Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New cars

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I've been really happy with it (yes the new model). On the face of it, it has a small 1.6 Diesel engine, but I've had no issues with lack of speed etc even with 7 of us (I've not towed anything) heading to the AMEX.

The rear two seats are for smaller children really, which was a main reason for me getting this model as my youngest two are 12 (starting to get too big for the rear seat) and 8.

I genuinely can't think of anything that I am unhappy about. I took out the advanced servicing to save a bit of money, I'm getting about 45-50mpg, it's comfortable and has a good level of finish and equipment as standard.

Good luck in NZ!

cheers !

2.5 petrol in new Zealand

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Personally I would recommend a used car, any recalls and campaigns will have hopefully been completed by the time you become the owner. Kia is a good bet as you get a 7 year warranty, so if you buy a two year old Sportage, for example, you'll still have 5 years of warranty left. Hyundai and Kia are made by the same people so Kia is the better option as you get the extra two years of warranty.

Quite correct and good knowledge.Same power trains,suspension, brakes etc. just a different badge on the front. Beats me how the warranty period differs by 2 years but, hey-ho. On the subject of Dacia though, avoid at all costs in my opinion. Only a eastern european Renault, cheaply built and likely to devalue like nobody's business. Renaults are chud and a Dacia is even worse.A Kia C'eed is just a better equivalent to a VW Golf at a fraction of the price. They are very good, trust me ,I work on both of them.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Wise words from a old colleague:)

"If you can afford a German car, buy German.
If you can't afford a German car, buy Japanese.
If you can't afford a Japanese car, buy British.
If you can't afford a British car, buy French.
Hold on a sec...........
If you can't afford a British car look into the the public transport options in your area."

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If you are paying cash, I seem to remember someone on a similar thread saying that you may be able to get certain add ons and upgrades free of charge if you take out a finance deal ( as you don't get much discount or extras paying by cash ).If this indeed the case, find out what you freebies you may be entitled to on a finance package and then pay the loan off within a week or so ( without ever letting on to the car sales staff ). Free extras and no interest as you've paid off the loan.

No problem with letting the sales staff know. may of them will even advise that you do it. It doesn't cost them anything per se and they get a kick back from the finance company for going through them.

It's pretty much win win depending on which dealer it is.

One thing to be careful of is the early repayment charge which will try and stop you doing that and is in the small print of some of the finance loans.

source: My good friend is a car salesman
caveat: this may not be all garages but when I bought my new car (not from my friend) I had the same chat with the sales guy who knocked a bit off for me for going the finance route

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
German car reliability is s bit of a myth, no? Pretty sure Japanase and Korean vehicles are, statistically, a lot more reliable, and generally a lot cheaper to fix if a problem arises.

If you are paying cash, I seem to remember someone on a similar thread saying that you may be able to get certain add ons and upgrades free of charge if you take out a finance deal ( as you don't get much discount or extras paying by cash ).If this indeed the case, find out what you freebies you may be entitled to on a finance package and then pay the loan off within a week or so ( without ever letting on to the car sales staff ). Free extras and no interest as you've paid off the loan.

From a previous life I can confirm this is correct, but there is an easy work around that will benefit the buyer and frustrate the dealer, which of course means the buyer gets a better deal! it works like this.

When you start your negotiation state you will sign up for whatever finance he suggests over the longest term with the smaller deposit (this scenario will earn the dealer the most). Then make your negotiations on price and extras and sign up to the deal.

The day before you complete, tell the dealer you no longer need the finance (you will have a cooling off period which probably won't start until the money has been sent which will only be a day or two before collection) and will settle with cash.

It's your right to not accept finance and dealer won't be able to go back on the deal as it cannot be subject to taking their finance.

Also works if you need finance and choose to get it elsewhere, which you should, even for PCP's as dealers deal is usually beatable, even the 0% APR's as these just mean you are paying a higher core price for the motor

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Personally I would recommend a used car, any recalls and campaigns will have hopefully been completed by the time you become the owner. Kia is a good bet as you get a 7 year warranty, so if you buy a two year old Sportage, for example, you'll still have 5 years of warranty left. Hyundai and Kia are made by the same people so Kia is the better option as you get the extra two years of warranty.

Yep, I'd go with this as well. I'm onto my 2nd Kia Having had a Sportage and Sorento ( both ex-demo). Wife has a little Picanto. Excellent customer service at Tates Pyecombe and not a problem with the cars

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
German car reliability is s bit of a myth, no? Pretty sure Japanase and Korean vehicles are, statistically, a lot more reliable, and generally a lot cheaper to fix if a problem arises.
I'd agree Jap cars are definitely more reliable, I wouldn't say they're cheaper to repair though, Japanese car parts can be a lot more expensive than the equivalent part for a German car and patent parts (aside from service parts) not so readily available for Japanese cars.
Obviously buy new this won't affect you, but for someone buy 2nd hand it should be taken into consideration.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
If you are happy to pay someone else to sit on their ARSE living off your money whilst you are tied to repayments fine. Otherwise offer cash but they won't be interested as they want a Mug on Payments. Get yourself a tidy second hand car keep it it clean and tidy and maintained. Spend you money on your family and not some one elses.

fatfingers mk2

Jun 4, 2014
No such thing as a badly made car anymore. The world is your oyster with £20k to spend , get out there and test drive a few till you find your match!!
I personally drive a Renault Kadjar ATM , And have no complaints or problems. its all a matter of taste. Also been in the Business since school and know a little about the industry.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Keep your £20k and invest elsewhere. Instead look at a lease from someone like nationwide vehicle contracts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Keep your £20k and invest elsewhere. Instead look at a lease from someone like nationwide vehicle contracts.

To a cyclist (ie no knowledge of cars) that seems like wise words.

15K in Premium Bonds & 5K on a plenty good enough car, you'll be in exactly the same position but also making money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here