Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is there life on HD164595b?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It would be fantastic and hopefully an end to religion and all the shit that comes with it.

While I'd love that to be true as well I would imagine the immediate response would be:

"God (insert other deity as appropriate) has led us to these creatures to test our faith"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Statistically there has to be loss of planets like our own able to support life.

The fact that finally after years of neglect on the search for such a planet and the move to explore our own universe with human population of Mars is both scary and exciting.

Scary because it suggests the Earth extinction is a major concern.

Exciting because for mankind to spread across the galaxies is just wow! But the obvious step on from where we have come.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm delighted...Now we just need to send a baby out there and hope it reaches past 95 years old :)

That only works if we could travel at the speed of light. With current technology, the journey would take 2.5m years!

On the broader question of whether there's intelligent life out there somewhere now (and not in the dim past or far future), the best we have come up with so far is the Drake equation. You punch in what parameters you think most likely for 7 different variables and it spouts out how many intelligent life forms there are in our galaxy. Some astronomers get zero; others get tens of millions. Last time I did it, I got 1000 in our galaxy - there are 100 Bn galaxies....

On the Wow! Signal: nope, never proven to be microwave. Current theory is that it might be one of two comets, both of which are due to return soon. If not a comet, then...??? The interesting thing is that the frequency it broadcast on is spot on the vibration frequency of hydrogen, which is what most SETI scientists think is the most likely frequency to choose if you did want to communicate. However, hydrogen is also emitted by.... comets. :shrug:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Statistically there has to be loss of planets like our own able to support life.

The fact that finally after years of neglect on the search for such a planet and the move to explore our own universe with human population of Mars is both scary and exciting.

Scary because it suggests the Earth extinction is a major concern.

Exciting because for mankind to spread across the galaxies is just wow! But the obvious step on from where we have come.

Do you really think it's possible for us to expand to galaxies millions of light years away from us and accelerating away from us?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
IF there is life, and IF they come visit then they must approach our planet the correct way, indicating at the right moment to leave orbit and enter our atmosphere.

Any suggestions who we might send from NSC to negotiate?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Isn't this how Alien Started? Still, as long as Jodi Foster is still involved with SETI, it's a yes from me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"An international team of scientists from the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is investigating mysterious signal spikes emitting from a 6.3-billion-year-old star in the constellation Hercules—95 light years away from Earth. The implications are extraordinary and point to the possibility of a civilization far more advanced than our own.

See this is what I never get. Whenever there's a mention of alien life on another planet, they are ALWAYS apparently "far more advanced" than ourselves. Why ? They might be the equivalent of overdeveloped frogspawn lolling about in a swamp for all we know. I bet they haven't invented microwave ovens, the internal combustion engine, or Hollyoaks. What makes THEM so bloody clever eh ? EH ?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Do you really think it's possible for us to expand to galaxies millions of light years away from us and accelerating away from us?

They're not all accelerating away from us. Andromeda is coming towards us for example. Those moving towards us seem much rarer, but still number in the hundreds I believe.

The millions of light years issue is, as you imply, pretty disheartening, unless we find something like traversable wormholes.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
See this is what I never get. Whenever there's a mention of alien life on another planet, they are ALWAYS apparently "far more advanced" than ourselves. Why ? They might be the equivalent of overdeveloped frogspawn lolling about in a swamp for all we know. I bet they haven't invented microwave ovens, the internal combustion engine, or Hollyoaks. What makes THEM so bloody clever eh ? EH ?

For this particular radio signal they'd have to be more advanced than us, the energy requirements seem to be so significant that we couldn't generate the signal (based on my reading anyway). Most life in the universe is probably less technologically advanced than us though, as the Earth itself shows.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I know you're JOSHING, but it is quite interesting. Obviously the reasoning is that for us to have detected signs of life, the signals we will receive will have been sent years ago, meaning that they'll have had millions of years of evolution by the time we receive it. Equally, it makes me wonder whether less advanced life forms will find our own signals in millions of years from now.

It also makes me thing controlled time travel isn't possible. Perhaps worm holes and the likes make it possible in theory, but if it could be done on a whim, surely there'd be evidence of it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here