Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phones and Driving.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't have enough hands to simultaneously steer round a right turn, change gear, hold a phone and make rude gestures at the person who I have been tailgating for the past five miles because they refuse to break the speed limit so I can get home from the pub in time......

How do people do it - use their knees to steer?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't have enough hands to simultaneously steer round a right turn, change gear, hold a phone and make rude gestures at the person who I have been tailgating for the past five miles because they refuse to break the speed limit so I can get home from the pub in time......

How do people do it - use their knees to steer?
Automatic cars - Just need to use the pedals and *occasionally nudge the steering wheel*

:jester:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Not seen it yet but how about the usual points / awareness option + fine AND you have to buy a hands free kit. Repeat offenders now have no excuse.

I have a hands free and if I'm on a call [not very often]. When I first take the call, I say straight up, "I'm on a hands-free driving so I may need to pause our conversation if I need to concentrate extra on the traffic" - everyone is always very understanding. Then, if I find myself having to negotiate a busy junction or roundabout I have no qualms saying to the caller, "Hold on a mo, I need to concentrate on the road for a moment".

Never do texts, read or send, while driving ....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was actually comparing and contrasting having a conversation with someone on a hands-free mobile and a conversation with a live passenger. Both equally distracting.

Your suggestion appears to suggest banning all activities which involve taking one hand off the wheel, which is entirely impractical and unnecessary. There are numerous legitimate activities which involve removing one hand from the steering wheel.

....... like changing gear........

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As an aside, I am always amazed when watching things like 'Police Interceptors' etc how often you see in-car footage of officers engaged in high-speed pursuits, providing a running commentary back to their control centre by driving with one hand and using the other to activate the pressel on a radio attached to their ops vest.

Why can't police cars be fitted with a dash-mounted switch that opens the mic and allows 2-way communication so officers don't have to conduct high-speed pursuits driving one-handed?

theboybilly

Not seen it yet but how about the usual points / awareness option + fine AND you have to buy a hands free kit. Repeat offenders now have no excuse.

I have a hands free and if I'm on a call [not very often]. When I first take the call, I say straight up, "I'm on a hands-free driving so I may need to pause our conversation if I need to concentrate extra on the traffic" - everyone is always very understanding. Then, if I find myself having to negotiate a busy junction or roundabout I have no qualms saying to the caller, "Hold on a mo, I need to concentrate on the road for a moment".

Never do texts, read or send, while driving ....

Just turn your phone off, it could save you so much heartache later. I've heard all the excuses such as I need my phone for work. It's pathetic. Just pull over and turn your phone on to check things now and again - is this too difficult?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No phonecalls in cars for the driver. End of.

Endless twats fluffing their cuntybollocks driving round Faversham with the phone second only to their dick in the cockpit, these days. I plan to photo them and pass on the details. Grassing is the new Pilates.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As an aside, I am always amazed when watching things like 'Police Interceptors' etc how often you see in-car footage of officers engaged in high-speed pursuits, providing a running commentary back to their control centre by driving with one hand and using the other to activate the pressel on a radio attached to their ops vest.

Why can't police cars be fitted with a dash-mounted switch that opens the mic and allows 2-way communication so officers don't have to conduct high-speed pursuits driving one-handed?

Many of them are (a lot of these programmes are quite old) :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So you're happy for people to break the law despite the law being very clear on the use ofmobiles in a vehicle.

Its a law that is unenforceable, the police can't even scratch the surface. People need to apply common sense and I happen to think that more TV and media advertising is the way to go - it worked in the eighties and nineties changing the culture surrounding drink driving and the same could happen with mobile phone usage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here