Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Mourinho setting Rooney up to fail?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
After yesterdays lack of performance from Shrek i tuned into talkSPORT on my way to a BBQ and managed to catch a very good phone in.

The simple point was, Mourinho knows Rooney isn't good enough but he's setting him up to fail. He knows he can't just pull him from the squad he needs reasoning for it given he's the club captain and has been there so long.

He will drop him soon enough. And maybe then he can play his £90,000,000 player in the right position?

Opinions?

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
Most over rated player for years
When has he ever turned up for a big game , just goes missing
When he does turn up its against one of the lesser teams ,
total flat track bully
The Graeme hick of football as someone said .

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
total flat track bully

This. He did once threatened to be world class, however that time was during the Euros in 2004. Since then - absolutely nowhere near.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
total flat track bully

He's 4 goals short of the all time top scorer for Manchester United, hopefully he does it by January then pisses off to China

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
He's 4 goals short of the all time top scorer for Manchester United, hopefully he does it by January then pisses off to China

Tbf I'd score goals in some of those man utd teams he's had the privilege to play in .
I'd like to see the stats on the goals he's scored against the bigger teams , compared to the small teams

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Guardiola 'let people know he'd arrived' at City by ditching Joe Hart. Perhaps the Special One missed a trick and should have done the same with Rooney?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
After yesterdays lack of performance from Shrek i tuned into talkSPORT on my way to a BBQ and managed to catch a very good phone in.

The simple point was, Mourinho knows Rooney isn't good enough but he's setting him up to fail. He knows he can't just pull him from the squad he needs reasoning for it given he's the club captain and has been there so long.

He will drop him soon enough. And maybe then he can play his £90,000,000 player in the right position?

Opinions?

You bring in a big manager with a big personality to make big decisions. He should drop Rooney then set the rest of the team up to prove it is the correct decision.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Hope he stays myself, first name I want to see on the Man U team sheet for years to come. Keep trying Blind as a centre back too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the analysis overlooks that they simply dont have alot of manpower up front. Martial and Rashford are good but wide forwards, Ibramovic (?sp) is the only other out right striker. no choice but to play him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Guardiola 'let people know he'd arrived' at City by ditching Joe Hart. Perhaps the Special One missed a trick and should have done the same with Rooney?

This. 'The Special One' is being comprehensively turned over by 'The One In The Sensible Pullover'.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It's no coincidence that England or Man Utd don't play well when Rooney's in the team as almost every time he's on the ball he slows the game down. He also drops into positions that get in the way of others and disrupt the team shape. The England v Slovakia game was a perfect example of that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I wonder who will be the first, Special One or Big Sam to finally realise that Rooney is not good enough and drop him for good ?

It won't be Allardyce, he thinks Rooney is the best player in the World and can 'play where he wants.'

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Wouldn't be surprised if this is true but if so then it's yet another example of how Jose has lost the plot. He's so obsessed with his mind games and conspiracy theories that he's forgotten the basics of management that got him where he is in the first place.

It's right to compare it to the Pep/Hart situation which has already stamped the manager's authority on the team. Instead Jose is fannying about until he feels justified by fans and media to drop Shrek. Hardly the actions of a manager who's in control of the club.

Suits me though as I can't stand Man United or Mourinho.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Man United need to play an extra midfielder at the moment as they are getting overrun in the middle of the park and they don't seem to quite have the balance right in terms of the players in those positions.

In order to play an extra man there which I think will happen eventually, Rooney is likely to be the player to be sacrificed as Mourinho has said already that he doesn't see Rooney as a "number 6 or number 8". If he goes with 3 in midfield comprising Blind holding and Herrera as a playmaker, that will then enable Pogba to have more licence to roam. At the moment playing in a midfield 2, Pogba leaves a trail of space whenever he pushes forward.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
total flat track bully

That's a rather lazy generalisation. There are lots of big matches Rooney has influenced over the years, arguably more so in a club shirt than a national shirt. But to say he hasn't produced in big matches is wrong. The overhead kick against Man City I would pick out just as one example. Not just because of the goal itself, but considering the opposition and also that it was with 10 minutes to go with the score at 1-1. There's been plenty of other examples too. Admittedly, his powers are diminishing now and his touches are becoming heavier than when he was a young player and where he did a lot of things based upon instinct.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
OK two massive problems with this thread:

1. The words talksport and good in the same sentence - TS= inane drivel
2. Mourinho would never set up to fail, hes got his dream job and is trying to win every game

I do concur that Rooney seems to be past his peak, which is a shame, but I will get over it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here