Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No striker then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if Burnleys next bid for Stephens includes apart exchange return for Barnes. As shown on Saturday we are not good enough to compete with the best in this Division and play offs would be considered success Mind that still follows if we did resign Barnes but lost Stephens.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I wonder if Burnleys next bid for Stephens includes apart exchange return for Barnes. As shown on Saturday we are not good enough to compete with the best in this Division and play offs would be considered success Mind that still follows if we did resign Barnes but lost Stephens.

Would that be the Ashley Barnes who only signed a new 3 year contract last month?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
All the recent talk has been of a number 10 style striker. That doesn't sound like Barnes to me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Saturday's performance wasn't up to scratch I agree, but as I have been saying in other threads, we were playing at Newcastle, a team who will probably win this league at a canter. Very few teams will come away from there with any points this season.

Impossible to judge our prospects for the season on one game alone! A little bit of an overreaction if I may say so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To get promoted we need to be above ok as we were at Derby and certainly below that at Reading. disregarding the abysmal performance at Newcastle where we were completely outplayed but as has been said they will walk this division, so no disgrace.

Ravel Morrison being mentioned by some posters again but that has happened numerous times. I would like to think that the club have somebody lined up to sign today or tomorrow and just playing it close to their chest.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Should we not sign another striker, then the fallback option is to play Knocky at #10. Especially if/when Solly regains full fitness.

PG

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Should we not sign another striker, then the fallback option is to play Knocky at #10. Especially if/when Solly regains full fitness.

PG

It's arguable that this shouldn't be a fall back option, but a proactive option we look to utilise, particularly away from home. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why it isn't something we're already doing.

theboybilly

Agreed. We were very much second best in that game and the Toon had their two first team strikers out. I shudder to think what the score might have been had we played a full strength side.

That said, we've still got two days left to sign that quality striker.....here's hoping.

I was talking to a Newcastle fan before the game and we agreed that having both their strikers out was not necessarily a disaster as they had adequate replacements. As it panned out the problems were the cheap free kicks we gave away for the goals (I didn't think either should have been given really) I'm a Stockdale fan but thought he could have done better with the first and Shelvey's effort was almost unstoppable. I wonder with hindsight if having the two first-choice Toon strikers to contend with might have been better for us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

BG you are having a Matt Derbyshire and J Lloyd Samuel moment here.

We didn't play so well in the first half but you can't say that we cannot compete. Who know what may have happened in the 2nd half after the half time team talk and review of the first half performance, had we kept 11 men on the pitch.

We can cope with any team in this division on our day and we will do in the coming months.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG you are having a Matt Derbyshire and J Lloyd Samuel moment here.

We didn't play so well in the first half but you can't say that we cannot compete. Who know what may have happened in the 2nd half after the half time team talk and review of the first half performance, had we kept 11 men on the pitch.

We can cope with any team in this division on our day and we will do in the coming months.

You know my view we should have put Stephens on after about 20 mins and said to him to stop Shelvey running the game. At the worst he would probably have lashed out at being close marked and him received a 2nd yellow. This raises the point that once a player has been yellow carded we tend to lay off them instead of pressuring them.

Yes we can compete on our day but that hasnt shown to be so much this season I can only suggest 1 reason no Stephens playing alongside Kayal.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would suggest that one of the main reasons so many folk are up in arms over the Newcastle defeat, is simply because we aren't used to losing games anymore. That has to be a good thing I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here