Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countries you would never wish to visit?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So more than 50% i.e.largely, christian.

It's arguable , some sources quote it at above 50% , but we both know that 51 % Christian v 49 % Muslim wouldn't make somewhere worthy of being described as "largely Christian"

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, I went in February this year. I was lucky as I was living in Nairobi at the time so it was only a 2 hour flight to Addis. Stunning landscapes, the old churches are incredible (even for an atheist like myself) and many of the women are simple beautiful. Enjoy, if you get the chance to go you will not regret it.

It's a country with so much going for it.
Extremely rich history and culture.
Christianity reached there long before Europe.
Many different ethnic groups with their own traditions.
Proud African nation. Only one never to be fully colonized by Europeans (Italian's didn't last long there).
Founder of the Organization of African Unity.
Stunning landscape like the Ethiopian highlands.
Beautiful looking women.
Brilliant music, from way back when to the here and now.

Ethiopia - the cradle of humanity!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's arguable , some sources quote it at above 50% , but we both know that 51 % Christian v 49 % Muslim wouldn't make somewhere worthy of being described as "largely Christian"

It's basically a North/South, Muslim/Christian 50/50 split, as you say.
Under Lord Lugard it was divided between the Northern & Southern Protectorate.
He then amalgamated the two.

Nigerians say Nigeria got its name from Lugard's wife saying that she can't live in Niger area anymore. :lol:

Despite the on going religious conflict between the two, to your average Nigerian, tribe is still by far the most important part of self identity.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Have to agree with a lot on here, USA, well Florida actually, horrible place, full of people that just want your money and all so false. Must admit I did like New York though, but Florida has put me off the whole country. Never wanted to go Russia either.

Sounds like you went to the wrong places.
If you go back tootle along to the gulf coast around Panama City,Destin,Gulf Breeze and Pensacola.
Very laid back and not in your face at all. Great beaches, great food esp seafood,loads to do and very relaxed floridians.

Guarantee you will have your mind changed.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Under Lord Lugard it was divided between the Northern & Southern Protectorate.
He then amalgamated the two.

Not forgetting that British Northern Cameroons joined Nigeria after independence, with British Southern Cameroons joining Cameroon.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Fair enough. It should not be described as a Muslim country though, although there is a Muslim majority in the North. The ratio of Christians to Muslims has increased in recent years due to the fact that the catholics are outbreeding the muslims.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Regarding Mexico, and a popular beach resort in the country.
Did nobody see a programme recently about Acapulco.
A once thriving resort frequented by the British, Americans and many others.
It is now deserted apart from a few Mexicans because of drug gangs basically running the place, daily murders and the army patrolling the beach to make it look safe.
Now I know Mexico is a big country and I know there are other beach resorts but Mexico is a dangerous country to visit, wrong place wrong time and all that. But you could also say that about other countries too.

Well, we're off to Mexico City in 6 weeks.....one of our daughters is studying there (as part of her Modern Languages degree). She went to Acapulco for the weekend a few weeks ago.....but stayed with some friends at one of the yacht clubs, so fairly safe. I've obviously been reading quite a bit about Mexico (esp Mexico City) recently, and the general impression I get is that large chunks of the country can be VERY dangerous - massive amounts of drug and people smuggling. However, the other impression I get is that the people are very friendly, and certainly this is the feedback from our daughter. I can't say it's a place that would be top of my list, but I'm still very much looking forward to going.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not forgetting that British Northern Cameroons joined Nigeria after independence, with British Southern Cameroons joining Cameroon.

Nigeria as a nation is a totally European concept unfortunately, as are so many other African countries. It doesn't work particularly well with so many different ethnic groups gathered together in each 'country'.

As you mention Cameroon. It still has a border dispute going with Nigeria to this day, and shares a very similar history.

