Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i360 buggered

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Looking at my Twitter & FB there were 1901ers on the stuck flight and Hughton & Bruno were either on it or next on.

Massive **** up to be honest. Getting stuck on local VIP night is a disaster. I won't be going on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*No 1901ers, the 'flight' that got stuck was a corporate event that was on before the Albions event. After it came down Bruno did get on it ready for the first 1901 ascent, but it never got off the ground and was on evacuated.

*there may have been 1901ers on it , but they were attending a different corporate function.

Last edited:

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Let's be honest, while I feel sorry for the people who got stuck and needed the loo, plus those 1901 whingers who were probably secretly delighted they were cancelled as it gave them something to whine about, there's something quitrle charming about all this. Very 'Albion' to break down on corporate day, quite amusing really.

Of greater concern is that it's only a month old and broken down twice in a week. Huge PR disaster. Is this going to become a weekly event? Should people expect the risk of getting stuck?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I don't know if it was mentioned on the other i360 thread but the thing about it not going to the top the other day because of 'low cloud' was amazing.

Was that policy understood at the start? With our mild, maritime climate, low cloud is something we get a lot of so are they expecting only to go as high as the cloud allows?

I can understand holding it for a while just below the cloud base so people get the highest possible view but it should go to the top whatever. Does the London Eye stop in fog?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If you won't go on it because of this:
Don't go in cars, trains, planes, cable cars, lifts, escalators, or anything mechanical that moves

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If you won't go on it because of this:
Don't go in cars, trains, planes, cable cars, lifts, escalators, or anything mechanical that moves

Most of the modes you mention are used for a purpose, i.e. getting from A to B without being @rsed around.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From their website:

http://britishairwaysi360.com/plan-your-visit/faqs/

"Can the vertical cable car "get stuck"?

Unlike, an alpine horizontal cable car, British Airways i360 is extremely unlikely to ever “get stuck”. Why? Firstly, if there is a power cut, we have a back up generator at our site. In the unlikely event that we had a total system failure, we can bring the pod down ‘manually’ using gravity and the brake, since the pod weighs more than the giant counterweight inside the tower. We even have a second spare brake!"

Doesn't mention that it'll take TWO HOURS, but hey ho.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Anyone else remember having to get off the number 6 as it was halfway up the last bit of Bear road as it started to overheat. The bus would then wait at the top to let people get back on.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
100000+ have already been on it - how many are needed to repay the loan?

A good start anyway (apart from the break down)

Friend of mine went on it last week during school holiday time. They arrived early and were told no problem to go on an earlier "flight" than the one they had booked. Their "flight" had about 80 people in the 200 capacity pod. If that's the best they can do in the way of numbers during the summer school holidays, then they're going to be nowhere near their forecast.

Money could have been well spent on something worthwhile like starting the rebuilding of the West Pier.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Money could have been well spent on something worthwhile like starting the rebuilding of the West Pier.
Shirley the uppy-downy thing is just the 21st centuries version of the walky-out thing.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Friend of mine went on it last week during school holiday time. They arrived early and were told no problem to go on an earlier "flight" than the one they had booked. Their "flight" had about 80 people in the 200 capacity pod. If that's the best they can do in the way of numbers during the summer school holidays, then they're going to be nowhere near their forecast.

80 x 15 quid is £1200 per flight, plus drinks.

What's their forecast?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why is that funny?

Because this was a political folly that highlights how pathetic our local politicians are. They couldn't even get the warning signs when private enterprise refused to back the project. Yet the egos of Kitcat and Theobald meant they did a dirty deal to put taxpayers at financial risk. They were warned but decided to ignore the warnings ...... now the predictions are proving to be true.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

What's their forecast?

I don't have to hand but their visitor forecast meant they would have to have full pods running 12 hours a day almost every day of the year.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

What's their forecast?

Already exceeded their summer target in just three weeks, 100,000+ visitors already. It's looking like it's going to be a nice little earner for the council.

Shame about the embarrassing turn of events yesterday but it won't put me off going on it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Obviously it won't be full every flight, they reported 100,000 customers last week, they are estimating 700,000 per year, but the loan repayments can be met with 350,000 customers per year.

Not forgetting they have a fine dining restaurant at beach level which will bring in additional income.

I think it will be fair to see where they are after a year in business. I forecast a success and a money machine for the council. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here