Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't understand the club's stance...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This is a better squad than last season.

Brighton were the highest championship goal scorers last season. Joint with Burnley on 72 goals. The only difference is literally Zamora and Wilson being swapped for Murray in the striker department. I'd back Murray to score more than those he replaced...
As I said in another thread, it's not the amount of goals, it's who we score them against. We can smash Rotherham 3-0 and draw 0-0 with Derby. That garners less points than two 1-0 wins, I know that I'm stating the bleeding obvious, but my point is that we don't have that true match winning striker, the player that will pop up and sneak us an undeserved 1-0 away win. Our squad has improved, but the rest of the division has improved equally, if not more so.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Remind me, what stopped us from winning at Derby?

It was the first game of the season and teams take time to bed in. Yes, we didn't take our chances but nor did Derby who could have scored a couple early on. Anyway, we don't need to win at Derby to finish mid table (which apparently we'll be lucky to do according to you). I'm as frustrated as anyone if we have missed out on a striker but can have a bit more perspective than ludicrous comments like that.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Yes, we have kept hold of our best players, however Murray and Hemed will not work together as a strike partnership and Baldock doesn't score anywhere near frequently enough. Why bother keeping Stephens and Kayal on the final year of their contracts if we aren't going to invest in someone to score the goals? Doesn't make any sense to me, our failure to sign a striker means top 6 at the very best, and we will most likely lose two of our best players at the end of the season for no money.

Sell them or sign a goalscorer, no point hovering in between...

Couldn't agree more.

We've never replaced Ulloa and the lack of a consistent proven goalscorer was one of the reasons we weren't promoted last season.

I'm not a bed wetter, but I am disappointed that we have arguably the weakest forward line numbers wise out of the top 7 or 8 teams and this will cost us I'm afraid.

There are still two hours left but I'm not expecting anyone else to come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I don't understand how a few weeks ago we were willing to spend 8mil on a no.10 and since failing to sign him we haven't brought anyone in. Surely there must be similar players out there that would have cost similar or even less than the quoted fee. ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, we have kept hold of our best players, however Murray and Hemed will not work together as a strike partnership and Baldock doesn't score anywhere near frequently enough. Why bother keeping Stephens and Kayal on the final year of their contracts if we aren't going to invest in someone to score the goals? Doesn't make any sense to me, our failure to sign a striker means top 6 at the very best, and we will most likely lose two of our best players at the end of the season for no money.

Agree totally about the strikers. Murray and Hamed both lack pace, so will only work on their own with a pacey finisher.

But I don't link it at all to the club preserving the excellent midfield and defence. Hopefully Bloom and Hughton fully recognised the need for a finisher and did all they could to get one, but were simply stumped by too much competition from the 30 odd clubs in England with huge PL resources.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Agree totally about the strikers. Murray and Hamed both lack pace, so will only work on their own with a pacey finisher.

But I don't link it at all to the club preserving the excellent midfield and defence. Hopefully Bloom and Hughton fully recognised the need for a finisher and did all they could to get one, but were simply stumped by too much competition from the 30 odd clubs in England with huge PL resources.

I'd rather get a loan striker in than no one at all. Look at Abraham for Bristol City... If one of the 3 strikers gets injured we're going to have to play goal shy Baldock or the Hemed/Murray partnership which doesn't work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was the first game of the season and teams take time to bed in. Yes, we didn't take our chances but nor did Derby who could have scored a couple early on. Anyway, we don't need to win at Derby to finish mid table (which apparently we'll be lucky to do according to you). I'm as frustrated as anyone if we have missed out on a striker but can have a bit more perspective than ludicrous comments like that.

Clearly one man's perspective is another man's blind faith.
I just don't see how 2 identical strikers and a suspended sick note are going to get the job done, even with the best array of wingers, in the league.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Clubs like Forest & Derby have squads containing 6 or 7 strikers yet we regularly end transfer periods without signing the striker that we've supposedly spent the entire window chasing

Doesn't seem to do them a lot of good though.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Not the types of players we are looking for bar Vydra who was well over priced based on his last season and no doubt miles out of our wage bracket

Whilst I don't disagree per se, we had Ulloa who did well with little service, now we have the best service in the league from all over the pitch but are light up top.