On that note. Muammar Gaddafi had some very interesting things to say about nation states in his green book. It's well worth a read if you haven't done so already.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Belgium
Crap roads, very odd people and the food, well it's just mussels (which I'm allergic to) and chips.
Been to every corner of it with work and it's not a place I'd even contemplate spending time in through choice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I used to love going to the US. After 9/11 the immigration became a nightmare,not just the bureaucracy but the rudeness of the officials. This also applies on internal flights where foreigners have the boarding passes marked so that they can be singled out for "random" checks when boarding. If you can get past all that aggravation it's a great place to visit, especially, in my opinion, San Diego, the Palm Springs area and Florida.

If you fly Aer Lingus you can go through US immigration in Dublin, which saves a heck of a lot of time at the other end. Did that on my last visits to NYC and SF.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If you fly Aer Lingus you can go through US immigration in Dublin, which saves a heck of a lot of time at the other end. Did that on my last visits to NYC and SF.
As others have said, pointless now.

All the major US cities have esta/visa machines. Takes about 15 minutes to get through security in Vegas/Miami/New york etc.

As for being foreign on an internal flight. Absolutely no issues, treated same as everyone else.

The US is a strange place still. Despite being the king of modern day culture. They are so behind in fashion, club music, the English language etc !!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, we're off to Mexico City in 6 weeks.....one of our daughters is studying there (as part of her Modern Languages degree). She went to Acapulco for the weekend a few weeks ago.....but stayed with some friends at one of the yacht clubs, so fairly safe. I've obviously been reading quite a bit about Mexico (esp Mexico City) recently, and the general impression I get is that large chunks of the country can be VERY dangerous - massive amounts of drug and people smuggling. However, the other impression I get is that the people are very friendly, and certainly this is the feedback from our daughter. I can't say it's a place that would be top of my list, but I'm still very much looking forward to going.

Mexico City has seemed ok to me - far less threatening than Rio or Sao Paulo by comparison. Good restaurants, people friendly and helpful, very cheap, hotels fine, transport OK. If you do get to move around a bit Cancun is a bit of a South American Benidorm full of pissed-up American college kids (if you get your timing wrong). Think you're right about certain parts with drug gangs ruling - as I understand it these are mostly in the North (but pretty scary). Pollution in Mexico City can be very bad so be aware......often have public warnings about being outside for long etc.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Sounds like you went to the wrong places.
If you go back tootle along to the gulf coast around Panama City,Destin,Gulf Breeze and Pensacola.
Very laid back and not in your face at all. Great beaches, great food esp seafood,loads to do and very relaxed floridians.

Guarantee you will have your mind changed.

You are probably right, but if I get the chance of a long haul holiday then I go east, Thailand etc as I know that I will have a great time. Just been put off America by my experiences and understand that I am sure there are some nice parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Belgium
Crap roads, very odd people and the food, well it's just mussels (which I'm allergic to) and chips.
Been to every corner of it with work and it's not a place I'd even contemplate spending time in through choice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I love Belgium. It's one of Europe's secret destinations (Ok, Bruges is hardly a secret).

Belgian food is great. You never had carbonade flamande? Or vispannetje? Or waterzooi? Or chicons au gratin? Or filet americain? Mussels are only a seasonal dish, and you can't even find them (or you shouldn't be able to) for half the year except in the really touristy areas. Anyone who can't find good food in Belgium isn't trying. It's Germanic portions served with French finesse.

Odd people? They're surrounded by arrogant neighbours in the form of the Brits, French, Dutch and Germans, the first three of whom all take the piss out of them. They just seem oddly quiet by comparison because they don't shout about themselves. Can't speak for the ones you've met of course, but some of my best friends are Belgian and they are all welcoming and refreshingly open.

Can't fault you on the crap roads though. There is a thing I like to call the "Belgian bounce": whenever you drive into the country from France, the Netherlands, Luxembourg or Germany there is always an audible "fl-dmp" sound as you cross the border and move from decent tarmac onto decaying concrete.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't be arsed to trawl back and pick out the poster who said the US has little culture but I'm currently in the US and am even more incredulous to their posts.

