Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big Sam could be in trouble...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Doesn't look great but think people are over reacting a tad. Doesn't do a hell of a lot wrong really - just advises on a loop hole it seems - greedy though I agree... As for his comments on England's failing to Iceland, apart from the 'Woy' bit he's spot on with his analogy - actually reassures me he may do well in the job :lol:

Trust our press to make shit happen to disrupt our national team :whistle:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Funny thing is he's courted controversy throughout his career and therefore who are the bigger fools - Fat Sam for thinking he could keep his corpulent mouth shut long enough to actually manage England or the moribund buffoons at the FA who ignored the warning signs and appointed him anyway?

We're in a post international football age people and people like the FA with their brass buttoned blazers and fat boozy lunches and jobs for the boys mentality will never learn,

I see International Football as nothing but a distraction from the still relative joy I get from following the Albion.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Ex crooks who last offended 20yrs ago get no slack if you get to know what they have done. Is this different in judgement? This could be ruining for him even though he might not be guilty. It is all too grubby for me and leads to a view of 'capable' if not 'doing it' now!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Difficult one. I'm sure if we heard what managers said in 'private' conversations we'd all be shocked- or even agree with some of it. The question is as to whether his 'activity' has broken any rules.

I think he'll still be there come the next match- but with a shorter tolerance of failure.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Talk Sport defending him...and some callers too. FFS, can't people see they didn't 'trap' him if he came out with stuff like this and got caught saying it?! That's not naive, it's potential corruption! Sorry but it stinks and thank heavens for investigational journalism in this country. Well done DT who broke the MP expenses scandal too.

He's got to go...SAM OUT!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can't defend him,. but he is cut from different cloth. If you read the whole "interview" it's not so cut and dried.

But really. He is extremely well paid.

Football still has one foot in the present and the past. Short career, very unstable career as a manager. Sensible for players and managers to be looking for income outside of "the game". But I can't believe for one second he is such a position.

If the reports are true and I'm suggesting for a second he has broken any rules I want him gone.

You couldn't for instance be newly employed by the HMRC and be seen talking to people about loopholes. You'd leave the meeting immediately. If you are the end of your career or looking for a way out that's completely different.

What an idiot.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The bloke is employed to try to get England to a tournament and then not embarrass themselves. He is not a politician nor a lawyer nor a priest. He has said nothing there that most pundits have not said already.
He is guilty of being an uneduacated, brash, arogant fool. Football is not like the normal world though. Unless something other than that comes out then just let the bloke get on with it.
Journalists are c***s

Are you being serious? He has a potential conflict of interest by entering an agreement with a football agency. He has shown rank indiscretion about his predecessor but more importantly about getting around rules of his employer!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh dear, I'm a big fan of Big Sam. A lot of the negative stuff said about him is just ignorance and bullshit. This doesn't look good at all though. Could well be the end of his England job, which is a shame, as he was (IMHO) the best man for the job, and should have had it years ago.

Have a bit of sympathy with this view too:
Trust our press to make shit happen to disrupt our national team :whistle:
Have the press really done a public service by their actions?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Massive error of judgement on his part to even get involved in the discussion regardless of the degree of wrongdoing. Also surprised he doesn't have clauses in his contract about other paid work (and if he does, and has breached them so soon after getting his 'dream job', he's a colossal idiot)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Will this be like Sepp Blatter? - relying on the FBI again to bring him in

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What a dick.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's a long walk from the tunnel to the dug outs at Wembley, I can't see Bruce getting there before half time (unless he has a golf buggy).

I think you may be mixing up old Wembley with new Wembley.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, why should he lose his job? Dramatic exaggeration. He's acted like a bit of an arse, but come on, the FA hired him despite his character. He is a good manager, leave him to it.

And no more fake Sheikhs/businesspeople meetings for England managers.
Hmm. I hear what you're saying, but I don't totally agree.. We know that the FA happily went along with all Blatter and FIFA's corruption. They muttered a bit but they never took a stand, so it can be inferred that they accept that bribes, bungs and backhanders are an accepted part of football.

However they at least have to be seen to be clean, and the England football manager cleaner than that. It's the most high profile position there is. Rather like a politician caught with his trousers down the fact that 'every one does it' is no excuse. This is a serious breach of trust. Glen Hoddle found his position untenable simply for expressing some personal views on mythology, this is far worse.

Still, can you imagine if it had been 'arry? :)

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Local government official or any civil servant; privately and covertly advising businesses on how to find ways around his employers' regulations whilst insulting colleagues. Gross misconduct; summary dismissal; easiest decision a hearing panel would ever have to make.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here