Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classical music

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ah - another Vaughan Williams fan! :thumbsup:

Yep. The Lark Ascending is utterly breathtaking, I never tire of listening to it. Another of his at the top of this thread...again, I'm far from an expert and slowly working my round the classical world, but I've not heard a RVW piece I haven't liked yet.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
May i indulge you with probably my favourite composer, Aram Khachaturian.
2 pieces, firstly Waltz from the masquerade suite, imagine a ballroom in venice with all the costumes and masquerade masks.
Secondly, the wonderful Adagio from Spartacus i saw the ballet at Covent Garden and this peice actually made me weep, a beautiful piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLENHBw48DA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81IcfKPp97M

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yep. The Lark Ascending is utterly breathtaking, I never tire of listening to it. Another of his at the top of this thread...again, I'm far from an expert and slowly working my round the classical world, but I've not heard a RVW piece I haven't liked yet.

Yes. But if you want this to remain the case, try and keep away from listening to some of his hymns... His Antarctic Symphony, with readings from Scott's diaries (it was the soundtrack to the Ealing film) is fabulous. My mum was carried out of the church to the Lark Ascending.

My Dad created Brighton Music Library back in the late 1960s, which was in Church Street (now a restaurant) - so I was brought up with it really.

Music Library.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I particularly love Mahler's symphonies. A late romantic bridge between the 19th century Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner and modern composers such as Stravinsky, Schoenberg and Strauss. Intense, dramatic, self absorbed, reflective, anguished and tragic. His music like all good art, reflects life.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Tchaikosvky's Waltz of the Flowers, please.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Everybody needs some Georgs Pelecis in their life.

Start where you like with his pieces, they're all blooming marvellous!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I first heard it in Cheltenham Town Hall, at one of those concerts featuring local school children and music groups (my daughter had a very minor part). Anyway, they also got in some 'proper' musicians, and a soloist who could play 'The Lark Ascending'. She did. Beautifully, and it was all set up to make a recording. Unfortunately, one of the doting parents had brought along a younger sibling who was not in any way fit to be brought out, poor little thing. Anyway, the poor little mite coughed, whimpered and cried all through what seemed to me to be a perfect performance - I was mesmerised, and would love to hear it again. The lass who played it did so superbly.
However, the doting parents absolutely refused to take their poor little mite home (or at least out of the hall) and as far as I know the wonderful performance, totally spoiled, was never issued as a CD. Would heave lovd to have had the chance to buy one, but I guess I have to respect the right of parents to spoil everybody else's enjoyment if they want to.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Both parents were professional classical musicians so my musical upbringing reflected that. Thankfully the Blues came calling when I was 17 and so I was rescued.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
Rachmaninoff - piano concerto No.2 is my go to, ****ing fantastic piece of music.

I never used to be into the stuff, but a mate of mine gave me tickets to see this piece played by the London philharmonic Orchestra at the dome back when he worked there. It just blew me away. Been a regular every year since to see both Brighton and London philharmonic. I'm not too clued up on the stuff, but it's all incredible and honestly I really enjoy the atmosphere at the concerts. I saw rachmaninoffs pupils pupil play the solo for the piano concerto once, which I assume is about as close as you're gonna get to it "as it was intended" these days. Tokyo string quartet at glyndebourne as part of Brighton festival was a belter, just to get to ponce around glyndebourne for the day on the cheap was pretty cool in itself. Pretty amazing place to see music.

Anyway, even if you're not that into it I recommend checking out either the Brighton or London philharmonic at the dome. It's a great night out and a pretty unique experience, at least for me it makes a nice change from the GDS or Sticky mikes or whatever. There's usually a couple of concerts a month during the season I think, which runs from late autumn until spring. You can get the cheapo tickets for about £10 and sitting up high is no disadvantage at all. If anything it's nice to get the perspective of the whole Orchestra in easy view.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I listen to Classic fm uk online over here a lot, as the equivalent here is just like Radio 3 !
I enjoy the music but am pi**ed off continuously hearing the ad with the talking dog with an American accent, some phone ad I think, talk about played to death.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Haven't got there yet but does make me wonder when I'll slip into listening to classical music.
Probably the same day when I start wearing slacks, velcro fastening shoes and order one of those big two footed slippers from a Sunday supplement magazine.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have come to appreciate it later in life, after a youth full of pop,rock ,blues and soul. Classical is great as a background to life . Some great stuff to be immersed in too. I was blown away by the prom concert on tv at weekend - Barenboim conducting the orchestra.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Rachmaninoff - piano concerto No.2 is my go to, ****ing fantastic piece of music.

Good call! Such a wonderfully emotional piece of music!

Haven't got there yet but does make me wonder when I'll slip into listening to classical music.
Probably the same day when I start wearing slacks, velcro fastening shoes and order one of those big two footed slippers from a Sunday supplement magazine.

Don't mistake enjoying classical music for becoming mellow. I'm sure loads of us enjoy a wide range of different musical styles. I particularly love progressive and heavy metal/rock and I don't find that it/they sit uncomfortably with classical at all!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here