I'm in Chicago...and Chicago has some of the best skyscraper architecture in the world ranging from revivalist, Art Deco, modernist, post-modern and contemporary. It has the last sky scraper Mies Van Der Rohe built. Frank Lloyd ****ing Wright . It has public art including Gerhy and Kapoor. It has an art museum which is not only stuffed with an incredible array of pieces, and is second to only France on Impressionism and post-Impressionism; the building itself has architectural merit with a wing built by Piano. It's steeped in music history from jazz, blues and house to a current healthy Indy scene. Food and drink culture is strong especially the craft beer scene. I could go on. It even has a Mexican quarter which is seemingly your gauge of US culture.

And Chicsgo isn't unique. I'm fortunate to have travelled to numerous US cities and I have plenty to marvel about. The country isn't perfect, and you might not like it, but to say it lacks culture is truly and utterly ridiculous. Either you don't understand culture, can't see culture or go to the US with a company that looks after its staff with dull lowest-common-denominator hotels and restaurants. Or you're just plain thick? Your posts on this matter are preposterous.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Have to agree with a lot on here, USA, well Florida actually, horrible place, full of people that just want your money and all so false. Must admit I did like New York though, but Florida has put me off the whole country. Never wanted to go Russia either.

Don't go to sunny isles in Miami then........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't be arsed to trawl back and pick out the poster who said the US has little culture but I'm currently in the US and am even more incredulous to their posts.

I'm in Chicago...and Chicago has some of the best skyscraper architecture in the world ranging from revivalist, Art Deco, modernist, post-modern and contemporary. It has the last sky scraper Mies Van Der Rohe built. Frank Lloyd ****ing Wright . It has public art including Gerhy and Kapoor. It has an art museum which is not only stuffed with an incredible array of pieces, and is second to only France on Impressionism and post-Impressionism; the building itself has architectural merit with a wing built by Piano. It's steeped in music history from jazz, blues and house to a current healthy Indy scene. Food and drink culture is strong especially the craft beer scene. I could go on. It even has a Mexican quarter which is seemingly your gauge of US culture.

And Chicsgo isn't unique. I'm fortunate to have travelled to numerous US cities and I have plenty to marvel about. The country isn't perfect, and you might not like it, but to say it lacks culture is truly and utterly ridiculous. Either you don't understand culture, can't see culture or go to the US with a company that looks after its staff with dull lowest-common-denominator hotels and restaurants. Or you're just plain thick? Your posts on this matter are preposterous.

Oooops. I had a few beers when I typed that. It's bit more aggressive than I planned. Please accept my apologies.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I love Belgium. It's one of Europe's secret destinations (Ok, Bruges is hardly a secret).

Belgian food is great. You never had carbonade flamande? Or vispannetje? Or waterzooi? Or chicons au gratin? Or filet americain? Mussels are only a seasonal dish, and you can't even find them (or you shouldn't be able to) for half the year except in the really touristy areas. Anyone who can't find good food in Belgium isn't trying. It's Germanic portions served with French finesse.

Odd people? They're surrounded by arrogant neighbours in the form of the Brits, French, Dutch and Germans, the first three of whom all take the piss out of them. They just seem oddly quiet by comparison because they don't shout about themselves. Can't speak for the ones you've met of course, but some of my best friends are Belgian and they are all welcoming and refreshingly open.

Can't fault you on the crap roads though. There is a thing I like to call the "Belgian bounce": whenever you drive into the country from France, the Netherlands, Luxembourg or Germany there is always an audible "fl-dmp" sound as you cross the border and move from decent tarmac onto decaying concrete.

I can honestly say none of my friends, many of them very arrogant have ever mentioned Belgium at all, ever !!!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Don't take nsc seriously. Most of them only go to Florida anyway.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Fancy a stroll down a Southern French promenade with your family? Or visiting a rock concert in Paris? Perhaps Belgium? Or any large festive gathering in Germany with female relatives daring to show an 'unacceptable' level of flesh?

Where are you going to live if there is a terrorist attack here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here