Classical music

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Prepared piano loveliness:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And talking of prepared piano... Not sure if I've posted this before or not? Think I can just about squeeze it onto this thread if not.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Ah, a former Moulsecoomb resident. There's a plaque outside his former house in Hillside. Close your eyes and you can hear the authentic sound of Scoomb in his symphonies

I lived in Hillside all my childhood days and never saw this, is it a recent addition ?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Classic FM is often on in our house, particularly at meal times. I particularly enjoy "Saturday Night at The Movies" - it's amazing how many movie scores are influenced by many past Composers, for example John Williams' Star Wars score tips a nod at Puccini and Holst's Planets Suite.

My first son was born to the calming "Islands" by Ludovico Einaudi who we had the privilege of seeing live in concert at the Dome back in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uffjii1hXzU

He is a favourite of my wife and I.
We went to see him at the Dome just before we came here.
He was very humble and shy, but what a performance.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I used to play 1st clarinet in the Brighton Youth Orchestra and have always had a soft spot, I am getting to like a lot of movie scores as well.
Some of these composers are almost as equally good as the masters.
Craig Armstrong, Hans Zimmer and Thomas Newman to name but a few.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Seeing a Prom at the Albert Hall is one of life's joys. Not the brash nonsense of the last night which is purely for the type of person that thinks a pigeon landing on Centre Court is the most hilarious/shocking thing to happen but a decent evening of great music in our country's finest music venue.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I used to play 1st clarinet in the Brighton Youth Orchestra and have always had a soft spot, I am getting to like a lot of movie scores as well.
Some of these composers are almost as equally good as the masters.
Craig Armstrong, Hans Zimmer and Thomas Newman to name but a few.

May I add Ennio Morricone to that list. The score to The Mission is simply breathtaking.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I'm not really a fan of musicals as a whole but I quite like the song "Bring him Home" from Les Miserables. Then I was listening to 6 Music this afternoon and they played Puccini's "Humming Chorus" from Madame Butterfly. The similarity is unmistakable. More than a coincidence because after composing Les Miserables the composer, Claude-Michel Schonberg then went on to write Miss Saigon which was based on Puccini's "Madame Butterfly" so he would have been well acquainted with his work. Here are the two to compare...
https://youtu.be/NBO94mIQqtY
https://youtu.be/tI4jb-Aca9M

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Michael Nyman (can't be arsed to check through thread, sorry)?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening to the new album 'A Common Truth' by Saltland aka Rebecca Foon who plays cello for Canadian colectives Esmerine and Thee Silver Mt Zion Orchestra. It's mainly post-rock (ish) with a lot of tunes building to noisy climaxes and with choral accompaniment but there's some purely instrumental pieces that are to all intents and purposes, classical music. Most notably the tracks Forward Eyes I and Forward Eyes II. There's no youtube stream for them but you can listen to the entire album (and even buy it) from the Bandcamp page.

https://saltland.bandcamp.com/album/a-common-truth

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Great thread, I'm going to try some of this. I enjoy Mozart, Sibelius, and particularly Beethoven - his 9th Symphony is just incredible. Also enjoy Johansson, Zimmer, Jocelyn Pook.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here