Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dublin / Ireland any must see do things?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Kilmainham Gaol is worth a visit.

Agreed. It's worth seeing for the history but will also look familiar if you have seen the original Italian Job or Paddington 2.

If you decide to walk it is actually further from the City centre than the tourist map I used seemed to indicate.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Totally agree. I expected it to be full of jolly Irish folk up for the "craic" when in reality it was either incredibly touristy (certainly as bad if not worse than Edinburgh) or just grotty pubs full of objectionable piss heads. Chuffing expensive as well. I'd bugger off over the other side to Galway much nicer IMO.

Having worked in Dublin and done a few sales trips to Galway I agree 100%. Far preferred Galway and it was cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The Guinness Storehouse is good for the tour
The Parnell Bar at the top of Parnell Street is good - certainly not 7 euros a pint. Decent food too
Unfortunately last time we went to Dublin the middle of it was a building site but I believe that may be soon finished.
Shops in the centre of Dublin are full of the normal tourist tat
We were there to see Springsteen so didn't have a lot of spare time but the bus tour is good and, as others have said, the Book of Kells is great (but be prepared to queue for half an hour or so outside).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At the end of the day, it sounds not unlike our capital. You wouldn't expect to go to London and see a bunch of cockneys have a good old knees up! Tourism and regeneration have taken over!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Dont go, go to Galway instead! Dublin was probably the most disapointing places i have visited.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Totally agree. I expected it to be full of jolly Irish folk up for the "craic" when in reality it was either incredibly touristy (certainly as bad if not worse than Edinburgh) or just grotty pubs full of objectionable piss heads. Chuffing expensive as well. I'd bugger off over the other side to Galway much nicer IMO.

Hadnt read this before I posted. Couldnt agree more, Go to Galway.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Nice long drive to Kerry , do the ring of kerry no need to go da da da da da dar der der , after that keep going to Dingle via Inch strand , strap a surfboard on the fiat 500 , when in Dingle sample everything , do not miss out the little back street pubs .

This...

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Toners pub / Doheny and Nesbitt's / The Brazen Head for Guinness and a Powers chaser.

Croke Park tour and Gaelic Athletic Association Museum

Dublin Writers Museum and National Gallery of Ireland for a bit of culture between the drinking.

As you're not going Friday/Saturday night you'll maybe be lucky and not trip over loads of stag/hen parties.

If you're not fond of Guinness and Irish Whiskey, you'll probably not enjoy it much!

Second the Croke park tour. We had a very passionate tour guide who went out of his way to tell us all about the sport, alongside showing us around the stadium. Capacity wise it is the second/third largest stadium in Europe. There are also fantastic views of the city from top

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We have never been and so my wife and I have booked a few days in October. Arrive late pm Sunday. Booked hotel Sunday and Monday in Dublin. Have a car hire booked for Tuesday Wednesday and are leaving to go to Gatwick Wednesday afternoon.

We thought of the open top bus tour on Monday but what else does NSC sages recommend?

Also any suggestions of where to go on Tuesday and staying overnight?
Would love a night in a pub with live music .

EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum is an interactive experience located in Dublin's Docklands.

Well worth a visit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These benches were still in St Stephen's green when I was there 25 years ago. If they are still, sit awhile and think of Phil Lynott. There is a great picfrom one of Thin Lizzy's first 2 albums of him and Brian and Eric walking in the green. The Rocker. R.I.P. There is a statue too, but it's a bit Michael Jackson at the Cottage.....

st.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Find a nice friendly pub full of locals up for the craic that's doing an open mic night. An enthusiastic rendition of 'The Sash my Father Wore' should bring the house down, I believe. The Irish are very friendly and tolerant people, they tell us..............

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here