Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Filbert Street was the same.

I seem to remember, much like Elland Road, it was all about the main stand with everything else being as it was at the turn of the century.
After Stuart Munday's goal, and Case's comedy sending off, my other memory of the night was walking along a row of terraced houses, going into the ground through the away turnstile, as the terracing carried on down the road.

That East Stand became the away end at Filbert Street, once it went all-seater. There was nurses accommodation around that terraced road which made acquiring the properties nigh on impossible and couldn't be developed on. That main stand they built, which opened in 1993, didn't even see 10 seasons.

theboybilly

That's precisely why I love playing them. They're proper mental and when you played Luton they always made sure you remembered it. It gave away days an extra edge to it that you don't get going to see the Albion play Macclesfield or Cheltenham. The fans are a reflection of their town - it's horrible, it's run-down but they still love it.

Luton were completely shafted by the FA by that 30 points deduction and just as importantly by the powers that be allowing MK Dons to set up shop bang smack in the middle of them and Northampton. Football needs its Millwalls and Lutons every bit as much as it does the media-friendly clubs like Brighton. It's a huge part of our English football heritage.

That 30 point deduction for Luton sticks in my craw when you think what the cheats up the road got away with

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Flower pots and shopping trolleys come to mind.
However a new ground would be a good thing for all football fans .��:nono:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I really don't know what to think anymore,.

When we were still at Gillingham I wrote an article for Scars And Stripes saying that if Palace ever did a Fans United I'd go (in the away end) because you need a rival as much as you need your own club (I still believe this BTW). So if I was ok to support them then getting behind Luton shouldn't even be a decision. I should just do it.

Yet what we are saying here is that they deserve a new stadium because they are so genuine and because the old one, while totally shit, was a proper football day out. So we're supporting gentrifying them because we admire their authenticity. At this point the number of paradoxes involved melts my brain.

Be careful what you wish for. I was talking to a West Ham fan on Monday morning about their move and he was scathing about it, In fact won't be going again. Before it was all about what pub or chippy you were meeting your mates in and you arrived in your seat to be centimeters away from the pitch. Now it's a long walk from Stratford station through the middle of nowhere to be sat in a stadium that used to encompass a running track, no matter how much they widened the pitch for the first match. All the faces are getting banned for standing. It will be full of bearded Hoxton wankers in five years flat.

Is this actually what we want?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh, and Filbert Street. Was nearly arrested in the road full of terraced houses for spitting out my chewing gum in to a drain. As the copper was talking to me I could see a police horse taking a massive shit in the middle of the road.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
On the horns of a dilemma with this one. Don't like Luton the town, don't like Luton the club, Luton fans? ...mehhh, Kenilworth Road is a complete dump BUT they are giving Christian Walton and Nathan Jones superb experience which may well benefit us in the long run.....ok, I'll sign it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nah. Don't like Luton. Hate Leeds and Millwall more mind you. Dinosaur club, horrible run down dive of a town. They should groundshare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here