Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are The Bookies Wrong About Us?

Topnit

Sep 21, 2016
We've beaten Huddersfield.

It's a fair point! Don't expect there'll be one of the top teams by the end of the season, but who knows. Who else do we expect to be up there? From the current top 10, excluding us, Norwich and Newcastle are a given really, but don't expect many of the others will be there or thereabouts come May. Wolves have spent a bit of cash, so maybe them. Reading have pulled out some pretty good results recently. Likewise Brentford. But not sure they can be classed as the top clubs!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we can occasionally beat and draw with teams like Villa, Wednesday, Norwich, Newcastle, we will be there or thereabouts. Not convinced we have enough upfront but we'll see. We got lucky against Huddersfield but not before time that we had some luck.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You must have a very dodgy memory if you think we're playing anywhere near last year's form.
We weren't as brilliant as our league position suggested at this time of the season last year, just very resilient and hard to beat. In all the 1 goal wins we had before Christmas, the only ones that were really good (that I remember) were against Hull and Ipswich. February onwards was a different kettle of fish however - I don't recall such an exciting run of form and results ever!

As for the original question, those odds are driven by the betting market. It's the punters that think we're 3rd favs, not the bookies.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
7/1? Wouldn't back us at double, or even triple those odds - and even then only each way - to go up as championes. Sorry, but we just don't look the part.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Logic would suggest we are due a major blip as you can't do two seasons like last season on the spin....Least we're not drawing to many and naturally I do think we'll pick up like we did last season in time and if this is a blip then it's not to bad at all :)

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
No, they're not deluded. Nor are the relatively sane Albion fans in our midst. We are in the top seven, five points off top place and three off second. That is a comfortable place to be in. Unfortunately the nay-sayers on this board will find something to carp and complain about regardless of how successful we are.

What the heck have you been drinking? We flatter to be 7th at present. Sorry but we will end up as mid table. Our strike force is the worst in three seasons & defence worst in 5 years. The chairman won't buy a decent forward. I'm not complaining if we didn't have Hemed we would be bottom 6 - no goals = relegation. Top 2 dream on, top 6 long shot ...

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
What the heck have you been drinking? We flatter to be 7th at present. Sorry but we will end up as mid table. Our strike force is the worst in three seasons & defence worst in 5 years. The chairman won't buy a decent forward. I'm not complaining if we didn't have Hemed we would be bottom 6 - no goals = relegation. Top 2 dream on, top 6 long shot ...

Remind me, what was so much better about our strike force last season? Or the season before that?

el punal

I'll come back to you at the beginning of May and we can discuss this further. If you think that this is the worst strike force in three seasons and the worst defence in five years then presumably the Hyypia reign must have passed you by.

I would suggest - 1. It is you that has been drinking, or, 2. You're trolling, or 3. That you haven't seen the Albion play.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'll come back to you at the beginning of May and we can discuss this further. If you think that this is the worst strike force in three seasons and the worst defence in five years then presumably the Hyypia reign must have passed you by.

I would suggest - 1. It is you that has been drinking, or, 2. You're trolling, or 3. That you haven't seen the Albion play.

I agree with all your suggestions. And, as for 2, surely not from someone entitled This is me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Good grief, remind me not to be anywhere near you at the Amex or in the same pub.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I seem to remember Zamora bailing us out with some important goals during last season's early season run, unfortunately Murray has gone flat after a good start and needs to start taking the chances he is getting. We cannot rely on Hemed only.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Third favourite yes ....But odds of 7-1 mean we are almost an outsider....I reckon sevens is about right,wouldn`t recommend a bet though!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good thread.

Lots of early season jitters on here. And they won't have been calmed by anyone watching Tuesday night's match.

When we play averagely we do look not that good and many of our players can appear pretty limited. BUT these are almost exactly the same players that got us 89 points last year...!! We ARE a very good team and have a wider squad full of very good players. We need to have more faith and I include myself in that.

Newcastle and Norwich are IMHO correctly firm favourites to be the top two. We should definitely be able to get in the play offs and, although there is a hell of a long way to go, it isn't crazy to think we might ultimately go into them in 3rd place and with a strong chance to make it our year.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im bloody delighted with where we are considering our form.

Not playing great and picking up points.... happy days

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Im bloody delighted with where we are considering our form.

Not playing great and picking up points.... happy days

Good way to look at it, we are only one point behind Newcastle too

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016

Not sure this needs to wait until May! Am interested to see what This is me thinks of our current strikeforce which would be "bottom 6 without Hemed" and our worst in 5 years defence.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bookies now have us 2nd favourite, Norwich still as high as 3rd, with Villa now 4th.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
odds.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here