Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York - best things to do in 2 days

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Central Park was great, so much to it. Greenwich village nice atmosphere

I'd forget the Empire State, rude security staff and expensive. there are cheaper options to get a view and you actually see the Empire State from a distance

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Just to bounce this, and hopefully someone can help.

In NYC 26th - 30th December this year, and trying to get tickets to the Ice Hockey as both NY Knicks and Brooklyn Nets play away legs during that time.

Has anyone any knowledge? I've looked and the cheapest NY Rangers tickets are $200 ish, with Islanders about 80$ and the New Jersey Devils about $55. I'm assuming Rangers would be a better experience, but not willing to pay that for football let alone Ice Hockey, so are the Devils/Islanders still worth going?

Should I leave it nearer the time to buy tickets on Stubhub/Viagogo? or are those prices about standard and as cheap as it'll get.... as there do seem to be LOADS available.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Another vote for Ground Zero, well worth the queue to get in - be worth booking your tickets in advance (I assume you can do this) to avoid queuing for tickets and then queuing to get in.

Another highlight for me was walking across Brooklyn Bridge and back again

If memory serves me right the Brooklyn Brewery is under the arches on the Brooklyn side of the bridge. Worth a quick tour.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

In NYC 26th - 30th December this year, and trying to get tickets to the Ice Hockey as both NY Knicks and Brooklyn Nets play away legs during that time.

Has anyone any knowledge? I've looked and the cheapest NY Rangers tickets are $200 ish, with Islanders about 80$ and the New Jersey Devils about $55. I'm assuming Rangers would be a better experience, but not willing to pay that for football let alone Ice Hockey, so are the Devils/Islanders still worth going?

Should I leave it nearer the time to buy tickets on Stubhub/Viagogo? or are those prices about standard and as cheap as it'll get.... as there do seem to be LOADS available.

Personally I would buy tickets from the venue when you are over there.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013

Last time I went I purchased tickets to see the Brooklyn Nets (New Jersey Nets at the time), on the day from the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. They were pretty cheap if I remember correctly, however things might have changed now they've moved to Brooklyn mind you.

My turn now. I'm totally clueless so if you'd be kind enough to answer like I'm six years old, what's the score with visas ? (3 x British Passport, spotless (imo))

I am aware BTW that Googles still going but as I've mentioned before I like the first hand, helpful, honest replies you get off yer fellow BHA fans when it comes to serious questions

Last edited:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
My turn now. I'm totally clueless so if you'd be kind enough to answer like I'm six years old, what's the score with visas ? (3 x British Passport, spotless (imo))

The wife and I filled out an ESTA online no visa required. Easy to do and costs only $14 each. Up to 90 days travel and done automatically. Don't pay an outside company good money for something you can do for yourself.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The wife and I filled out an ESTA online no visa required. Easy to do and costs only $14 each. Up to 90 days travel and done automatically. Don't pay an outside company good money for something you can do for yourself.

100% this. Five minute job on the official site and essential to have it - they last for 2 years though not 90 days

Top of the Rock (much better bet than the Empire State)
Central Park
Boat trip if weather good, taking in Statue of Liberty
World Trade Centre site
Grand Central Station (yes really......London Bridge it isn't!)

Avoid shopping - nowhere near as good as people seem to think in Manhattan

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
100% this. Five minute job on the official site and essential to have it - they last for 2 years though not 90 days

Top of the Rock (much better bet than the Empire State)
Central Park
Boat trip if weather good, taking in Statue of Liberty
World Trade Centre site
Grand Central Station (yes really......London Bridge it isn't!)

Avoid shopping - nowhere near as good as people seem to think in Manhattan

Good point. I remembered the 90 days as I believe this is the max allowed in 1 visit and that the actual ESTA is valid for 2 years if you wish to make multiple visits.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Try to book the Top of the Rock for just before sunset if you want to get a nice setting sun over Manhattan view (assuming weather is good) . Boat trip round Manhatten is good but can get really busy in tourist season. Cheap option is take the free Statton island Ferry over and back. Nothing to see in Statton island so just head straight back and get a good deck position for good views on the return trip. The tour buses are also good I found. Ground zero memorial and museum really worth visiting.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We went ove rfor the second time in May. Do the boat trip that goes half way round the island - it takes in going round the statue of liberty and under the Brooklyn Bridge. Don't bother with going to the statue itself as you will spend hours being herded in a cowshed for security checks and processing, then crammed into a boat. If you hadn't booked to go to the plinth, you won't get into the staue anyway. To go to the head you would probably have to book a year in advance by now.
One World is a great experience.
As you are only going fpr a couple of days try not to do things where you will need to queue or are too far out of the way. If weather good, any of the Parks - Battery Park, Washington Park and of course Central Park - see Strawberry Field and Dakota if you are into the Beatles. All free, as is a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge - you can get a water taxi back to Wall Street for peanuts.
Guggenheim art gallery is fantastic but will use up a chunck of time.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Unlike the OP we've got a little more time, probably not enough though (5 days) but as long as I keep the sauce in check we're quite dynamic so should get a lot done. Thanks for your help

Pace yourself - busy day, not so busy day, and try to use the transport rather than walk everywhere. It's easy to do a 12 mile day, but you'll end up paying for it. Food is expensive, so budget for it. Most NY restaurants have wrbsites to give you an idea of prices - and they expect a 15% tip if not already included.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Ground Zero
Stroll in Central Park
Century 21
Katz Deli
Brooklyn Bridge
Harlem Walking Tour I also really loved if you can find one

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Investigate building 7..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If you are doing the Freedom Tower it's worth a quick detour into the WTC transit hub which has just opened - pretty spectacular if you like modern architecture

interior-view-of-the-oculus-world-trade-center-path-station-at-twilight-FY0C6J.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here