Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to 7 teams relegated in 2018-19 and winter breaks

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I still don't get how lower league teams playing less games helps them survive

Losing 3 home games or 13% of your home fixtures means losing a lot of ticket sales, food & drink sales, programme sales, (possibly less of their games shown live on TV, etc.... and these are clubs that heavily rely in these sources of incomes to survive.

This restructure won't suddenly increase TV coverage and produce a lot of extra TV revenue to these lower league teams to offset these losses from fewer games, because the Premier League will still be in place and taking the vast majority of TV money and reducing the marketability of the other domestic leagues

I read somewhere a few months ago, that some clubs believed that losing the mid-week games would increase sales and attendance for Saturday games.
Which some believe would increase revenue over the season.

I know that's not a very comprehensive answer, but just the gist of what I previously read.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Meanwhile, the idea to include Premier League B teams in any restructure which formed part of the Football Association commission's [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, freesans, sans-serif]four-point plan[/FONT] to boost English football, has also been rejected.

The EFL believes the benefits of the possible expansion to five leagues, each consisting of 20 teams, include:
  • Ensuring more games are played on weekends and Bank Holidays;
  • Removing fixture congestion and clashes;
  • Helping EFL clubs make more money;
  • Keeping the play-off finals on the last weekend of the domestic season.
For the proposal to be approved, they will need the backing of 65 EFL clubs (90%) at next year's annual general meeting.

The proposals are part of the FA's 'Whole Game Solution' and, as well as adding a fifth tier, centre around:
  • The option of introducing a winter break
  • Regionalisation of the lower divisions
  • Changing the number of teams per division
In 2014, an FA commission's review also called for a ban on non-European Union players outside of the top flight and a reduction in non-home-grown players in Premier League squads.

Portsmouth chief executive Mark Catlin told BBC Radio Solent: "A lot of people's views have been taken on board by Shaun Harvey in the consultation. By taking [B teams] off the agenda, the EFL board have given themselves a greater chance of success."The other line in the sand as far as we're concerned is taking away our aspiration to compete in the highest possible tier - by cutting the Championship and other divisions from 24 to 20 teams, they're just never going to get our vote on that.
"One of the options that was brought to the table during the meeting was an option for no change at all.
"We like the existing structure, we like having FA Cup ties on weekends and we don't want a winter break or two Scottish clubs introduced."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37440689

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What would make you more fatigued: doing something all in one go, or doing half having a rest and then doing the other half?
As for the comment about the 70s...ridiculous to compare today's game directly to that era.

They don't do something in one go !
It's over several months with days of rest in between.

Please explain exactly why it is ridiculous to say that players played a lot more full games in a season then to now? Or you can just disagree:)

Yoda

English & European

That quote from the Pompy chief exec made me laugh.

"The other line in the sand as far as we're concerned is taking away our aspiration to compete in the highest possible tier - by cutting the Championship and other divisions from 24 to 20 teams, they're just never going to get our vote on that."

So a 3 in 24 chance of getting promotion is better than a 3 in 20? :dunce:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I vaguely remember that. What was the reason? Sometimes a game can be called off because of adverse conditions affecting spectators health and safety.

Waterlogged pitch because someone left the sprinklers on all night. It still took them until noon to decide to call it off. I'm sure the fact that Blackburn had an injury crisis, was nothing to do with it.

Remember it well. They showed a picture of the pitch with one puddle on it. I was already at Oldham by that point. Tossers.

Is it certain that any winter break would be post Christmas?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The weather here as we have an Atlantic and not a continental climate, is unpredictable. I'm surprised you think 'the worst weather just after Christmas' etc as very often we have had very mild weather around and after Christmas.

For example: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wea...orms-to-disrupt-travel-for-millions-live.html
Last January's first ten days.
7152f1aea2805f757812edcc3baddb89.jpg

Last winter was very mild but so were the previous two. What a waste of time a winter break would be.

By worst weather, I don't just mean a chance of snow or frosted pitches (less likely to be called off these days because of pitch heating), i'm talking about rainfall, daylight. Pitches really struggle through the winter especially after the amount of games that we play around Christmas on soaked pitches. Not just the AMEX we as need to think about, but the other clubs we play the state of their pitches. The drainage at the AMEX it's pretty good but even that suffers. A break after Christmas would definitely help. Most of our heavy volumes of rain, fall November to February.

image.gif
image.gif
image.gif

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems to me the discussion on winter break shows there isnt a clear case for it, with different objectives for it. that makes it a bad idea as its unlikely to meet expectation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here