Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classical music

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Had a great discussion with my teenage sons about classical music as I reached for my "Best Classical Album in the World....2" CD a few years ago... they said categorically that they hated classical music, all of it. Then asked them to hum the tunes from some of their favourite films.. Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, Star Wars.. they got very frustrated before having to admit that "OK, some of it is alright, but because its in a film it doesn't really count..its not the boring stuff.." we finally agreed that not all Classicial music is rubbish, and in that respect it wasn't different to lots of music.
I love it in short bursts, driving on my own is one of them..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Haven't got there yet but does make me wonder when I'll slip into listening to classical music.
Probably the same day when I start wearing slacks, velcro fastening shoes and order one of those big two footed slippers from a Sunday supplement magazine.

One of the most prejudiced short-sighted comments I have ever read on NSC, and that is saying something.

Many years ago in the 1960's when I was still at School I had an album by the Nice (Keith Emerson before he went on to ELP) which included the Intermezzo from the Karelia Suite by Sibelius. I loved it.

Fairly soon afterwards I came across an orchestral recording of the Karelia Suite, which blew the Nice version out of the water. Hearing something like that played by a full symphony orchestra - or Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, which ELP later did - well, the orchestra would blow the rock group off the stage.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have a soft spot for Bach Cello Suites.... or any Bach, for that matter.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have been lucky enough to work with orchestras for the last 30 years. Lucky indeed.
Music is a most amazing thing. Except the bassoon. Never could quite get the hang of the bassoon.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
... Music is a most amazing thing. Except the bassoon. Never could quite get the hang of the bassoon.

Being a bass, I always have sympathy for instruments in the lower registers! This is quite jolly... but then Mozart could probably get a decent tune out of a drainpipe :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Being a bass, I always have sympathy for instruments in the lower registers! This is quite jolly... but then Mozart could probably get a decent tune out of a drainpipe :)

Yes, very nice!

Mozart: Genius. Knob. The person for whom the phrase "taken from us far too young" could have be coined.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
One of the most prejudiced short-sighted comments I have ever read on NSC, and that is saying something.

Many years ago in the 1960's when I was still at School I had an album by the Nice (Keith Emerson before he went on to ELP) which included the Intermezzo from the Karelia Suite by Sibelius. I loved it.

Fairly soon afterwards I came across an orchestral recording of the Karelia Suite, which blew the Nice version out of the water. Hearing something like that played by a full symphony orchestra - or Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, which ELP later did - well, the orchestra would blow the rock group off the stage.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have a soft spot for Bach Cello Suites.... or any Bach, for that matter.

Really, I'm mean really!!
Will add humour bypass to my list

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm by no means an expert but I tend to like quite minimalist stuff. Arvo Part is a regular on my playlists and he led me onto other modern classical composers like Philip Glass, John Adams, Ludovico Einaudi, Max Richter, A Winged Victory For The Sullen.

Quite a big fan of Shostakovich as well. And Elgar.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's a shame you won't be there. We could have struck up an Albion call and repeat. I've attended a CoLC performance roughly once a year since the early 80s. The early ones under Cashmore, ofc. It's a magnificent choir. Hugely impressed you sing with them...

"We're the Alto, we're the alto, we're the alto Brighton Boys"?

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
The Bruch Violin Concerto or the Mendelsohn Violin Concerto played by Maxim Vengerov are fantastic.
The thing is that when you start to listen to "classical" music you get to realise that there are different periods and styles of classical music - just like "pop" or "rock" music, which I also enjoy.

I am lucky enough to have a 170 CD set of Mozart's music, which is great and I am listening to pieces at a time. But classical music is definitely better heard live.

I have 2 daughters who are violinists which is how I got in to it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Umm, do you sing with the City of London?? I'm going to the performance on 21 Oct - Heiligmesse, I think that night?

What did you think of the concert?

It is always unusual to rehearse for weeks and not perform, bit like being Elvis Manu I would guess?

Friends in the choir were buzzing afterwards on social media, so hopefully you enjoyed it too?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Re-reading this thread has brought much joy... here is today's ear worm... the choir have been rehearsing Carmina Burana by Carl Orff.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What did you think of the concert?

It is always unusual to rehearse for weeks and not perform, bit like being Elvis Manu I would guess?

Friends in the choir were buzzing afterwards on social media, so hopefully you enjoyed it too?

It was excellent, as always. Great programme too. Every time I hear a decent choir singing proper choral pieces, I say to myself that I must go to such concerts more frequently.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm by no means an expert but I tend to like quite minimalist stuff. Arvo Part is a regular on my playlists and he led me onto other modern classical composers like Philip Glass, John Adams, Ludovico Einaudi, Max Richter, A Winged Victory For The Sullen.

Quite a big fan of Shostakovich as well. And Elgar.

If you like minimalism then shurely Steve Reich as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here