Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm gutted for them.

I put a fiver on them to win the Premier League with an 18 point handicap, pre -season, it looked good bet at 15/1.

Can I have my money back,Mr Gold?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Seems like the usual over-reaction after a string of losses to me. Except this time they've got a stadium move and the board to focus on instead of the players.

If they'd won their last 4 they'd be hailing the new stadium as the dawn of a new era. Let's give it a couple of seasons before all feeling sorry for them eh.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It may just be 3 losses but if this bad form continues then they have a real struggle on their hands and I reckon that relegation would be a disaster for the fans as a match-watching experience. Anyone who has been to Middlesboro in December or the likes of Leicester knows just how bad an atmosphere it is to watch a poor team in a half-empty, huge stadium.

I really do feel for the West Ham fans at the moment. I know a fair few and they are all decent blokes, proper fans and that ground is just way too big for West Ham.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It may just be 3 losses but if this bad form continues then they have a real struggle on their hands and I reckon that relegation would be a disaster for the fans as a match-watching experience. Anyone who has been to Middlesboro in December or the likes of Leicester knows just how bad an atmosphere it is to watch a poor team in a half-empty, huge stadium.

I really do feel for the West Ham fans at the moment. I know a fair few and they are all decent blokes, proper fans and that ground is just way too big for West Ham.

That's a big IF though isn't it? They've played six games out of 38, and the squad and management have barely changed from the one that finished 6th(?) last season. The way that bloke was ranting, West Ham were on the cusp of non-league status and going bust.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That's a big IF though isn't it? They've played six games out of 38, and the squad and management have barely changed from the one that finished 6th(?) last season. The way that bloke was ranting, West Ham were on the cusp of non-league status and going bust.

I reckon they will be part of the relegation dogfight at the end of the season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I reckon they will be part of the relegation dogfight at the end of the season.
Possible, but unlikely, IMO. I reckon that they might just as easily click and start winning plenty.

Regardless, if they are still pony with the January window looming, then that is the time to piss your pants and swear on Fan TV, not one month into the new season FFS.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
There is something very charming about these FanTv types of interview. The whole thing is so amateurish it's a nice palate cleanser from the slick corporate honey we're spoon fed usually.

Especially when they get a bedwetter on.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Top ranting there, but you see the Southampton fans walking out of the ground with their colours on show. They'd never have done that at Upton Park after winning 3-0

Agree with you, very little segregation but apparently little need for it either.

Far too early to be predicting doom and gloom for West Ham, although five losses out of 6 matches is shockingly bad. It's going to be Sunderland plus two this season.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There is something very charming about these FanTv types of interview. The whole thing is so amateurish it's a nice palate cleanser from the slick corporate honey we're spoon fed usually.

Especially when they get a bedwetter on.

It proves 2 things:

1 - all fans over-react. Brighton fans are no different to any other club.
2 - MK Dons are the exception to rule 1. Their Fans TV is a joy to behold. A car crash like no other.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Just seen this

"As for the stadium move, Southampton were singing "You should have stayed at the Boleyn" to which quite a lot of us replied "We should have stayed at the Boleyn" and "Stratford's a ****hole, I wanna go home". I think most people realise the move was a seriously bad idea now. It's a genuine shame more didn't realise before it was too late"

And most importantly they don't own their own home anymore, just imagine if they got themselves into a proper pickle!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Agree with you, very little segregation but apparently little need for it either.

Far too early to be predicting doom and gloom for West Ham, although five losses out of 6 matches is shockingly bad. It's going to be Sunderland plus two this season.

For me looking at David Moyes he looks almost a broken man . Still very haunted by the Man Utd failure . Cannot see Sunderland getting out of this . Shame , just when Big Sam seemed to have turned the corner .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just been watching a few of the recent vids on youtube. It does seem that things have turned extremely toxic at West Ham, fans fighting each other, kids leaving the stadium in tears...

Its pretty sad really, a world class facility funded largely by the public purse and they are acting like spoilt brats. I hope we never see scenes like this at the Amex...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He wanted to come here in January 2013 but we didn't meet the asking price. Celtic then signed him in the summer window.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm fairly certain that is NOT what happened.

My recollection is as follows:

In January 2013 we AGREED the fee to sign Van Dijk from Groningen, but the club were not prepared to let him leave until the summer, as they were battling against relegation. There was effectively a gentleman's agreement for the move to take place in June.

In June Groningen (presumably now aware of Celtic's interest) came back to us and said that the deal was still on, but the price had gone up by half a million.

Bloom was fuming, over the reneging on a deal, and told them to swivel.

Virgil signed for Celtic instead.

Unfortunate we missed out on a very good player, at a price that in hindsight was still a good deal, but I have to say, I'm team Bloom on this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A piece of grass is a piece of grass but the dimensions of that stadium are making it an absolutely DREAM to play on for away teams.

People say the noise has been quite good but atmosphere is really emphasized when the fans are by the pitch roaring the team on.

The pitch being so far from the fans makes the game feel detached. The away team can just focus on their job and the home fans don't benefit from the intensity of support

And when it all starts going not to plan it must feel like an even more lonely place out there while the away team relax and carry on in their training match scenario.

There's a reason Juve and Bayern made a HUGE effort to move from athletics stadiums to very enclosed high-sided grounds.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I've been to both the Bournemouth and Watford games for West Ham this year, and been to plenty of other grounds.

When West Ham were on top v Watford it was VERY loud where I was. The other games have been poor though and not got the crowd going. If West Ham start winning and playing well I think the atmosphere will actually be very good.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its pretty sad really, a world class facility funded largely by the public purse and they are acting like spoilt brats. I hope we never see scenes like this at the Amex...

World class ATHLETICS stadium does not translate to world class FOOTBALL stadium I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here