Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great British Bake Off: BBC loses rights to Channel 4

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
At what point do Channel 4 consider legal advice? The product they bought is clearly no longer the product they thought they'd bought.
Surely they bought the rights to the format/production rather than the people involved?

Not planning for this eventuality is presumably a fault of C4 themselves?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The product is the format of the show, no? The presenters are contracted to the BBC and not to the show itself I would imagine.

Surely they bought the rights to the format/production rather than the people involved?

Not planning for this eventuality is presumably a fault of C4 themselves?

Clearly you're both right. I suppose I'm just highlighting the fact that the chemistry of the presenters is considerably more important than the format and production. Top Gear has pretty much already shown this. Actually, I'm getting pretty uncomfortable with the way the BBC lose rights to shows it bought (but didn't produce), kicks up a huge media frenzy such that their winning competitors end up with nothing. It is stifling competition.

Edit: it also happens with the football. Channel 5 is shite, certainly, BUT it's not like the Football League show on BBC1 was ground breaking. They also whinge when they lose Premier league rights, going on and on about the death of MOTD.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
At what point do Channel 4 consider legal advice? The product they bought is clearly no longer the product they thought they'd bought.

Contracts with the people is a completely different thing, all they bought is the rights to the show, the format and the name. If they can't tie down the on-screen talent, that's their fault. Hollywood is cashing in and presumably will made a fortune. Maybe C4 were banking on their loyalty to the show rather than the Beeb, I doubt any of them are short of money, really, so they can afford to make their own choices.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

As Danny Baker tweeted, it will soon dawn on the production company that they are the least important aspect of this story, yet they chose to place themselves front and centre by complaining that the BBC weren't paying enough.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paul Hollywood has confirmed he has signed and is staying.

I guess the other three presenters were all well-known personalities before Bake Off, whereas it was the show that made Hollywood.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Actually, I'm getting pretty uncomfortable with the way the BBC lose rights to shows it bought (but didn't produce), kicks up a huge media frenzy such that their winning competitors end up with nothing. It is stifling competition.

Edit: it also happens with the football. Channel 5 is shite, certainly, BUT it's not like the Football League show on BBC1 was ground breaking. They also whinge when they lose Premier league rights, going on and on about the death of MOTD.

I think that's nonsense. The people who go on and on about it are the long suffering viewers who have to put up with inferior replacements all for some spurious free market argument put forward by by ideological nutjobs who've read too much Ayn Rand.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
How many more years did Mary Berry have left in the show anyway ?....

Mel and Sue.... im sure they can be replaced.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be presented by:
Noel-Fielding.jpg

Sandi-Toksvig.jpg

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I just watched the final, I cannot comment on the rest of the series as the final was the only one I watched, but the three in the final would have been lucky to survive week one in the last series

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just out of curiosity have they cooked any sausage rolls...not just one or two but thousands ....for say a sporting event..only i know someone who is interested

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Never watched a single episode, but the online SPACKFEST over the winner being accidentally revealed this afternoon was truly something to behold.

How anyone can get so worked up and excited over watching people cook a pudding is genuinely beyond me.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I just watched the final, I cannot comment on the rest of the series as the final was the only one I watched, but the three in the final would have been lucky to survive week one in the last series

Rubbish mate , this was the highest standard of bakery , really good amateur bakers

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I understand the good reasoning behind the 8 til 9.15 timing, but I gave this series a miss half way through, as it clashed with brilliant dramas such as Doctor Foster. After that, it was hard to get back into it.

IMO, it was obvious that confident Sophie was going to win, six weeks back. Hollywood couldn't hide his admiration and she was the most consistent of the bunch.

Viewing figures I suspect will be massively down on BBC1, but still great for C4 and their advertisers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here