Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Maenpaa must be livid

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
He can do OK and still not deserve to start IF the Finn is better. He got his chance, did little wrong and infact looked better (all be it not in a long enough stint to KNOW) so I think he should have kept the shirt.

That said if Finn had started, would we be bedwetting if he'd made a mistake and 'cost' us the game?

Some people don't seem to be concerned that Stockdale has made a string of errors since returning in goal, just because he was good last season. Lets face it Maenpaa couldn't of done any worse than him in the last few games.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well if we are to take him to task for that then I'll suggest that Duffys pass back wasn't that clever...or that for the first goal the problem stemmed further up the pitch

His distribution is generally ok, but there has also been many occasions when he has been sloppy and given the ball away too cheaply. I mentioned my unease on the official match thread about 30 seconds before they scored so I'm not looking for a scapegoat post match.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...h-Thread-***&p=7586755&viewfull=1#post7586755

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
One of our very best players last season but so far has looked like the Stockdale under Hyppia. His distribution alone is nowhere near the level of last season. I thought he was certainly at fault (although not solely) for the first goal. Got his angles wrong as he came out and made it far too easy for the striker. The second one I'm less sure about - yes it was near post but was a hell of a strike.

He also seems to be carrying quite a bit more weight than last season (as he was in first season). Really think it may be time to give Maenpaa a run - he did nothing wrong and, as others have said, must feel pretty disappointed to lose his place...

How I feel.

It is no coincidence that he had a limited pre-season under Hyypia and again this season due to his foot injury.

Great chap but needs a rest, even his distribution is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My heart sank first time I saw Stockdale. After PIG he was . . . disappointing. Great at saving shots that are right at him . . . . but no 15 points' worth of miracle saves a season from him. After all this time, its time for change IMNSHO

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I wasn't at the game today so I don't know what his performance was like . But he was arguably one of our players of the season last year . Stick with him and boost his confidence

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have seen todays goals now - When you look at almost every goal conceded so far this season there is an element of ''could he possibly have done better ? '' about them

So in that regard there is a consistency of doubt about his capabilities and for that reason I would drop him - although today I don't think the goals conceded in this match on their own merit being dropped in the next match.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I am sorry to say with Stockdale as first choice keeper we will never get promoted , makes too many mistakes , time for a change I think

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just seen the goals on Sky, his positioning for the first goal was terrible

This big time! In real time at the game as their player broke I screamed about the inexplicable step he took to his left. It was obvious he was struggling to know where his post was and this meant it was way too easy to be beaten at his near post.

And sorry but I mentioned this last season. He's carrying too much weight for a modern pro footballer.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I have never been Stockdale's biggest fan but, last year, he redeemed himself a little in my eyes. This season, however, I think he's been shocking. When at the Reading match he looked woefully short of confidence and looked as if something was preying on his mind and this has continued - I wonder if there are problems somewhere else in his life which he's letting get to him. From what I have seen of Maenpaa (and indeed Robert Sanchez) both are,currently at least,far better than Stockdale. Admittedly it doesn't help with the gaping hole which seems to open up in the right side of our defence almost at the will of the other team . . .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This big time! In real time at the game as their player broke I screamed about the inexplicable step he took to his left. It was obvious he was struggling to know where his post was and this meant it was way too easy to be beaten at his near post.

And sorry but I mentioned this last season. He's carrying too much weight for a modern pro footballer.

Same here. He favours his left side so much, that he puts weight on it and then struggles to readjust. He committed himself far too early for the first goal and gave Hogan far too much room to put the ball in. His positioning was way out all game. He dived full length to concede a needless corner, from a shot going two yards wide. He was rushing out from goal at the wrong times and generally looked unsettled. His distribution was poor.
I also agree about his weight. He doesn't look agile and mobile enough to me. He was at fault for the opening goal at Reading and again committed himself to his left at Newcastle, giving himself too much to do with Lascelles header. I was worried about him two seasons ago, when he was continually getting down slowly on his right side and sides were scoring across him all the time. Last season his confidence grew as the team soared away but that fragility seems back and is worrying. I don't know how hard he is working at his game or fitness but on recent evidence, it isn't enough.
Fans are defending him on the basis of a good last season but we all know you are only as good as your last game. This is now one of CH's biggest decisions.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have seen todays goals now - When you look at almost every goal conceded so far this season there is an element of ''could he possibly have done better ? '' about them

So in that regard there is a consistency of doubt about his capabilities and for that reason I would drop him - although today I don't think the goals conceded in this match on their own merit being dropped in the next match.

The first one definitely did. For me positionally it was equivalent to letting the ball go through your hands.

Taking him out of the firing line will not do any harm, as despite two good saves he is a shadow of himself.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Last season Stockdale was superb but the start of this he has struggled....

I believe he had a foot injury which ended up being Morton's Neuroma.....I can only comment on how long it took my mum to get properly back on her feet after the operation and it was a good couple of months before she was moving properly and not conscious of her foot. If that is the norm, how can a professional footballer train properly and keep in tip top condition?

I think Manepaa deserves a chance now....I thought he was superb against Rotherham....strong and commanding and gave the defence confidence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here