Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] New constituency boundary proposals

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well that would be a very different result as there would have to be a coalition. Maybe even a labour, lib dem and green coalition in power.

That triumvirate of self interests wouldn't have lasted a year. There's a misconception by some election bad losers (not NSCers, obviously), that all politicians who aren't Tories have so much in common. Labour would not want to give the Greens any credence that they are anything but a fringe party.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well that would be a very different result as there would have to be a coalition. Maybe even a labour, lib dem and green coalition in power.

you'd most certainly have had a hard right Tory-UKIP coalition. the grand coalition of the left doesnt get enough votes in the last election.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like they've dug up some Empire carving Victorian cartographers to put this together.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I am not a fan of PR, because it puts the power in the hands of the party machines to fill their lists with toadies and lickspittles. You would never get the Portillo or Ed Bollx moments.

It doesn't need to be like that though.

120 constituencies each electing 5 Mp's.
You vote for up to 5 candidates in preference order.
If you don't like Portillo or Balls you don't vote for them.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I am not a fan of PR, because it puts the power in the hands of the party machines to fill their lists with toadies and lickspittles. You would never get the Portillo or Ed Bollx moments.

Only the ridiculous list PR systems. You can have PR where you vote for people, and it leads to many Portillo equivalent moments.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Oh good. Our political system will be even less representative than it was before.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would the "Empire carving Victorian cartographers" be the ones they've got to identify 30 of Labour's safest seats, and abolish them?

Depends if they coloured them pink or not.

1066gull

Bexhill and Battle to lose Burwash and gain Hailsham and Heathfield means we would contest two local elections in two different regions (Rother/Wealden)

Burwash would disappear in a huge constituency probably will called the new "High Weald" constituency

Grim. Just grim

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
All fine and dandy, but should have been combined with a switch to proportional representation at the same time, then every vote really would count and give the people a voice.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's not more democratic. FPTP is a completely legitimate way of democratically electing MPs and there are pros and cons to it as there are with AV.

But once again, I ask - how does AV hand power back to the common man when the voter is still just voting for the same pool of candidates from the same parties to be elected to the same House of Commons? Sure the - percentage splits across parties may be different but it will still be Tory or Labour led under the same Parliamentary structures.
AV gives a more fair representation of the wishes of the people. Surely that gives more legitimacy to the representatives of the people?

It is a farce that the SNP gained 50 seats from just 4.7% of the vote as opposed to UKIP 1 seat from 12.6%. That's pretty undemocratic in my opinion.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
AV gives a more fair representation of the wishes of the people. Surely that gives more legitimacy to the representatives of the people?

It is a farce that the SNP gained 50 seats from just 4.7% of the vote as opposed to UKIP 1 seat from 12.6%. That's pretty undemocratic in my opinion.

It's unlikely that we will have to worry about Scotland's representation in a decade's time. I suggest that, if the Union breaks up, PR stands a far greater chance of reaching the statute book.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's unlikely that we will have to worry about Scotland's representation in a decade's time. I suggest that, if the Union breaks up, PR stands a far greater chance of reaching the statute book.

Do you think? I think if Scotland leaves, the Tory party will be in power at the next election. Without Scotland, labour are done (that's presuming that labour somehow get their act together). I can't see an incumbent Tory government going for pr when they have virtually been handed permanent power.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you think? I think if Scotland leaves, the Tory party will be in power at the next election. Without Scotland, labour are done (that's presuming that labour somehow get their act together). I can't see an incumbent Tory government going for pr when they have virtually been handed permanent power.

Much truth in that. Agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here