Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Bloom lumps yet another £8m on his Albion Premier League dream

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That is a much stated statistic that is very much overstated simply because at Easter we were so far behind on GD that we had no choice but to throw caution to the wind and out last few scores gave a false impression. Had we done the same in the period September to December we would now be in the Premier not chasing possible play offs again.

We became the highest scorers through the second half because we added Knockaert and Skalak in January and became damn good. The same team is together still and we can do this.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
QPR wanted to get some money out of him because he would have walked for nothing in the summer.

He didn't have to go to Southampton, but the move obviously suited him as he wanted to stay in the South and play in the Premier League.

It made sense to both Austin and QPR to let him go.
Totally agree. My point was that he stated loyalty (LOL) to the club, well not really, cos he was running down his contract. To be fair I think they offered 8 million? No brainer. Who knows what the January window will bring. Stephens may have a slump or be injured and be worth nothing. That's the gamble our Chairman has taken. He has turned down 7 or 8 million on going for the premiership. The least we can do is back him on his decisions. It's not our money. I do love backing a winner!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We are the nearly club.

3 poxy forwards in one of the most competitive Championship seasons ever :ffsparr:

That's the reality of it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is a much stated statistic that is very much overstated simply because at Easter we were so far behind on GD that we had no choice but to throw caution to the wind and out last few scores gave a false impression. Had we done the same in the period September to December we would now be in the Premier not chasing possible play offs again.
Ah..... that September to December period when we were top of the league. Yep, they were hard times. Just refresh my memory - wasn't that before we got in the attacking threat provided by Knockaert and Skalak?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

we were 2 goals away from going up last season. So it literally could have been anything. Such fine margins.
Just impossible and fruitless to say its *definitely* this or that. Hemed missed a penalty, Goldson scored an own goal, Ince did his stray back pass. Greer gave away a penalty. Stephens and Dunk got red cards. We needed a striker. We needed a left back. We needed ...its all .just guff. How will you ever know.
What we do know is Bloom stumped up to give Hughton a squad that was good enough and strong enough to get promoted.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are the nearly club.

3 poxy forwards in one of the most competitive Championship seasons ever :ffsparr:

That's the reality of it.

In their last full seasons in the championship Murray and Hemed scored a combined total of 47 goals. POXY.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
we were 2 goals away from going up last season. So it literally could have been anything. Such fine margins.
Just impossible and fruitless to say its *definitely* this or that. Hemed missed a penalty, Goldson scored an own goal, Ince did his stray back pass. Greer gave away a penalty. Stephens and Dunk got red cards. We needed a striker. We needed a left back. We needed ...its all .just guff. How will you ever know.
What we do know is Bloom stumped up to give Hughton a squad that was good enough and strong enough to get promoted.

Best post in thread.

Probably best post of the year.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
In their last full seasons in the championship Murray and Hemed scored a combined total of 47 goals. POXY.

When was the last time Murray had a full season in the Championship?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
we were 2 goals away from going up last season.
It was even closer than that. Just ONE goal fewer from Boro in their win at the Amex, OR just ONE goal to Albion's advantage at the Riverside (whether scored or not conceded) would have seen us and not Boro in the Premier League now.

We were a single goal away from going up, and it's hard to believe we shall get anywhere near that close this season.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Totally agree. My point was that he stated loyalty (LOL) to the club, well not really, cos he was running down his contract. To be fair I think they offered 8 million? No brainer. Who knows what the January window will bring. Stephens may have a slump or be injured and be worth nothing. That's the gamble our Chairman has taken. He has turned down 7 or 8 million on going for the premiership. The least we can do is back him on his decisions. It's not our money. I do love backing a winner!

Exactly this...it depresses me reading posts from needy tosser on NSC, who without having done anymore for the club than buy a couple of pies, treat TBs money as though it was theirs to spend. Throw a tizzy, because we haven't signed a 30 a season striker, as though it was the least they deserved. Whilst it seems nearly every club in the country are searching for a goalscorer...we are not alone. So many writing us off on here, and in May not one will post on here how wrong they were, if we get promoted. :bhasign:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You've changed your tune. You spent so much time complaining that Bloom & Hughton's biggest mistake was not getting a left back, but now that's been sorted out, you've found something else to moan about.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly this...it depresses me reading posts from needy tosser on NSC, who without having done anymore for the club than buy a couple of pies, treat TBs money as though it was theirs to spend. Throw a tizzy, because we haven't signed a 30 a season striker, as though it was the least they deserved. Whilst it seems nearly every club in the country are searching for a goalscorer...we are not alone. So many writing us off on here, and in May not one will post on here how wrong they were, if we get promoted. :bhasign:
Yes, that. The overwhelming sense of entitlement coming through in so many posts is shameful

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I am as disappointed as anyone that we didn't get an extra striker although I accept I am not entitled to that disappointment because it's not my money. I think we will find, in the fullness of time, that TB spent a bit more keeping this squad together than we realise and I don't just mean turning down bids.

I am hoping we can pick up a free agent as back up.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
LuaLua hasn't mentioned the window. You are assuming his word disappointed was about the window.
My take was he wanted a loan move away and a regular start. This didn't happen because we didn't make any additions to enable Kaz to do this ???

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I am as disappointed as anyone that we didn't get an extra striker although I accept I am not entitled to that disappointment because it's not my money. I think we will find, in the fullness of time, that TB spent a bit more keeping this squad together than we realise and I don't just mean turning down bids.

I am hoping we can pick up a free agent as back up.

Not a free agent but a 1st team player adjusting position or a member of our development squad.

Well done TB for keeping this brilliant squad together and it's a shame that all your hard work to get in a number 10 came to nothing.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am pleased we have been able to keep our players and if they can recreate the team spirit of last season convert more of the draws to wins and score more of our goal opportunities and maybe lose few more games but end up with more points we should be there or abouts at the end of the season.
As fans we need create the atmosphere all season home and away at every game like the last few home games and together we can win.
Keep the faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here