Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Monty Python Actor

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Unseen Monty Python sketches discovered.

https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingi...ter-being-discovered-in-michael-a3901766.html

A series of unseen Monty Python sketches have been discovered in Michael Palin’s archives.

The comedian gave the documents to the British Library back in 2017 and further examination has revealed them to contain unused script ideas.

According to The Times, the sketches will go on show at the library in Kings Cross later this month.

I'd be up for this :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone here old enough to remember the precursor to the Pythons, "Do Not Adjust Your Set" which featured three Pythons in the form of Idle, Jones and Palin together with a very young David Jason. Compulsive after school watching in B & W on ITV for an eight year old Potting.

And Denise Coffey :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tough one - I probably prefer the work they all did after Python

Palin/Jones - Ripping Yarns
Cleese - Fawlty Towers
Idle - Rutles/Rutland weekend Television
Terry Gilliam -Time Bandits/Brazil/Twelve Monkeys

I'll go for Palin - Ripping Yarns was probably my favourite of the lot.
Can't argue with this... Mind you I'm in the wrong room, I should be in Contradiction.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Take one of them out and it wouldn't have been Monty Python but I think palin edges it. Ripping yarns, Wanda and his approach to travel programmes.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone here old enough to remember the precursor to the Pythons, "Do Not Adjust Your Set" which featured three Pythons in the form of Idle, Jones and Palin together with a very young David Jason. Compulsive after school watching in B & W on ITV for an eight year old Potting.

Yes! It was brilliant, just brilliant. I was about 9 or 10 and it was the absolute highlight of my week. Don't forget Denise Coffey as the evil Mrs Black. And weren't the Bonzos in it as well, or is that my mind playing tricks?

Back on topic my favourite Python at the time was Cleese, but watching them again I prefer Palin. Post-Python easily my favourite was Idle's Rutland Weekend Television. I do find though that, with some notable exceptions, most of Python now is unwatchable, I don't think it's aged well. And of the spin-offs at the time I loved Ripping Yarns, but re-watching that I realise most of it was poor.

EDIT: I notice someone else mentioned the Bonzos so I wasn't imagining it.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
... and talking of Python precursors: a mention for 'At Last The 1948 Show', which is where the 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch originated. (Often mis-attributed to Python).

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Terry Jones for me, if only for the 'very naughty boy' line. They all brought something to the Pythons though, no dead wood!

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
has to be .......... The Parrot

how it kept a straight beak with the funnies going on was brilliant ... worth an Oscar for not twitching a feather :p

on a more serious note .... John Cleese for me has had the better career post Monty so for longevity I vote him :)

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Ha! I've only just realised this thread is nearly two years old! (I was trying to find the thread about Terry Jones that the OP mentioned)

Talk about being late to the party.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here