Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match Day Experience - What happened today?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sodexo pay the going rate for bar staff/catering staff and its above minimum wage, use "agencies worth their salt" to recruit staff (BrightonandHoveJobs.com amongst many), and ask for experience.
They might end up with people who on their first day struggle but its not "pathetic counter -productive penny-pinching".

As predicted...

We'll no doubt now get a strongly-worded essay from PB (or his junior minister of information) lecturing us on just how difficult it is to sell pies and pints to punters at a football match. Meanwhile, another five figure sum of potential catering turnover is lost forever. Oh well, none of us will starve. It's only the bottom line that will truly suffer.

Why don't you and your paymaster jog on over to the catering thread and take a look at the end product of the pathetic counter-productive penny-pinching?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As I was queuing for my final pint prior to kick off in the West Upper, the lad serving completely ran out of his change in his till. My 4 pound coins and a 20 pence and 10 pence kept him going for a bit, but he didn't appear to know what to do or who to ask to get more.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
ESU bargains all round. Mate got cheap food. My usual came up cheaper BUT as I am always moaning about the till being wrong and demanding my 30p back, on this occasion when I was undercharged I gave the girl the correct money, which totally confused her and she gave it back in the end. Good service though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As predicted...

Why don't you and your paymaster jog on over to the catering thread and take a look at the end product of the pathetic counter-productive penny-pinching?

You think the answer to the list of problems and snafus is because Sodexo can't use an experienced agency to provide them with staff (they do), don't pay the going rate (they do), don't ask for staff with experience (they do).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sodexo pay the going rate for bar staff/catering staff and its above minimum wage, use "agencies worth their salt" to recruit staff (BrightonandHoveJobs.com amongst many), and ask for experience.
They might end up with people who on their first day struggle but its not "pathetic counter -productive penny-pinching".

Are you serious?
I'm sure you post this stuff just for a reaction, I mean Chailey Jem the main club licker :) please tell me it's all a wind up :)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Harvey's stand outside was setup with 2 people taking money and separate bloke pouring the Golden ale. The two people were literally doing nothing when I was there.

Dithering staff inside.

It can't be that hard,

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Harvey's stand outside was setup with 2 people taking money and separate bloke pouring the Golden ale. The two people were literally doing nothing when I was there.

Dithering staff inside.

It can't be that hard,
They did he same at the Forest and Rotherham games! I spoke to them when I got to the front and still they continued with their 8-bit droid intelligence. Honestly, the Amex employs really STUPID people! The evidence is there for all to see every week. It's depressing really.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You think the answer to the list of problems and snafus is because Sodexo can't use an experienced agency to provide them with staff (they do), don't pay the going rate (they do), don't ask for staff with experience (they do).

They may ask for staff with experience, some staff have experience, but there are lots that haven't got any at all.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Also have to say the PA system was terrible today too.

Disagree, it was a massive improvement in the WSU as I could actually have a conversation with fans around me before the match and at half time.
Sometimes it's so loud i can't hear myself think, especially the adverts.
Also some decent music was played at half time.

The match must have been poor if I noticed stuff like this. :)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Too slow it the main complaint. It's only pints pies and burgers, why does it take them so long? The contactless payment story we were sold by Barber as the reason to get rid of E cash hasn't happened either. 1 till out of 5 accepts contactless. Joke.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I hate jobsworth, self important, sargent major, idiotic, stewarding.

The thing is that at venues where they employ off-duty servicemen and women, they treat you like a gentleman, being polite and friendly and seeming like they genuinely want to offer a service. Sure, if you acted like a prat they would intervene, but most don't do so. Lord's and Wimbledon are the clearest examples, and the Olympics after G4S cocked up. The contrast between the stewarding at Lord's and the Oval couldn't have been more marked. At the Ashes Test in 2005 they were treating Surrey members (which Dad and I were then) like dirt.

While I can't comment on the catering yesterday, the Bridge car park was an absolute nightmare to get out of. I left before the final whistle, needing to get somewhere (yes, I should have parked in Lewes and got the bus), but I might as well not have bothered. You would think with everybody having to park there they would have had stewards directing everybody out. No, they just stood about, with their hands by their sides, watching the chaos.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have no doubt they use "use an experienced agency to provide them with staff (they do), pay the going rate (they do), ask for staff with experience (they do)." But what they clearly unequivocally do not do is due-dillegence.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The thing is that at venues where they employ off-duty servicemen and women, they treat you like a gentleman, being polite and friendly and seeming like they genuinely want to offer a service. Sure, if you acted like a prat they would intervene, but most don't do so. Lord's and Wimbledon are the clearest examples, and the Olympics after G4S cocked up. The contrast between the stewarding at Lord's and the Oval couldn't have been more marked. At the Ashes Test in 2005 they were treating Surrey members (which Dad and I were then) like dirt.

While I can't comment on the catering yesterday, the Bridge car park was an absolute nightmare to get out of. I left before the final whistle, needing to get somewhere (yes, I should have parked in Lewes and got the bus), but I might as well not have bothered. You would think with everybody having to park there they would have had stewards directing everybody out. No, they just stood about, with their hands by their sides, watching the chaos.

Was this your first time using that car park? It's always a nitemare to get out of...best to stay behind for half an hour and enjoy the catering experience :whistle:

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I popped down to get a bite to eat when Brentford went 0-1 up (comfort food). Just me and this other bloke at the counter. His attitude towards the staff was embarrassing......'am I gonna get served or what'? Followed by whatever he ordered. No please or thanks and looking at the staff like they were shit on his shoe. I said to the kiddy serving me 'we're not all like that' and went off to scoff my cheeseburger.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I've given that up sometime ago. Not just at the Amex, retail in general! Sadly it appears that logic isn't part of any educational curriculum nowadays. I eventually got weary of assistants staring back as though it was that was 'me' that was simple! No they hadn't grasped why your Mrs gave them the 20p! Trouble is I guess the "computer says CHANGE £2.80" that's what it has to be :rolleyes:

To be fair modern tills where everything has to be scanned don't lend themselves to people suddenly offering the extra 20p especially after they have typed in what was originally handed over. It doesn't make things easier like it used to, in fact it makes it just about impossible. It's called progress

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
To be fair modern tills where everything has to be scanned don't lend themselves to people suddenly offering the extra 20p especially after they have typed in what was originally handed over. It doesn't make things easier like it used to, in fact it makes it just about impossible. It's called progress

The progress hasn't got as far as the contactless payment machines.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I popped down to get a bite to eat when Brentford went 0-1 up (comfort food). Just me and this other bloke at the counter. His attitude towards the staff was embarrassing......'am I gonna get served or what'? Followed by whatever he ordered. No please or thanks and looking at the staff like they were shit on his shoe. I said to the kiddy serving me 'we're not all like that' and went off to scoff my cheeseburger.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think this is a good point actually. As frustrating as it is, it's pretty poor to be rude to the youngsters. I doubt they'd be so rude to someone their own size

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here