Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall in need of our support

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Signed

My missus and in-laws are all Millwall, how could I not?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a worthy cause but the Den isn't actually at risk is it ? Seems it's council owned land currently leased to the club for community projects.

as i recall they are purchasing the land right up to the Den's boundry. this takes in their car park and some outbuildings used for community. rather than allow Millwall and some symapthethic consortium do the development the council want to hand it all to some swish developer who want to make it into some mini-canary wharf.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I am probably one of the so called''self righteous'' posters your post was probably aimed at ?

I shall surprise you because I have put some support to this issue in other ways in recent months. Actually despite their public and press reputation. Millwall as a club put more support into '' Kick it out'' (anti racist campaign) than any other club in the country.

It is a very well run club with a lot of brilliant people to work with, within it. - Hope I haven't shocked AM too much by my stance
Not really mate, cant recall coming across you before.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
then you should know its just referred to as ''the elephant'', must do better EP !!

I do refer to it as 'The Elephant' Alf, but the tofu munching sandal wearers from Sussex wouldn't know what I was talking about if I said that. They probably would think I'm from Whipsnade Zoo.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a worthy cause but the Den isn't actually at risk is it ? Seems it's council owned land currently leased to the club for community projects.

The community projects are important around there though. It is already highly populated but short on infrastructure of schools and shops. You need to travel on to the Old Kent Road to find the nearest supermarket, so building more houses although they are essential in London, it is a waste of time doing so unless the infrastructure for increasing housing is in place then it will lead to a deprived populous.

The club with these projects provide places for the young population of that area to go to and in turn the club will no doubt get their fans of the future thus helping to safeguard the clubs existence in the future.

The Council have no plans to build more schools in that area or increase space for shops so their plans are not thought through. They are just looking for a quick buck with the sale of the land to property developers, who will eventually end up selling the houses expensively and not provide any social housing. It's proximity to London Bridge means it is only going to attract Wealthy people thus not helping the community with what it needs, ie social housing and social infrastructure for families.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The community projects are important around there though. It is already highly populated but short on infrastructure of schools and shops. You need to travel on to the Old Kent Road to find the nearest supermarket, so building more houses although they are essential in London, it is a waste of time doing so unless the infrastructure for increasing housing is in place then it will lead to a deprived populous.

The club with these projects provide places for the young population of that area to go to and in turn the club will no doubt get their fans of the future thus helping to safeguard the clubs existence in the future.

The Council have no plans to build more schools in that area or increase space for shops so their plans are not thought through. They are just looking for a quick buck with the sale of the land to property developers, who will eventually end up selling the houses expensively and not provide any social housing. It's proximity to London Bridge means it is only going to attract Wealthy people thus not helping the community with what it needs, ie social housing and social infrastructure for families.

I probably walk around with my eyes closed (or probably drunk during that particular time in my life thanks to the Wetherspoon at Surrey Quays) but didn't think it was that bad in the area for infrastructure at least. There's a huge Tesco and shopping centre at Canada Water/Surrey Quays and a decent Sainsbury in New Cross along with plenty of other service shops. Transport was good too. I lived quite close to the Millwall ground for a year in 2012 and between the two areas thought it was quite well served with shops. I don't know about schools and youth stuff though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Well that's what I was thinking from the bits ive read having googled the matter the main concern is 'The Millwall Community Trust'' having a place close to the ground that is rent free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here