Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens . . . either play him, or sell him..

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm not but he needs competition

Exactly right and precisely what CH himself said at the fans' forum when discussing Pritchard. It's barely worth a discussion really is it, everyone knows we need someone else to challenge a front pair of GM and SB or TH and SB and had we been able to find the right man it would have been him with GM or TH as the preferred pair.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well Hughton played him...

And now Stephens is rowing back on his transfer request and says he might be signing a new contract. Well maybe. "we'll talk about it"

That Tweet ?
“The statement I made was never about wanting to leave Brighton. I’ve enjoyed it here, I’m still going to enjoy it this year.
“What’s been said has been said, I’ve tried to put that behind me now and think of the task ahead this season. I’m still looking forward to being up there at the end of the season and emulate the form we had last year.
“I’ve enjoyed it from day one at this club and I still want to be part of this team this year.”
Contract discussions ?
“Not at the moment, it’s still open for discussion. Not a lot has been said but over time I’m sure we’ll talk about it. At the moment I’m concentrating on getting match fit and enjoying playing for the club.
Huddersfield ?
“That was my second game this season. I missed a bit of pre-season through injury. I feel good and the only way I am going to get match fit is by playing. Hopefully I can continue playing in this team.”

via: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ted_to_leave_Albion_despite_transfer_request/

Perhaps he'll change his Twitter bio back now. Its still resolutely a mere "...."

Last edited:

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London

And now Stephens is rowing back on his transfer request and says he might be signing a new contract. Well maybe. "we'll talk about it"

That Tweet ?
“The statement I made was never about wanting to leave Brighton. I’ve enjoyed it here, I’m still going to enjoy it this year.
“What’s been said has been said, I’ve tried to put that behind me now and think of the task ahead this season. I’m still looking forward to being up there at the end of the season and emulate the form we had last year.
“I’ve enjoyed it from day one at this club and I still want to be part of this team this year.”
Contract discussions ?
“Not at the moment, it’s still open for discussion. Not a lot has been said but over time I’m sure we’ll talk about it. At the moment I’m concentrating on getting match fit and enjoying playing for the club.
Huddersfield ?
“That was my second game this season. I missed a bit of pre-season through injury. I feel good and the only way I am going to get match fit is by playing. Hopefully I can continue playing in this team.”

via: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ted_to_leave_Albion_despite_transfer_request/

Perhaps he'll change his Twitter bio back now. Its still resolutely a mere "...."

All very good to hear. The only slight worry re: whether he really he means it would come from his original tweet (the club have know for 5 weeks that I wanted to leave...'.) My English isn't great but that sentence suggests to me that he may have actually wanted to leave...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

That Tweet ?
Contract discussions ?
Huddersfield ?

He may well sign but he is clearly not happy with what deal is currently on the table so ball is back with the club. I trust him to continue putting in effort on the pitch as it is in his interests to do so.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Thought DS had a very good first half possibly run out of steam towards the end but made the difference

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Thought he made the difference between the way we played on Saturday and the performance last night.

It wasn't just down to him. The whole team apart from Dunk/Duffy played badly at the weekend against a very mobile, capable team who'd done their homework on us. Stephens helped make the difference last night.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It wasn't just down to him. The whole team apart from Dunk/Duffy played badly at the weekend against a very mobile, capable team who'd done their homework on us. Stephens helped make the difference last night.

I think Kayal played better because Stephens was there. He was always available to take the ball from the centre backs. The only down side from a defensive point of view was Bong's distribution!! Defensively we were pretty much back to our best. Just need a bit more potency at the other end.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think Kayal played better because Stephens was there. He was always available to take the ball from the centre backs. The only down side from a defensive point of view was Bong's distribution!! Defensively we were pretty much back to our best. Just need a bit more potency at the other end.

I agree with you although I think the player that made the biggest difference between the two games was Bruno, he was pants on Saturday and put too much pressure on Duffy whereas last night he was almost peerless!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Stephen was puffing big time midway through the second half, he's still not yet match fit. However it was great to have those two back together again. They should now stay together unless injuries/suspension kicks in as they are the best midfielders we have.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For the first time this season we looked solid in midfield and having Stephens alongside him benefitted Kayal. Lets hope an improved contract is offered to him in the next couple of months and he acccepts and both sign it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For the first time this season we looked solid in midfield and having Stephens alongside him benefitted Kayal. Lets hope an improved contract is offered to him in the next couple of months and he acccepts and both sign it.

From the Argus this morning -

Stephens, the subject of six rejected bids from Burnley, is out of contract next summer and there have been no developments so far in agreeing a new deal. He said: “Not at the moment, it’s still open for discussion. Not a lot has been said but over time I’m sure we’ll talk about it. At the moment I’m concentrating on getting match fit and enjoying playing for the club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Stephens, the subject of six rejected bids from Burnley, is out of contract next summer and there have been no developments so far in agreeing a new deal. He said: “Not at the moment, it’s still open for discussion. Not a lot has been said but over time I’m sure we’ll talk about it. At the moment I’m concentrating on getting match fit and enjoying playing for the club.

I would think it will happen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unlikely as Burnley may continue at a lesser price in January :)

My impression from that Argus report is that he wants to play for us but wants a big rise similar to what he was offered at Burnley and that the tweet about missing the opportunity of playing in the premier was just nothing really. He knows that he can get there with us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My impression from that Argus report is that he wants to play for us but wants a big rise similar to what he was offered at Burnley and that the tweet about missing the opportunity of playing in the premier was just nothing really. He HOPES that he can get there with us.

Corrected for you

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Hugely encouraging that :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here