Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i360 buggered

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Stuck TWICE today! It's becoming an embarrassing joke. Who the hell is going to take a ride in the thing if there's a distinct chance you'll be trapped? Not good for the city and not good for British Airways. Wonder if they're reconsidering their sponsorship?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So I've just spoken to a gentleman who has travelled from Kent to go on the tower. He tried to phone them after the reports on BBC this morning but got no reply. Bad PR. I guess he'll be offered a refund or another ticket, not much conselation for his day out and other expenses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So I've just spoken to a gentleman who has travelled from Kent to go on the tower. He tried to phone them after the reports on BBC this morning but got no reply. Bad PR. I guess he'll be offered a refund or another ticket, not much conselation for his day out and other expenses.

The BBC report quotes a bloke from Essex who had the same disappointment. Still, they'll both get a refund and it's not like there's not plenty of other stuff to do in B&H on this fine late Summer day.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
More Misery For i360: Now 76 Passengers Demand Refund After Hungover Mans Flatulence Results In ‘Ride From Hell’

Louise Sunsil had traveled with her husband and two kids from Eastbourne as a treat for her birthday. She describes how the celebration, and the air, quickly turned sour, ‘All was going fine, we boarded the pod and we were all really excited but about a minute in I noticed a horrible smell. To be honest I thought it was my husband but he protested his innocence, he thought it was funny at first but he soon changed his tune as it got worse. By about halfway up it was unbearable, I was constantly gagging, the kids were crying, my hubbies eyes were watering, one woman was physically sick on the floor. It was obvious who it was coming from there was this one guy who was smirking away to himself and no one would go near him. We were all packed over one side with our hands over our noses and he was on the other just letting rip at will. We begged the staff to take us back down but they said they couldn’t, to be fair they were struggling just as much us. I have honestly never smelt anything like it, you could almost see it as it was so thick, I can still taste it at the back of my throat now’ she said.

The Bulletin managed to track down man who subjected the passengers to the misery. The man from Croydon who asked not to named provided us the following statement – ‘I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all the passengers who had to put up with my arse blasts, I will admit they were some real crowd splitters, definitely the strongest I can ever remember doing. Me and my mates had been for a curry and then down to Brewdog for a skin full. F*** me that craft ale doesn’t half play havoc with your guts. The next day they were all in bed being hungover but I didn’t want to waste the day so I though feck it lets give that new tall thing a go. As soon as I stepped on I knew I had made a mistake, I tried to hold it in but it was no good. I was quite proud of the first couple but when people started to notice I did feel a bit bad especially when the woman was sick but by that point I was too far gone and I just couldn’t stop them. When it finally came back down I thought I was going to be lynched so I got out of there sharpish and pegged it back to my hotel. I’m gutted I missed out on the free ride and drink to be fair.’

https://brightonbulletin.com/2016/09...ide-from-hell/

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
what with the cheesgrater, walkie talkie, and all the other cutsie names for new buildings, why hasnt Brighton nicknamed the i360 The Syringe?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Some of the PR could have been better and also you would like to think some of the technical failures could have been more rigorously tested before the attraction opened to prepare for that eventuality.

That said, it does seem to me that some parts of the media are almost willing the i360 to fail at the moment. I think that's a shame. Over the course of time, I'm sure it will be a success and will certainly create a lot of revenue through tourism.

When the seafront is vibrant and the sun is shining bright, I can't think of many other places I'd rather be in the UK than Brighton.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i read over the week end that he faults are due to the bar, its positioned on one side and so when most people congregate there it creates an imbalance of weight. daft that they didnt think of that.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
i read over the week end that he faults are due to the bar, its positioned on one side and so when most people congregate there it creates an imbalance of weight. daft that they didnt think of that.

Not been and also have no idea where the bar is situated,but also 180 degrees is virtually looking at Sea,therefore one could conclude that a certain amount of people would be on one side of the platform at any one time.....agree,seems odd that the factors were not allowed or perhaps,it really is merely a case of the tolerances of the safety settings were set just a touch too tight on the sensors..

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Some of the PR could have been better and also you would like to think some of the technical failures could have been more rigorously tested before the attraction opened to prepare for that eventuality.

That said, it does seem to me that some parts of the media are almost willing the i360 to fail at the moment. I think that's a shame. Over the course of time, I'm sure it will be a success and will certainly create a lot of revenue through tourism.

When the seafront is vibrant and the sun is shining bright, I can't think of many other places I'd rather be in the UK than Brighton.

It would be impossible for it to fail but it is an eyesore tbf. It looks sort of ok when the pod is in use but 70% of the time it is not in view and it just looks like an industrial chimney.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It would be impossible for it to fail but it is an eyesore tbf. It looks sort of ok when the pod is in use but 70% of the time it is not in view and it just looks like an industrial chimney.
I don't like the look when the pod is down, but I think it looks great when the pod is up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When I go along the seafront it feels like someone is holding a pencil close to my eye. I will never get used to it visually.
I understand, traumatic memory I'm sure.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not been and also have no idea where the bar is situated,but also 180 degrees is virtually looking at Sea,therefore one could conclude that a certain amount of people would be on one side of the platform at any one time.....agree,seems odd that the factors were not allowed or perhaps,it really is merely a case of the tolerances of the safety settings were set just a touch too tight on the sensors..

The bar is on the sea side, so I presume the designers imagined it would balance out. Sadly it seems they underestimated the desire for alcohol of the average inhabitant of Sussex.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't like the look when the pod is down, but I think it looks great when the pod is up.

Agreed. I think it they could have made it more colourful (not sure how feasible that would have been) then it would be more 'attractive' when the pod is down.

Personally, I think it looks much better at night with the pod lighting. :)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That reminds me - I really need to organise giving away my code for a free 'flight'. My plan was some kind of competition but I don't know how many people would actually be interested.

Edit - just had an idea

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Or maybe they were set to do just what they were supposed to do. And now they don't. Sincerely hope the doubtless enormous pressures from 'stakeholders' just to get the thing up and running again and out of the headlines hasn't led to any compromises on safety settings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here