Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another one going - Hikers Rest to close

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But Simmo does have a point though. You mentioned differing brewing techniques when actually your liking (or not liking) a beer was purely down to personal taste. This from an ex-publican (and one who has previously admitted watering down his beers on this very forum. Odd

Isnt it taste that determines the success or otherwise of a beer? I would also point out that I have never watered down beer myself but have been aware of it being done and my 'crime ' was to sell beer which wasnt what it was supposed to be ie Toby Bitter through a Directors pump at one pub I looked after for a chap who was going broke.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I am surprised that a Moulsecoombe lad would be scared to go into the Hikers. I only went a in a few times when I lived in Moulsecoombe and it was no problem. My local was the Ship in Lewes Road. I remember telling my dad the Ship was my local when I was 16/17 and he told me to be careful of that pub, always trouble, but it depends on the customers.

The Ship was my local too and around that time, I may know you ???
My memory of The Hikers was seeing people always being chucked out, or groups beating each other up in the car park.
Always went past but never went in.
It's a bit out the way I think, not close to town enough, bit like the pub that was right up the back of Bevendean.
Surprised it has lasted this long.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
A story I have told many times. I worked in Spain in the 90's in a tourist bar. The bar had three beer taps on a swan neck, all unmarked. Fosters came out of the first tap, Carlsberg the second, Stella the third, San Miguel the second, Skol the first and any other request was pot luck. And of course, you've guessed it, all three taps went to the barrel of Skol under the bar!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I Googled, to have a look at the new American Express building (related to the other thread) and see that my old local in St James Street has turned into Shortts Bar, still easily recognisable from the pictures, but definitely brightened up a bit.
I wonder if Razor still works behind the jumps.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While the planning application mentions pub, microbrewery and shop, the notice outside the Hiker's only mentions the shop.

There's also a petition doing the rounds protesting about the renovation but no-one's approached me, so I can't see what's on it

Bettybooter

Jul 24, 2017
I have it on good authority (I met the new owner the other day) that the pub will reopen as a pub once the refurbishment has been completed, but it will incorporate a new restaurant. He is wanting to attract the pre and post match crowd.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
If it is to be a shop or a restaurant it'll be perfect for the park where we likeys in wild park,won't have far to go when walking out without paying .

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I walked past Sunday, the inside is gutted, can't see it being a pub, cafe, shop or flats for sometime ... if ever!

Whatever they're doing with it, they're not doing it in a hurry that's for sure.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The Ship was my local too and around that time, I may know you ???
My memory of The Hikers was seeing people always being chucked out, or groups beating each other up in the car park.
Always went past but never went in.
It's a bit out the way I think, not close to town enough, bit like the pub that was right up the back of Bevendean.
Surprised it has lasted this long.

Ah... strip at the ship. Once seen, never forgotten. 84-88 at Mithras House.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Yes. it's weird. They announced a grand opening of the new shop in mid-July, opened for one day and promptly closed again.

Heard numerous rumours, including electricity bill not paid and too many walls knocked down and was unsafe. I'm guessing they were all garbage and they were waiting on planning.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Big sign up in local shop that the Hiker's is re-opening this summer - just in time for the start of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here