Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The worst thing for us fans to do now is Spam his twitter account with angry and insulting tweets and messages.

Oh too late... I've already seen people doing that FFS! :facepalm:.

What is wrong with people. If you get that upset about football, you really need to get a life. Social media might give everybody a voice, unfortunately that includes the idiots.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not sure this message would be welcome to potential signings (mystery striker X) whom may wish to progress his career to the top (Prem club & international caps).

But it's not a message that we will stand in his way, it's just that it needs to be done properly. Clearly a transfer request handed in on 31st August is not fair to the club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I appreciate he doesn't "owe" us anything, but to slap in a transfer request 12 hours before the window shuts leaves a very sour taste. Now if he doesn't get his move, it looks like we're stuck with an unhappy player for the rest of the season.

Nah. He was clearly unhappy anyway, the transfer request makes no difference.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't understand Stephens putting in a TR. he can try to force a more or rather his agent can, without it. And if he stayed, he could turn around to the Albion fans and say he is happy to stay and was always going to play out another year of his contract unless sold. He's kind of shot himself in the foot, I don't think he's going anyway and this TR just pisses fans off and unsettles the squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I expect us to take all day to try and get an acceptable replacement, and if we can, Dale goes. If we cannot Dale stays.

I hope Dale's agent is ringing around as well trying to help us with this, and do his bit to make the deal happen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not convinced that he's "unhappy" anyway. He's seen an opportunity to play in the top flight and wants the chance to take it. But when this dies down, there is no reason for him to sulk - he's still at a decent club with a puncher's chance of promotion next season if he plays well, and even if we don't go up and he's played as well as last season, he'll have his pick of clubs, not just the chancers looking to pay less than his true value.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nah. He was clearly unhappy anyway, the transfer request makes no difference.

Indeed. He just forfeits some MONIES (probably)

Transfers are player/agent generated. Burnley will have known from the Stephens camp before bidding that he was open to a move.

Some very interesting books out there about how transfers really work. The Secret Footballer being one.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've just seen they paid 10.5m for Hendrick. Sorry I'm not up to date! 7m is derisory on that scale so f**k offf Burnley.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I have no inside knowledge but I don't subscribe to this view.

I can't believe that neither the club nor his agent hadn't let the club know they'd quite like to head off to pastures new/greener/richer/Match-of-the-Day-er and gave the club the opportunity to do what they felt was the right thing. And they probably felt that c£7m for a Championship midfielder with less than a year on his contract was decent enough compensation.

The club have not played ball, as is their right of course, so there is only one course of action available to him.

If he sees this as his chance to get to the promised land of the Premier League, what is he going to do? He's not an Albion fan, he'll have little loyalty to the club but he will very much want to progress his career and secure the future of his family.

Don't get me wrong, it's far from brilliant for the Albion, but if I put myself in his shoes, I imagine I'd be doing the same.

I completely side with this view.

In ANY OTHER walk of life the worst an employer can do is hold you to your full notice period. Football exists in this bizarre microcosm where employee rights are limited to handing in a transfer request and hoping their club does the right thing.

If any one of us was offered a new job doing the same thing at a similar institution for a shed load more money in a geographically advantageous location we'd take it.

I blame neither the club nor the player in this instance.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I used to quite like Burnley before last season, but after that 2-2, Joey Barton and now this Stephens kerfuffle, I can't stand the two bob twunts any more.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm not sure this message would be welcome to potential signings (mystery striker X) whom may wish to progress his career to the top (Prem club & international caps).

Depends how well the club spin it. I'm not sure I want anyone here who is happy to wait until 12 hours before the window closes before trying to force the clubs hand anyway.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I can't make sense of a player handing in a (transfer request?) and us turning down a £7m bid for him, unless he really doesn't fancy going to Burnley, and is waiting for other other clubs to make an offer. Even with this though, it doesn't really make sense to hand in a transfer request on the last day of the window (if he has).

The other part of the equation is that there is a new contract offer to him on the table and while he isn't signing it, it mis currently costing him a pay rise upwards of £50k over his last season here.

I would hazard a guess that he will sign a three year deal with a view to go when a different club to Burnley want him.

Personally, for £7m I would sell him to Burnley whether he wanted to go or not.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Can't we sell him to Burnley for 8 mill and loan him straight back til the end of the season!!? Then everyone's happy and we've got the money to buy a decent striker!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
in a geographically advantageous location

post-32670-Austin-Powers-come-again-gif-I-p9LZ.gif

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports