Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Absolutely this. They just didn't fancy you enough, Dale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody needs to remind Stephens of that fact.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is all very ridiculous when you consider the first basic step of a transfer.

A club needs to offer more than another club can refuse

That never happened. No matter how much Dale wanted to leave. No matter how much he THOUGHT he'd leave. No matter how much he thought we should accept the offer, No matter that he'd almost certainly agreed something in principle with Burnley/been sold the dream, he is not the accountant or board for BHA.

Best in this situation to just shut up and not try to explain it. I don't actually care if a player wants to leave. We all know we are just an employer. But I do care about the apparent belief that we ROBBED him of any sort of chance.

No mate. They didn't offer enough. The first step of a transfer. If you feel aggrieved then write an open message to Burnley and ask why they paid £8m and £10m for two other midfielders but not you.

You chose to make some very facetious comments a couple of days ago when I suggested that Burnley were a cheapskate club in the way that they had tried to get DS. Now you are struggling to sympathise with wantaway Stephens and using the same argument :smile:

FWIW I agree with what you have written above.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You chose to make some very facetious comments a couple of days ago when I suggested that Burnley were a cheapskate club in the way that they had tried to get DS. Now you are struggling to sympathise with wantaway Stephens and using the same argument :smile:

I didn't/don't have a problem whatsoever with Burnley upping their bid gradually as they did. That's their choice.

They never got to the number we wanted. That's their fault.

But good effort in trying to criticise my post again.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Looks like I'm one of the only ones who has sympathy for Dale ??? If someone wanted me to go to a bigger (better office) with more money and a chance to improve myself I'd want to go, why should footballers be any different?

Agree with that. I think for some fans its very hard to see that the players see this as a job.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Does honouring a contract not mean anything? His contact was great when he was injured and getting paid in full but now he wanted it ripped up to move to Burnley? Burnley FFS. That is hardly a 'better office' is it? All he wants is a bigger pay cheque and to hell with being honourable. Can somebody explain why there are still contracts for players? They obviously mean nothing to their scummy agents.

I am beginning to understand why many people I know are abandoning their Premier and 'EFL' clubs in favour of non league clubs.

Well imagine if there wasn't... Dale Stephens would be playing for Burnley now.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Did we not do to Reading what Burnley tried to do to us (Norwood) ?

Not really. We met their valuation for the player so he was sold to us. Burnley failed to match our valuation and the were knobs about it by waiting till its to late to make a sensible offer hoping that Stephens throwing a little strip would of seen the deal over the line on the cheap. Burnleys fault. Come in with 10 million with a couple of weeks left Of the world Dow which would give us time to spend on a alternative this deal may of happened

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And a word from the legend Stevens

[tweet]770981353340833792[/tweet]

I loved Gary Stevens the player but I have never forgiven him for his comment during the dark days after a tour/visit to the Goldstone with David Bellotti along the lines of " seems like a nice guy with the best interests of the club at heart"

Is he a bit thick?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
There will always be those fans who'll shoot down the club regardless of the actions they take. There will also be those fans who lambast those who support the club when they take the so-called action. Nothing unusual here.

BUT ONCE AGAIN THIS HAS REINFORCED MY BELIEF THIS IS A CLUB WHICH FIGHTS ITS CORNER - AND IT DOES THIS FOR THE BENEFIT OF ITS FANS. How many other clubs would have said 'sod it, let's take the £8m and move on?' It was the easier option, certainly for Burnley and Stephens. But no, Bloom and co have again fought for the principles of the club. We could have reinvested the £8m bounty but there is no guarantee we'll get the right guy here. Stephens is a proven Championship star. There will be those fans who will relish any further fallout from this. But seriously, how can Stephens cement his place in a Premier League side for 2017/18 by sulking here for a season? It's nonsensical.

I'll criticise the club like everyone else - when they get it wrong.

But right now, I'm proud to be a fan of this 'no **** from anyone' club I support. There's never been a better time to stay #together.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Talking of Ravel Morrison (Who is free to talk to other clubs, not a free agent BTW), I did like this Tweet.

Luke Webster ‏@LukeWebster94 Aug 30
Ravel Morrison deal falls through as Fawaz accidentally buys Revels from Morrisons instead. #NFFC

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No mate. They didn't offer enough. The first step of a transfer. If you feel aggrieved then write an open message to Burnley and ask why they paid £8m and £10m for two other midfielders but not you.
:bowdown:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Talking of Ravel Morrison (Who is free to talk to other clubs, not a free agent BTW), I did like this Tweet.

Luke Webster ‏@LukeWebster94 Aug 30
Ravel Morrison deal falls through as Fawaz accidentally buys Revels from Morrisons instead. #NFFC

So couldn't come till January anyway? Unless Lazio terminated his contract I guess. Can they do that to let him become a free agent?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't know what to think but in dale doing his tweet is not good really he should of kept it to himself all he has done is slate the people who pay his wages and it don't bode well. Players who hand in transfer requests don't want to be here which means supporters have every right to have a pop

Have a pop if he plays badly. If he comes on and links up with Kayal like he did last season, then cheer him all the way - and wish him success in getting to play in the PL in 2017!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So couldn't come till January anyway? Unless Lazio terminated his contract I guess. Can they do that to let him become a free agent?
They can terminate his contract but in order for him to sign for anyone in England before Jan 1st, he needed to be a free agent yesterday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I loved Gary Stevens the player but I have never forgiven him for his comment during the dark days after a tour/visit to the Goldstone with David Bellotti along the lines of " seems like a nice guy with the best interests of the club at heart"

Is he a bit thick?

In fairness he probably didn't know the facts at that time, and if you are a guest being shown around, you are hardly going to 'rock the boat'.

Also, he might have been hoping for a job in the future and didn't want to make enemies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
This is just another example in a long line of why being employed as a professional footballer is such a tricky business for both employer and employee. There are very understandable reasons why DS wanted the move, and equally understandable reasons why the club fought to keep his employment for the duration of his contract, all stated here on this thread already. I can't think of another profession where so much is at stake to both employee and employer over a change of employer, and where there is likely to be so much conflict of interests, and that's without adding the number of other interested parties such as agents, families and mischief-making third parties.

For my part I won't be giving DS any grief unless he sulks on the sidelines or puts in half-hearted performances. Neither will I be blaming the club for potentially losing the chance to make some serious money by keeping a want-away player and risk losing him for nowt. It's either a win-win or lose-lose for both parties, depending on how the season goes. Just as well we've got a high-stakes poker playing Chairman with balls the size of melons making the big decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here