Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great British Bake Off: BBC loses rights to Channel 4

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It will be interesting to see if Hollywood and Berry want to stay wealthy with the BBC on their next similar venture, or chase the dollars to become rich beyond their dreams. The BBC will also offer more exposure with far greater viewing figures and publicity.

Over to them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is worth pointing out that Channel 4 is a publicly owned non profit organisation with a public service remit. At least for balance. :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know nothing about Bake Off; it is a show that seems to have passed me by.

However, it seems incredible that Channel 4 have paid £25m without checking if the talent comes as part of the deal. It's a bit like buying a Formula One team without first checking that the drivers, the Team Principal and the Chief Engineer are part of the package.

I bet somebody at Channel 4 was so giddy at the prospect of snaffling the show that they wrote the cheque without reading the small print. Reckon they'll be phoning in sick tomorrow.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

However, it seems incredible that Channel 4 have paid £25m without checking if the talent comes as part of the deal. It's a bit like buying a Formula One team without first checking that the drivers, the Team Principal and the Chief Engineer are part of the package.

I bet somebody at Channel 4 was so giddy at the prospect of snaffling the show that they wrote the cheque without reading the small print. Reckon they'll be phoning in sick tomorrow.

They got carried away thinking this would be the icing on the cake.
They should have used their loaf, £25 million is a lot of dough.
Looks like they may have made a right pudding of it, probably some half baked lard arsed tart.
Probably dragged into the office tomorrow and told to NEFF off.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Its an interesting one.

Channel 4 are very good at making what used to be referred to as "Lifestyle" programmes. In the past much better than the BBC which probably gave the BBC a bit of a kick up the backside. Bake off has a bit of an edge believe it or not. The rude references and the odd "scandal" - yes in context but it makes the tabloids. If you are an independent production company the potential spin offs ( cookware ) etc.. It must be seductive.

But and this is the big but. C4 is a public company with threat of privatisation. Nicking a programme off the BBC looks like bad form. Its supposed to offer a difference.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Greg 'The Veg' Wallace early favourite for new presenter at 9/2, potential link up with Ruby Wax according to twitter rumours?? Also early money for Stephen Mulhern and Ben Shephard.

Chuckle Brothers at 500/1 for anyone who likes a dark horse.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Channel 4 are very good at making what used to be referred to as "Lifestyle" programmes.

Minor point of clarification. C4 don't make any of their own programmes: rather they commission them from independent producers, like - in this case - Love Productions. I agree, they're good at the lifestyle segment.

#BringBackSarahBeeny

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Minor point of clarification. C4 don't make any of their own programmes: rather they commission them from independent producers, like - in this case - Love Productions. I agree, they're good at the lifestyle segment.

#BringBackSarahBeeny
Making / commissioning.. All very complicated these days. BBC will soon be making programmes for other channels too.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Oh please can someone make this happen. I can think of very few programmes that wouldn't be improved by being fronted by the Chuckle Brothers.

When Lucys macaroon cake infused with cinammon and honey fails to rise...

'Oh dear'.....'Oh dear, oh dear'

Match made in heaven

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
£25 million is a lot of dough.

Is it though. Strikes me as still a cheap deal although it looks like it had been seriously undervalued.

If it's true that it's about three times as much as the BBC were paying, that would mean that each episode of GBBO cost just over £200k for the presenters' salaries, the salaries of all the production team and technicians (and there are nearly 50 of them), the hire of the location, the expenses for the cooking and contestants, the transmission costs and the production company mark-up.

You can see where the production company was coming from. For the audiences it was getting, that strikes me as remarkably cheap television. When you think that Sky pays £10m per PL game plus production costs, pulls in about a quarter of the audience of GBBO and still makes money, it's a wonder that the show stayed at the Beeb as long as it did

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it though. Strikes me as still a cheap deal although it looks like it had been seriously undervalued.

If it's true that it's about three times as much as the BBC were paying, that would mean that each episode of GBBO cost just over £200k for the presenters' salaries, the salaries of all the production team and technicians (and there are nearly 50 of them), the hire of the location, the expenses for the cooking and contestants, the transmission costs and the production company mark-up.

You can see where the production company was coming from. For the audiences it was getting, that strikes me as remarkably cheap television. When you think that Sky pays £10m per PL game plus production costs, pulls in about a quarter of the audience of GBBO and still makes money, it's a wonder that the show stayed at the Beeb as long as it did
But you're not including the money it's making from the world wide market, either showing the British version or selling the format.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But you're not including the money it's making from the world wide market, either showing the British version or selling the format.

That's true but that could happen under the new deal too. It doesn't alter the seemingly under valuation of the show

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Time to stop all the talk and leave now.
When will arctic roll 50 be invoked?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
At what point do Channel 4 consider legal advice? The product they bought is clearly no longer the product they thought they'd bought.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
At what point do Channel 4 consider legal advice? The product they bought is clearly no longer the product they thought they'd bought.

You would have thought they had a plan in case this happened.

It does however, give Channel 4 the opportunity to revamp the show and make it bigger than it already is.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Dave Berry, the voice of Come Dine With Me will be in with a shout of this, surely?

Channel 4's main cookery bookings are Jamie Oliver, Simon Rimmer :)lolol: Every time), maybe NIGELLA?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here