Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another one going - Hikers Rest to close

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
The smoking ban doesn't help. Especially round that way. I grew up in Moulscoomb and was scared to go in there late 60's early 70's

I am surprised that a Moulsecoombe lad would be scared to go into the Hikers. I only went a in a few times when I lived in Moulsecoombe and it was no problem. My local was the Ship in Lewes Road. I remember telling my dad the Ship was my local when I was 16/17 and he told me to be careful of that pub, always trouble, but it depends on the customers.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They have but in the 12 years that I've been living in Coldean just two along Lewes Rd have closed - The Counting House/White Crow and The Lectern/Tir Na Nog. The only others along that stretch of Lewes Road that have closed are the Ship and the Alexandra (and they were many years ago). The Gladstone and Bear still survive.

I'm not sure where the Hikers got this reputation from. I grew up in Moulsecoomb so it was the start of the Lewes Road pub crawl, never struck me as a particularly fearsome place

The Franklin Arms is still open too isn't it? Have I got the name right?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Franklin Arms is still open too isn't it? Have I got the name right?

Yes it is. I was thinking of pubs north of the gyratory system but if you're looking from the Level, we've lost the Racehill as well.

What surprises me most about those is that it's a student area. When I was at uni, it was the pubs near student areas that were always busy. How times change

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
When I was a student at the Poly it was our local pub. The regulars hated us and it never felt that safe a place. Guess it has changed a lot since then- mid eighties.

I was a mid to late 80s poly boy too at falmer. Lived in Ewhurst road and used to go to the Gladstone and also liked the Bugle. There was a pub actually on the gyratory opposite the Bear but can't remember its name

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was a mid to late 80s poly boy too at falmer. Lived in Ewhurst road and used to go to the Gladstone and also liked the Bugle. There was a pub actually on the gyratory opposite the Bear but can't remember its name

It was the Counting House. I worked at the Poly - Mithras House - late 70s.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A lot of tied pubs suffer due to ongoing hikes in the tenancy agreement, the big brewers seem quite happy for pubs to go under these days. The old ways of The Pub are becoming increasingly untenable these days but the opposite is seen in the young, vibrant Micropubs springing up everywhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A lot of tied pubs suffer due to ongoing hikes in the tenancy agreement, the big brewers seem quite happy for pubs to go under these days. The old ways of The Pub are becoming increasingly untenable these days but the opposite is seen in the young, vibrant Micropubs springing up everywhere.

Simply because most of the old pubs occupy a lot of land so they become worth more as land for redevelopment than as a pub business. Most micro brew pubs are just large shops in a shopping area adjacent to other shops.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
When will the Lectern become a supermarket?

The Lectern is not becoming a supermarket. Aldi will be opening up soon in the retail park opposite. The Lectern will be levelled with private Student accommodation replacing it linking in with the 800+ rooms planned for Mithras carpark.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Simply because most of the old pubs occupy a lot of land so they become worth more as land for redevelopment than as a pub business. Most micro brew pubs are just large shops in a shopping area adjacent to other shops.

True, they are small but functional and not forced to buy Carlsberg but can select real beer to sell. I think it's sad that so many old well loved pubs are going but the flip side is that there has never been so many good beers on the market.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpeg
The beer being delivered today in the Broadway Haywards Heath.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Falmer for me too. Lived in Varley Halls first year. Pretty sure it was The Bear that used to have a Sunday lunch time stripper each week.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They have but in the 12 years that I've been living in Coldean just two along Lewes Rd have closed - The Counting House/White Crow and The Lectern/Tir Na Nog. The only others along that stretch of Lewes Road that have closed are the Ship and the Alexandra (and they were many years ago). The Gladstone and Bear still survive.

I'm not sure where the Hikers got this reputation from. I grew up in Moulsecoomb so it was the start of the Lewes Road pub crawl, never struck me as a particularly fearsome place

Don't forget the Newmarket.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
The smoking ban doesn't help. Especially round that way. I grew up in Moulscoomb and was scared to go in there late 60's early 70's
It always annoys me that the smoking ban gets the blame for the demise of pubs.... in almost all cases it's the defunct business model of the various Pubcos..... buying pubs, charging landlords extortionate rents, then putting them on the market to gain a huge profit from the sale to cover the massive debts these corporations carry to finance the strategy in the first place.

Scandalous

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here