Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York - best things to do in 2 days

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Don't go in the bar I did. The manager was a massive fan of The Who.

When I told him I was from the same village as the lead singer lives, I didn't buy a drink. Stupidly ended up in there the next night too.

Didn't see much of New York.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't go in the bar I did. The manager was a massive fan of The Who.

When I told him I was from the same village as the lead singer lives, I didn't buy a drink. Stupidly ended up in there the next night too.

Didn't see much of New York.

Burwash?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Defo do Highline, check out Chelsea food Market. Get over to Brooklyn.

Get the Staten Island ferry and run back round at the other end to come back to see Statue of Liberty. Do not do the actual trip to the Statue of Liberty island as you’ll lose half a day there

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just landed in NYC. Here for 4 days for my wife's 40th. Some great tips on this thread. One thing not mentioned though - where is good to go shopping? I'm not after high end, just a large shopping centre!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is Century 21 still going by the Freedom Tower ?

I bought a smashing Calvin Kline dress jacket a few years ago from there for a fraction of the retail price.

I never ever wore it but what a bargain.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just landed in NYC. Here for 4 days for my wife's 40th. Some great tips on this thread. One thing not mentioned though - where is good to go shopping? I'm not after high end, just a large shopping centre!

There’s a big Westfield at the World Trade Center site. Pretty standard stuff but it’s a large shopping centre.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you take the Statten Island ferry to see the SoL there is a new outlet place right by the ferry terminal. There weren’t too many places open when I was there in July but lots looked close to opening. Might be worth a look if you’re over that way anyway.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Bryant Park and lunch at the Grand Central Oyster Bar.. ( not just oysters)....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A walk on the High Line .... the old Overground / Subway elavation and now public garden..... and if anyone says the wind whistles off the river wear long johns

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
A walk on the High Line .... the old Overground / Subway elavation and now public garden.
I'll go with that... but we did that on New Years day on one of our visits. ... froze my nuts off.... the wind whistles off the river.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I bought a smashing Calvin Kline dress jacket a few years ago from there for a fraction of the retail price.

This....looks a bit like a jumble sale in there but best place for bargains in Manhattan.

If you have the time, get a bus out to the outlet centre at Woodbury Common. It’s about an hour away. All the usual labelled stores present and very much cheaper than in the city.

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/woodbury-common

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Cab ride over Brooklyn Bridge is cool. See how many TV show theme tunes you can think of while going over.

Fanellis Cafe in Soho is a great piece of NY history, one of the oldest businesses in the city that has served food and drink as either a cafe or a grocery store since the mid 1800's.

Proper New York gaff and loads of old grainy photos.

If you want the Soprano's experience, go to the Palermo Cafe in Mulberry St, little Italy, the guy is the real thing, (https://nypost.com/2014/04/30/reputed-mobster-cannoli-king-sexually-harassed-waitress-suit/), we had a coffee in there and he was on the phone swearing like a trooper about the rain. Hilarious.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Yep, still going strong - I was there last weekend, bit of a zoo with all the bargain hunters. For things like Levis you are sometimes better off going to Macys as they seem to have perpetual sales and if you buy one of the tabloids they always have discount vouchers.

It's worth checking out one of the Amazon Go stores for the ultimate high tech shopping experience and they have a pretty good range of snacks and deli items.

Worth heading over to Hudson Yards on the 7 subway to see the new sculpture "The Vessel" by British architect Thomas Heatherwick - need to get tickets in advance.

I quite like New York in the Fall, comfortable temperatures (well apart from yesterday) without the extreme heat or cold you get in Summer and Winter.

To those visiting NYC - have an enjoyable stay

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Sorry if mentioned before!

WTC Memorial is a must imo.

Katz Deli for best & biggest salt beef or pastrami sandwich you will probably ever have!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Eat at Keens in mid town.... 200 year old 'Old English Chop House' .. a great treat, with a superb atmosphere.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
When I was living there I found (unsurprisingly) I got more pleasure from the non touristy bits which were used and visited more by locals. In no particular order:

Riverside Park
Driving range at Chelsea Piers (I know)
PJ Clarke’s ( best burgers in the city)
South St Seaport
North end of Central Park (above the reservoir)
Tompkins Square Park

Oh and my favourite restaurant. The Minetta on McDougal and Bleecker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not read through but, for me, the essential is.
Empire State Building just before sunset.
Over the Brooklyn Bridge to see Manhattan from the other side.
Greenwich Village, Soho, little Italy.
In a short time you get a flavour of the city, that you don't get in museums and art galleries as good as they are.
Central Park is just a park.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Breakfasts are the best, We found this place out of the tourist areas and sat with NY cops, construction workers etc it was the bomb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here