Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boycott The Sun backed by Liverpool council

Is Liverpool council right to ask for a Boycott of The Sun?

• Yes

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 41 48.8%

• Total voters

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Anybody who boycotts any of Murdoch's publications has my vote.

Publications is one thing, but he also owns Sky, which owns a small percentage of ITV, and such production companies as Love Productions (who make Great British Bake Off).

I do wonder if the Council will now boycott Sky TV and everything that Murdoch is involved in. I guess not, but it is easy to 'ban' a newspaper that people are't buying anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To quote Ian Hislop - you don't ban it, you just don't buy it.

If they want to encourage shops not to stock it, people not to buy it - they can. They shouldn't punish anyone who does, but they're not, so there's no problem.
Asking retailers not to stock it, is not censorship. It would be if the paper was banned, but it isn't. There is no compulsion.
It's not what councils are for though. It's nothing to do with them.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Publications is one thing, but he also owns Sky, which owns a small percentage of ITV, and such production companies as Love Productions (who make Great British Bake Off).

I do wonder if the Council will now boycott Sky TV and everything that Murdoch is involved in. I guess not, but it is easy to 'ban' a newspaper that people are't buying anyway.

Can't say I watch any of those :)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Isn't Brooks back at The Sun?

Interestingly for a paper that has a bigoted, self rightous opinion on most things, its decided not to comment!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Self-righteous,bigoted-pot and kettle?

I do think the Mayor of Liverpool should avoid banning anything in print;

scouser.jpg

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
wasn't it proven in the inquest that they only printed what they were told by their Police informants?

It's the job of a newspaper not just to regurgitate what police informants tell them but to do their own investigating and thinking and to talk to all sides. No other newspapers reported it in this biased way, Kelvin McKenzie personally put the infamous front page together. The police told the same lies to government politicians who also regurgitated them without question. In short, the newspaper willingly took part in an establishment cover-up and the slander of innocent people.

Whether that still merits not buying the paper after so many years - well it's up to the individual isn't it?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Don't think I have read the Sun for 40 years and to my mind it is already banned - However I don't really care what Liverpool Council do or don't do. If people in Liverpool like it then that's fine.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Are you sure he owns Love Productions? They say they are independent.

http://www.loveproductions.co.uk/about-us

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm no fan of Murdoch, but haven't the council got more important things to worry about. If they feel so strongly why don't they start a campaign to move the News International plant out of Merseyside?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It's the job of a newspaper not just to regurgitate what police informants tell them but to do their own investigating and thinking and to talk to all sides. No other newspapers reported it in this biased way, Kelvin McKenzie personally put the infamous front page together. The police told the same lies to government politicians who also regurgitated them without question. In short, the newspaper willingly took part in an establishment cover-up and the slander of innocent people.

Whether that still merits not buying the paper after so many years - well it's up to the individual isn't it?

I agree that it is up to the person, I was listening to 5 live this morning and they interviewed a Councillor who put it forward.

They were asking why it isn't up to the people to decide and she couldn't come up with a valid answer.

I can completely agree with the sentiment behind them not wanting to buy it but think it should be down to the people whether they want to buy the awful crap and down to Newsagents to understand their customer base

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Are you sure he owns Love Productions? They say they are independent.

http://www.loveproductions.co.uk/about-us

It's lunchtime, and I am an accountant: according to their Annual Return (at Feb 2016), Sky Ventures Limited own 7,724 (100%) of the A shares, there are 1,500 B shares, owned by a bunch of people, of whom Anna Beattie is the largest, holding 45.3%. The A and B shares seem to have equal rights. Therefore, Sky own 70% of the company, enough to pass an ordinary, but not special resolution. They made £3.2m profit in the 15 month period to June 2015, yet recorded virtually no tax, for reasons that are not clear, except that they have "Tax allowable deductions" that didn't seem to exist the previous year. Possibly some kind of 100% relief for something or other, but I can't see any purchases of tangibles/intangibles or any movement in deferred tax, so slightly mysterious. I'll have my sandwich now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's lunchtime, and I am an accountant: according to their Annual Return (at Feb 2016), Sky Ventures Limited own 7,724 (100%) of the A shares, there are 1,500 B shares, owned by a bunch of people, of whom Anna Beattie is the largest, holding 45.3%. The A and B shares seem to have equal rights. Therefore, Sky own 70% of the company, enough to pass an ordinary, but not special resolution. They made £3.2m profit in the 15 month period to June 2015, yet recorded virtually no tax, for reasons that are not clear, except that they have "Tax allowable deductions" that didn't seem to exist the previous year. Possibly some kind of 100% relief for something or other, but I can't see any purchases of tangibles/intangibles or any movement in deferred tax, so slightly mysterious. I'll have my sandwich now.

Thanks. Enjoy your lunch.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Doesn't really need the council to get involved IMHO. Leave it to the people to do what's right and boycott that filthy rag.

Whilst you have a point isn't this a contradiction in terms?

Sun readers do whats right?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

It wasn't Sky or the other publications that published an on-going campaign of lies. It was The Sun-a manipulative pile of shit read by lunk heads. Its lies about Hillsborough are still believed by some people.

I'd love to see it banned everywhere in the UK but that will never happen. It helps keep the stupid stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here