Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mune ni kamome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The smoking ban doesn't help. Especially round that way. I grew up in Moulscoomb and was scared to go in there late 60's early 70's
    I am surprised that a Moulsecoombe lad would be scared to go into the Hikers. I only went a in a few times when I lived in Moulsecoombe and it was no problem. My local was the Ship in Lewes Road. I remember telling my dad the Ship was my local when I was 16/17 and he told me to be careful of that pub, always trouble, but it depends on the customers.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews View Post
      I grew up in Moulsecoombe in 70s then went to Falmer school, another historic landmark from my childhood gone
      .....along with forty odd years of your life.

Oh, and mine... which doesn't seem quite so funny now!
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      They have but in the 12 years that I've been living in Coldean just two along Lewes Rd have closed - The Counting House/White Crow and The Lectern/Tir Na Nog. The only others along that stretch of Lewes Road that have closed are the Ship and the Alexandra (and they were many years ago). The Gladstone and Bear still survive.

I'm not sure where the Hikers got this reputation from. I grew up in Moulsecoomb so it was the start of the Lewes Road pub crawl, never struck me as a particularly fearsome place
      The Franklin Arms is still open too isn't it? Have I got the name right?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      The Franklin Arms is still open too isn't it? Have I got the name right?
      Yes it is. I was thinking of pubs north of the gyratory system but if you're looking from the Level, we've lost the Racehill as well.

What surprises me most about those is that it's a student area. When I was at uni, it was the pubs near student areas that were always busy. How times change

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion my Albion View Post

Maybe the Indian restaurant will curry some favour.
      And then there were naan.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CorgiRegisteredFriend View Post
      When I was a student at the Poly it was our local pub. The regulars hated us and it never felt that safe a place. Guess it has changed a lot since then- mid eighties.
      I was a mid to late 80s poly boy too at falmer. Lived in Ewhurst road and used to go to the Gladstone and also liked the Bugle. There was a pub actually on the gyratory opposite the Bear but can't remember its name
      Living in the UK's a lot of fun, the cops don't even carry guns,
      and if you're innocent, there's no need to run in the UK

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gordon the Gopher View Post
      I was a mid to late 80s poly boy too at falmer. Lived in Ewhurst road and used to go to the Gladstone and also liked the Bugle. There was a pub actually on the gyratory opposite the Bear but can't remember its name
      It was the Counting House. I worked at the Poly - Mithras House - late 70s.
      Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
      Gator Goose Collison? Is that some American cousin of mine I don't know about?

1 Not allowed!
      A lot of tied pubs suffer due to ongoing hikes in the tenancy agreement, the big brewers seem quite happy for pubs to go under these days. The old ways of The Pub are becoming increasingly untenable these days but the opposite is seen in the young, vibrant Micropubs springing up everywhere.
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

" Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
      A lot of tied pubs suffer due to ongoing hikes in the tenancy agreement, the big brewers seem quite happy for pubs to go under these days. The old ways of The Pub are becoming increasingly untenable these days but the opposite is seen in the young, vibrant Micropubs springing up everywhere.
      Simply because most of the old pubs occupy a lot of land so they become worth more as land for redevelopment than as a pub business. Most micro brew pubs are just large shops in a shopping area adjacent to other shops.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      When will the Lectern become a supermarket?
      The Lectern is not becoming a supermarket. Aldi will be opening up soon in the retail park opposite. The Lectern will be levelled with private Student accommodation replacing it linking in with the 800+ rooms planned for Mithras carpark.
      :guitar: