Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dublin / Ireland any must see do things?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We have never been and so my wife and I have booked a few days in October. Arrive late pm Sunday. Booked hotel Sunday and Monday in Dublin. Have a car hire booked for Tuesday Wednesday and are leaving to go to Gatwick Wednesday afternoon.

We thought of the open top bus tour on Monday but what else does NSC sages recommend?

Also any suggestions of where to go on Tuesday and staying overnight?
Would love a night in a pub with live music .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Guinness brewery tour is a must.
Head for Temple Bar area, there will be a pub with the "diddly diddly" music as Mrs H calls it

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Nice long drive to Kerry , do the ring of kerry no need to go da da da da da dar der der , after that keep going to Dingle via Inch strand , strap a surfboard on the fiat 500 , when in Dingle sample everything , do not miss out the little back street pubs .

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Guinness brewery tour is a must.
Head for Temple Bar area, there will be a pub with the "diddly diddly" music as Mrs H calls it

Prepare to pay a small fortune for drinks though.

I must admit Dublin was probably the second most disappointing of city breaks I have been on (behind Moscow). I'm not sure what I expected really but it is just like visiting a boring northern town (think Preston or Huddersfield with a river in the middle).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I must admit Dublin was probably the second most disappointing of city breaks I have been on (behind Moscow). I'm not sure what I expected really but it is just like visiting a boring northern town (think Preston or Huddersfield with a river in the middle).

Totally agree. I expected it to be full of jolly Irish folk up for the "craic" when in reality it was either incredibly touristy (certainly as bad if not worse than Edinburgh) or just grotty pubs full of objectionable piss heads. Chuffing expensive as well. I'd bugger off over the other side to Galway much nicer IMO.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I was also very disappointed.

7 Euros a pint, and the locals avoid Temple Bar like the plague, so you're just drinking with hen/stag do's most of the time.

I had a look the other day and there are so many cheap flights to Budapest/Krakow/Barcelona etc where you'd have a far better weekend, and can drink cheaper too.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Toners pub / Doheny and Nesbitt's / The Brazen Head for Guinness and a Powers chaser.

Croke Park tour and Gaelic Athletic Association Museum

Dublin Writers Museum and National Gallery of Ireland for a bit of culture between the drinking.

As you're not going Friday/Saturday night you'll maybe be lucky and not trip over loads of stag/hen parties.

If you're not fond of Guinness and Irish Whiskey, you'll probably not enjoy it much!

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
Totally agree - its my least favourite european city but that said - the one highlight of being there was seeing the book of kells - which was interesting if you like books bound in skin!

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I must be in the minority as i have always had a great time when i have visited friends in Dublin. Not quite as touristy as temple bar, but this pub was good fun http://www.odonoghues.ie/ a few people rolled up and just started playing music while we were there.

If you are heading out of the city then the Wicklow mountains are worth a visit.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Off to Dublin in March, anyone with any more recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kilmainham gaol is really good as previously pointed out, but if you fancy something a bit different get the Dart to Howth, lovely fishing village just north of Dublin and go for lunch, a few pints of Guinness and there is also a lovely cliff walk over looking Dublin bay

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Set up a border/immigration controls/import export controls? (asking for a friend) :lolol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The Guinness tour obviously. You get to pour a pint and drink it. As many don't like Guinness there are lots of pints going spare.
Lots of pubs but JW Sweetmans brewhouse and any of the PorterHouse bars have a great selection of ales.
Just so expensive.

theboybilly

That's pretty much how I view Dublin. In fact all the major towns in the Republic are a bit meh for me (except Cork) I will never set foot in Limerick ever again. Go north young man...Belfast is so much better for a city-break

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Avoid Temple Bar entirely. If you do want to see a Welsh stag party vomit, Cardiff is significantly cheaper. The €7 pints are basically a Temple Bar thing alone.

If you do actually want a trad music bar, The Cobblestone up near the old Jameson distillery or Pipers Corner off O'Connell Street are better, cheaper and more authentic anyway.

Some of the less known or newer tourist attractions - Little Museum of Dublin is worth a visit, there's a hilariously awful wax museum right in the city centre that is probably best visited after a few drinks, Epic in the docklands is good from a cultural perspective particularly if you have any Irish ancestry.

There's a very new museum of the Easter Rising in the central post office that was the command centre for it - haven't been myself yet to judge and its entirely different from the old postal museum that was there before (and vastly dearer, €13 vs €2!). Private run tourist attractions are usually pricey and state ones very cheap or free - both branches of the National History Museum, the Natural History Museum, National Gallery, Museum of Modern Art, Chester Beatty Library, Hugh Lane Gallery etc are in the free category.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Did a tour of Ireland in 92. Dublin we did Bad Bobs, and a few clubs. Not many tourists then. O'Donohues was good for the Irish music. Did the Guinness factory but it had by then become just a museum rather than a tour of the brewery. Kilkenny was good as was Galway. Of course though, that was over 25 years ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here