifetime?
I imagine the large bottle of wine that he demolished helped.

I think also that in the transcripts he said he would have to run it all past his bosses at the FA, so I imagine he knew it was all chit chat and wouldn't amount to anything

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
So you would prefer a dodgy manager as long as the team is successful?

All the criticism of Blatter and Platini means nothing?

Exactly right. There has been a terrible exhibition of double-standards from some people on social media. Batter, Platini, countess dodgy Africans and Arabs can take and give 'favours' and everyone, rightly, moans about corruption. No one says, "well so long as the World Cup still takes place what's the problem?" An Englishman does it and reactions range from "no big deal", to trying to shoot the messenger for robbing England of a decent manager. ('Decent' in this case being not perhaps the right word).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Well, the Telegraph certainly seem to have done a good job of convincing people they exposed something vital here. As expected, lots of fans jumping to conclusions by bundling together this with previous unproven historic allegations - which the FA must have been satisfied were no longer of concern before giving him the job. In this individual case, they haven't 'exposed' any corruption. In fact, over several hours of trying, they couldn't trip Big Sam up on the one thing which would have been dynamite - he actually admonished them for even suggesting illegal payments. So instead they blew up a story about him expressing derogatory views of his employers and predecessors in a private conversation and explaining how easy it is to find alternatives to 'shared ownership' without breaching the rules. Unwise in his new position, yes, but not corrupt.

Predictably then most of the complaints are about the money and that he supposedly could have made a lot extra by exploiting his status. Well, that puts him in the same category as about 99% of public figures. He told them he wouldn't be able to do it without talking to the FA first, so if this fictitious £400k had been real, chances are it wouldn't have happened anyway. Who's to say that on reflection, and after talking to the FA, he wouldn't have just knocked it on the head as a bad idea? In a meeting where someone is offering money for old rope, anyone is likely to make positive noises - there's plenty of time to backtrack later after some time to consider things.

Equating this to actual corruption - paying for votes etc - is just plain wrong but precisely the effect the newspaper knew the story would have with fans in general, many of whom will only have read the 'juicy' bits.

Stupid, yes. Greedy, so it appears. But if you had an agent saying to you that some guys from the Far East have been on the phone saying they'll pay you £100k a time just to make a speech and shake a few hands, I expect you'd consider it.. Most people would certainly go along to hear their proposal and even say a bit of what they wanted to hear, knowing none of it was a done deal and you could back out later when you'd had a chance to think about it. Unless someone was stitching you up, of course....

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here