Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob'n'weave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Seen lots of good managers lose pubs because of this approach. The big monopolies (Scottish Newcastle/Whitbread etc) got broken up years ago only to be replaced by lots of little Pubcos doing the same thing. I like the way that the "Bev" has bounced back with the community based approach. More please.
    Enterprise Inns can take a lot of blame as well.

It's a real shame to see pubs closed & boarded up. Two where I live have closed in the past six months. One's becoming flats & apparently the other one has been sold to a micro brewery ....

IMO - drinking habits have also changed in the past 15 years. People are encouraged to drink less & let's face it you don't go to a pub for a cheeky lime & soda.

It's a real shame as pubs are proper communities. I've found jobs, places to live, good friends all thanks to a pub I started going into as a teenager. Which ironically is now a soulless JD Wetherspoon's.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Rates revaluations will lead to a load more closing too. Our pub in London, which is small, but central is facing a doubling in rates bill, from 1400 to 2800 per month once the tapered relief runs out. You can see how the much trumpeted 1000 annual rebate for pubs means in this context, won't even cover one months increase. Need to take an extra 700 a week just to cover the increase

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by crookie View Post
      Rates revaluations will lead to a load more closing too. Our pub in London, which is small, but central is facing a doubling in rates bill, from 1400 to 2800 per month once the tapered relief runs out. You can see how the much trumpeted 1000 annual rebate for pubs means in this context, won't even cover one months increase. Need to take an extra 700 a week just to cover the increase
      BT Sport & Sky Sports base their prices on rateable value so if pubs/bars have had an increase then you're f*cked on that level as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Gull View Post
      Enterprise Inns can take a lot of blame as well.

It's a real shame to see pubs closed & boarded up. Two where I live have closed in the past six months. One's becoming flats & apparently the other one has been sold to a micro brewery ....

IMO - drinking habits have also changed in the past 15 years. People are encouraged to drink less & let's face it you don't go to a pub for a cheeky lime & soda.

It's a real shame as pubs are proper communities. I've found jobs, places to live, good friends all thanks to a pub I started going into as a teenager. Which ironically is now a soulless JD Wetherspoon's.
      Enterprise are a good example. There are a few smaller outfits with under 20 pubs that are not too bad, but as the numbers get larger, the focus tends to shift to bottom line and your nice local becomes an "asset", and the customers/community slip further down the food chain. I miss the London Unity which was a nice place to have a decent pint and a chat, used to make a nice change from the Horse and Groom up the road which is still open, again, just.
      Have you seen the Muppet Show........

0 Not allowed!
      Was a bit of a dive in there tbh

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
      Nibble@Wrong-Direction is one of the biggest idiots on this board.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bobby's Gull View Post
      BT Sport & Sky Sports base their prices on rateable value so if pubs/bars have had an increase then you're f*cked on that level as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Both been ditched. Sky went up from 300 a month to 1200 in about 8 years.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      The planning permission has been applied for by one of the owners of Coldean Pharmacy. If the welcoming atmosphere and customer service is anything like that of the chemist, it will be a wonderful venue. Exciting stuff!
      :guitar:
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bobby baxter View Post
      Why not try The Bevy in Hillside, Moulsecoomb? Friendly, community pub with free bus to The Amex on Saturday match days.
      Simmo lives near that ...his Guinness consumption alone would keep a pub running
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      The planning permission has been applied for by one of the owners of Coldean Pharmacy. If the welcoming atmosphere and customer service is anything like that of the chemist, it will be a wonderful venue. Exciting stuff!
      It's the pharmacist's brother apparently. The pharmacy and local shop are wonderfully run, a superb example of what local shops should be. I'm rather looking forward to the new-look Hiker's
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I am not a great lover of micro brewers but if it keeps a pub as a pub and stops it becoming a shop I am all in favour.