Surely now was the time to gamble just as Burnley did with Andre Gray? He wasn't the sort of player we probably would have been looking for either and seemed over priced - looks good value now though with the clarets sitting pretty on £180m

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Couldn't agree more,we've all been mugged off,one day after the annual play off chokeathon "we're going to be targeting a top two finish next season"
3 months later ,we roll over and have our belly rubbed.
22k fooled again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Christ on a bike. It is still summer. Are you in a small tent in the Antarctic? Unclench for goodness' sake. Your ringpiece will thank you for it . . . . . .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

We tried to sign a quick striker. I don't know why it hasn't come off - Perhaps he was no longer for sale by his club. I would rather we signed someone but I wouldn't want to waste money. Look at what we did by buying Manu as a last minute replacement. Lets keep the funds in reserve for January, when our other targets may become available again.

Our current strikers will do reasonably well and keep us up there challenging I am sure and in January we might have funds enough to bring in the finishing article for the last 3 or 4 months of the season

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Kept Knocky, Kayal and possibly Stephens when most were almost in tears at the thought of losing them. Kept Dunk, Greer replaced by Duffy, Goldson and Uwe on their way back. Murray replaces a half fit Bobby, and the attack has lost a sick note loan in Wilson.
A LB cover or replacement for Bong..........surely an improvement on this time last year.

"No ambition"...... No ambition would be coining it in by selling Dunk, Knocky, Stephens, Kayal for about 25 million.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think, even in this age of inflated prices, the biggest money we've ever splashed out was for Shane Duffy last week, at a guess of about £3Mill for the "Undisclosed fee"?
With strikers appearing to be at £8 Mill plus in this division, will we ever go that extra £5/£6 Mill to bag the "25 goal a season" striker that would definitely be the difference between staying were we are than going up? Possibly not.
The other thing of course, if you bring a player in with that sort of price tag, then his wages are going to smash the clubs' wage structure to smithereens, and then this tightly managed club could become a bit chaotic with other players demanding parity.
But, on the flipside of that, if we don't go up very very soon, the losses will cripple the club again, and we will have to sell our best players anyway, and then suffer Championship mediocrity, and then will Uncle Tony cut his losses and sell to someone else?
Mr Bloom promised Premiership promotion within 5 years in his grand plan since arriving at Falmer, and this could be classed as the final year of that plan, so if we now need the club to show intent, and make that final signing to get us there, as long as it's not Adeybeyour or Bentender!
UTA!! :albion2:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Why oh why didn't we sign a Leon Best, Jonathan Obika or a Billy Paynter as we are so desperate for a 4th striker on the books, after all they have all scored goals elsewhere so they must be up to our required standard and wouldn't have just been a spot filler in the squad for the sake of having a 4th striker

If we are unable to get the player(s) we were after, there is a good explanation for that
- either they were unavailable for signing by their existing club (Like Burnley's bids for Stephens or Newcastle's bid for Knockaert)
- they were asking far too much money for what we would be getting (transfer fee or wage demands were simply far too high and above our maximum valuation for them)
- the player decided against joining us and either stayed put or joined one of our competitors (like Pritchard and Norwich)

The calibre of players we are after is much higher now than before and they become more scarce (and more fought over) than just picking up a striker who doesn't improve us but only adds an extra body into our squad, surely it's better to hold fire and continue to try to get the best players we could feasibly sign (like a Knockaert) rather than just taking any old player out there

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Clearly one man's perspective is another man's blind faith.
I just don't see how 2 identical strikers and a suspended sick note are going to get the job done, even with the best array of wingers, in the league.

So yours is a perspective and mine blind faith? So arrogant. Your serious opinion is a team that finished third and has made the following changes this summer will be lucky to finish mid table

Pocoglioni for Calderon
Duffy for Greer
Adekugbe for Chicksen
Hall for Rea
Norwood for Crofts
Murray for Zamora

Yes, we've not replaced Wilson but we only had Hemed, Baldock and Wilson for the final three months last year with Zamora out injured. Murray is an improvement on Wilson. We've also added Sidwell, Knockaert and Skalak since the end of August last season.

As I said, I'm not happy as I expected us to sign a striker so it's not blind faith. I just think you and others are massively over reacting. We're currently eighth despite hardly playing Stephens this season, not had Pocoglioni and we've got March, Goldson and Huhnemeier to come back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here