Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two Premier League footballers are set to announce they are gay...

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

don't know if I should sigh heavily that this is regarded as "news" in this day and age or be impressed that this is a milestone in equality.. think I'll go for the latter..

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Some of the footwear on display in football today leads me to think they won't be alone for long!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if it was 'come out or we'll EXPOSE you' type of story ?
Sadly we all know it's the latter.

Still at least homophobia should keep casual racism off the big board, for a little while.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I don't see how this can be a big news story in 2016. Wish them well who ever they are.

Bet they are not the first gay footballers, and I am sure they will not be the last. Hopefully they have come out on their own rather than as [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] said, hounded out by the press.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It really shouldn't be news in this day and age but we do need a breakthrough from some of them and then others in the future won't be such a big deal.

I have no idea who these lads might be but if I was a betting man my money would be on Erik Lamela at Spurs, but whoever it is then good on them - They should be applauded for it

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Good on the two if that's what they want to do.

But sadly it will never be "normal".

Now, what I mean by that is this:

You shouldn't NEED to come out. It's ridiculous that it's even a thing and all the time it's called "coming out" it still sounds like some sort of dirty little secret.
Yet, if you don't come out, people think you're hiding it. No, I'm not "hiding" it. It's none of your bloody business.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
For the record, that isn't the real Sky Sports account.

Great spot

Also - I am pretty sure this story did the rounds well over a year ago.

Said at the time that I have a friend whom is male and had a relationship with a Premier League footballer. He told me that there is a sort of underground club of gay footballers and it is known by a lot of the players. Said it is accepted and it is more the fans reactions that worries people than the other players

edit: Just did a little google and the initial story appears to be from October '15

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Unfortunately this will lead to a massive backwards step for the homophobic sport which is football. Two players will come out, they'll be bombarded with press interest, radio interviews etc, then they'll be subjected to a torrent of abuse from the terraces and "friendly banter" from within and around their own clubs and it'll discourage anyone else from coming out for years. It's a real shame but the vast majority of the footballing community will nod approval but let the casual abuse continue (see racism) ... steps down from soap box.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tobias Hysen of IFK Gothenburg was linked with a move to England. He's a great footballer and 'came out' around five years ago. Unfortunately the biggest stumbling block was inevitable rival fans homophobic abuse towards him which is shameful on British football and society as a whole.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lee CAMP and Darren BENT?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here