Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Wilshere

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have to say, I can be harsh on Palace, not because of the rivalry - more because of the cheating financially then gloating at their undeserved money but got to say I tip my hat on this signing. Wilshere is absolute quality and this is undoubtedly the biggest signing by about 20 times for Palace in their 6 year history. Benteke (who apparently thought he was joining Burnley due to mis-communication with his agent?!) was once very good and may end up being good again but £30mil is silly money and his wages have obviously caused turmoil at the club with their best player hopping ship to Everton, and Zaha (who I really don't rate) begging to leave & sulking. Remy, again was once good but hasn't played much and is on astronomical wages & a huge loan fee so is a bigger risk than many seem to think. And of course Cabaye has been a very poor signing and is a shadow of the player that did so well at Newcastle and has wasted a lot of their funds - can't even get a regular start now. But Wilshere is a different kettle of fish, a proven talent and without doubt one of the hottest properties in world football. As an England fan, I'm delighted with this move and wish him all the best at palace. There, I said it.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Imagine choosing Bournemouth over Roma, AC Milan or Juve, yet alone Palace :lolol:

Not moving abroad is typically short-sighted on the part of our players..but hearing now that Bournemouth were willing to pay £2m loan fee plus all his wages.. (Talksport for what its worth)..

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I get that, and from Englands perspective game time is crucial.. This is not a cheap shot, but if the odds/gossip are correct, why do Palace fans think he would choose Bournemouth rather than Palace? Not interested in lots of "Selhurst" comments from BHA fans, just find it bemusing that Bournemouth is apparently a more attractive option than another London club with arguably similar prospects in the PL. is it money, style of play, the managers? Genuine question...

Bournemouth play a better brand of football than us, and more suited to Jack Wheelchair.
Plus they are paying ALL his salary, we offered to pay a percentage.
Good luck to him, hope he gets a run of games

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
In fairness to Wishere, it appears that he wanted to join Roma but Arsenal didn't want to deal with them.

Obviously I'm excited but with our luck with injuries, it could be a disaster, but fingers crossed and I think he'll fit in well with our playstyle but will obviously provide a real touch of class if fit.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
In fairness to Wishere, it appears that he wanted to join Roma but Arsenal didn't want to deal with them.

Obviously I'm excited but with our luck with injuries, it could be a disaster, but fingers crossed and I think he'll fit in well with our playstyle but will obviously provide a real touch of class if fit.

He'll massively improve your midfield. A huge upgrade on any one of your interchangeable water-carrier CMs.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I get that, and from Englands perspective game time is crucial.. This is not a cheap shot, but if the odds/gossip are correct, why do Palace fans think he would choose Bournemouth rather than Palace? Not interested in lots of "Selhurst" comments from BHA fans, just find it bemusing that Bournemouth is apparently a more attractive option than another London club with arguably similar prospects in the PL. is it money, style of play, the managers? Genuine question...

From what we have heard Bmuff agreed to pay all his £80k a week wages where as we only offered to pay 50%. £2m loan fee as well with no early return clause.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Bournemouth play a better brand of football than us, and more suited to Jack Wheelchair.
Plus they are paying ALL his salary, we offered to pay a percentage.
Good luck to him, hope he gets a run of games
I guess the fact that they are paying all that money, and that appears to have been important to Arsenal says that maybe they are looking to get rid of him permanently? No "development" aspect to the move really, other than fitness.. hopefully he comes through stronger than ever..

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Arsenal apparently have had 22 offers to take him on loan. That's rather a lot for a player who is reputedly "shit".

I imagine if he goes to Bournemouth, it will be down to 3 things:
a) Bournemouth are willing to pay all of or a large part of his wages, which other clubs are not
b) They play a style of passing football nearer to Arsenal's style of play to other teams who have come in and where he is likely to be a key player
c) They are down south and so not quite as much upheaval for a player with a young family

Arsenal are never going to allow him to move to a team that could be competing for a European place with them, so the big boys and even teams like West Ham and Everton then become a no-no. I did think Southampton would be an option for him, but there doesn't seem to have been any interest. So then it is a choice between a lower end of the table team or a team overseas.

You kind of feel that the years aged 21 to 24 are really crucial to a footballer and they have to kick on during that time or find themselves in danger of being left behind and their career then fading away. In Wilshere's case, he has spent such a big part of that time on the treatment table and so he has lost ground to make up. This now represents his last chance to prove himself at Arsenal, otherwise his career could drop away.

I remember a few years ago he, Josh McEachran and Jack Rodwell were all touted as England's future midfield combination. The only thing to be said there is that Wilshere's star hasn't faded as badly as theirs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Player-power works when a player wants something. Can't help but think he has missed a huge opportunity to further his career by not going abroad.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
A great signing for the cherries . If , and its a big if , he stays injury free he will be superb for them .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What time are we going to see him holding the '6 year famous' red and blue then? Still can't believe they've pulled this one off - fair play - 20x bigger than any signing they've ever made...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can see why Wilshere wouldn't want to sign for Palace. As we know, Selhurst is full (in the loosest sense) of Spurs fans who can't get in at White Hart Lane, and might not want an Arsenal player in their team. But joining the Village Idiots and settling for playing in front of 10,000 yokels when he had a chance to go to Roma and expand his footballing (and other) horizons? Typical blinkered English footballer.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I can see why Wilshere wouldn't want to sign for Palace. As we know, Selhurst is full of Spurs fans who can't gte in at White Hart Lane. But joining the Village Idiots and playing in front of 10,000 yokels when he had a chance to go to Roma and expand his footballing (and other) horizons? Typical blinkered English footballer.

100% this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here