Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Delighted to see them struggle. Sadly they'll do enough to stay up.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Two British players only in the starting line up and this from Mark Noble in his post-match interview: "You’ve got to work hard for each other. You can’t start talking in your little circles and blaming each other because we’ve got to look at ourselves".

That to me indicates all is not well. They need to be careful, the squad dynamic is similar to that of Newcastle last year.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thats what I would have thought but this suggests otherwise. Can't trust polls I know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22525290

Hmm. I think it might have been loaded. It was commissioned by the club (who obviously wanted a 'yes') and it doesn't appear to have been a straight 'Are you in favour? Yes or no' question, but a list of subjective statements for you to agree with. And out of the six statements only one of those was against the move!

An equivalent would be SASTA asking commuters if they want to travel on a 'modern, efficient railway', and then claim that the overwhelming 'yes' response is proof that commuters support them in their battle with the unions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hmm. I think it might have been loaded. It was commissioned by the club (who obviously wanted a 'yes') and it doesn't appear to have been a straight 'Are you in favour? Yes or no' question, but a list of subjective statements for you to agree with. And out of the six statements only one of those was against the move!

An equivalent would be SASTA asking commuters if they want to travel on a 'modern, efficient railway', and then claim that the overwhelming 'yes' response is proof that commuters support them in their battle with the unions.

That's a good point. If you look at the breakdown, it's not as clear cut as the owners make it out to be:

Support move as better fan experience - 12%
Support move as will provide resources to improve squad and club - 51%
Support move, will grow level of support - 6%
Support move, trust club directors- 16%
Consider support but need more information - 10%
Against the move under any circumstances - 5%

You can certainly argue that the fans who wanted more investment in the team will feel let down but I am surprised that only five percent were against the move under any circumstances, that's not really any hard core opposition

D

Deleted member 22389

They are stuck at this ground forever, at least with Withdean we knew it was temporary. Looking at some video the supporters are so far away from the pitch. They should have bought the seats closer to the pitch.

The only people who have done well out of this is the owners.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Delighted to see them struggle. Sadly they'll do enough to stay up.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Probably true. This might just be 'first season syndrome', and once they get accustomed to their new ground they will be a force.

I hope not though, Although it was all-seater another bit of 'old football' died when they left Upton Park. I hope they end up regretting the move, but like Arsenal it'll probably all come good, and future WHU fans, who will have grown up with the London Stadium, will wonder what the initial fuss was about.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looking at some video the supporters are so far away from the pitch. They should have bought the seats closer to the pitch.

Not sure that buying better seats is going to help here, even the seats in the front are some way from the pitch. Besides, you can't have every seat near the front, some spectators are always going to be further back.

It looks like a soul-less place to watch football, what a contrast to Upton Park where the fans were so close to the pitch. It always led to a great atmosphere

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The view was always going to be terrible behind the running track, how sad for West Ham, or are they now London Olympians FC ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's a good point. If you look at the breakdown, it's not as clear cut as the owners make it out to be:

Support move as better fan experience - 12%
Support move as will provide resources to improve squad and club - 51%
Support move, will grow level of support - 6%
Support move, trust club directors- 16%
Consider support but need more information - 10%
Against the move under any circumstances - 5%

You can certainly argue that the fans who wanted more investment in the team will feel let down but I am surprised that only five percent were against the move under any circumstances, that's not really any hard core opposition
Yeah, can you imagine if Tony Bloom wanted to sell to a consortium made up of Putin, Donald Trump and the Italian mafia? They commission a similar survey. I wonder what percentage of our fans would tick an option along the lines of "Support the sale as it will provide resources to improve squad and club"?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Thought it was very funny Charlie Austin scored after everything David Gold said about him and his injuries and why they didn't sign him.

Missed a trick there, could have been a memorable goal celebration hobbling along holding his knee or something.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm sure they feel that and I'm not close enough to WHU politics to know the details, but they must have realised an athletics stadium may not be best suited for football.

Just seen this

"As for the stadium move, Southampton were singing "You should have stayed at the Boleyn" to which quite a lot of us replied "We should have stayed at the Boleyn" and "Stratford's a ****hole, I wanna go home". I think most people realise the move was a seriously bad idea now. It's a genuine shame more didn't realise before it was too late"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is a strange one.

I still have Burnley and Hull to come down. Nothing will change my mind on that.

But who to come down with them? Sunderland are still my favourites.. but don't discount Swansea... or WHU. Think Stoke and B'muff have enough about them.

I am starting to think Burnley and/or Hull maybe ok - Sunderland are terrible and Swansea are not much better.

We only beat Sunderland 1-0 but they are the worst team I have seen for sometime.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Last season the few West Ham fans I know were more than happy to wax lyrical about the new stadium and how it'll cement them in the upper reaches of English football for the forseeable future ('champions league in 4 years' was often said).

This season, they seem to have known all along that the stadium was a bad idea and they never really wanted to leave in the first place. Strange that isn't it?

Based on those conversations alone, I'm thoroughly enjoying their start to the season.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why do they insist on calling it the London Stadium? Surely it is the Olympic Stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here