Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Haha to Spurs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So effectively Spurs have swopped Townsend for Zaha.

Pochettino will feel he has upgraded - he was never a big fan of Townsend. I rate him and he's unlucky with the way things have worked out, having left the club just before they switch to two strikers as opposed to one.

Zaha will come on for Eriksen or Lamela and his pace will be very useful to Pochettino.

As for Palace, losing Bolasie, Jedinak and Zaha are big losses to that dressing room - they were part of Palace's DNA. Townsend will have to deliver the form of his life to compensate. Seems weird buying Benteke who thrives on crosses but at the same time selling your two best wingers.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I think the key thing to take away from that is the Palace rejected a "derisory" £15m bid from Spurs. If Wilf goes we'll be getting another £25m fee for a winger.

That said, Wilf's agent is clearly trying to get him a new contract.

Yep - one with a Cockerel logo at the top of the page.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think the key thing to take away from that is the Palace rejected a "derisory" £15m bid from Spurs. If Wilf goes we'll be getting another £25m fee for a winger.

Definitely. At spurs.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Can't see Palace selling, the natives are already restless with Pardew, this would top it all as they consider Zaha to be one of their own. I'm sure they'll give him a new contract to match the other big earners. He's on a quarter of what Benteke is on for example (apparently)

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Just imagine how much Knocky is worth...at least double what Zahahahahaha is.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think the key thing to take away from that is the Palace rejected a "derisory" £15m bid from Spurs..

It probably is about £10m too low but I wouldn't say it's derisory and I think the thing to take away from this isn't the bid but that Zaha wants away from his boyhood club. If we both take our respective Brighton and Palace hats off for a moment and try to look at it objectively, then it doesn't bode well at all for Palace. Stripping Jedinak of the captaincy was the first signs of unrest between the players and Pardew - as I understand it Jedinak was a very popular leader and this was a risky gambit by Pardew brought about by his need to show that he's going to do things his way.

And now Zaha wants out rather than negotiate a new contract even though with Bolasie leaving, his bargaining power is strengthened and he's at a club that he loves. All this suggests that either he thinks that Pardew isn't leaving the club any time soon or that staying at the club will damage his career (presumably because of the threat of relegation).

I am surprised that it's Spurs who are after him though. Their manager likes players who can play in more than one position whereas Zaha is an out and out winger. Maybe they see something in him that they can develop, after all Thierry Henry was a winger when Wenger bought him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just imagine how much Knocky is worth...at least double what Zahahahahaha is.
We'll find out if palace spill the beans what they pay for him.
We all know uncle Tony won't be so forthcoming.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
It probably is about £10m too low but I wouldn't say it's derisory and I think the thing to take away from this isn't the bid but that Zaha wants away from his boyhood club. If we both take our respective Brighton and Palace hats off for a moment and try to look at it objectively, then it doesn't bode well at all for Palace. Stripping Jedinak of the captaincy was the first signs of unrest between the players and Pardew - as I understand it Jedinak was a very popular leader and this was a risky gambit by Pardew brought about by his need to show that he's going to do things his way.

And now Zaha wants out rather than negotiate a new contract even though with Bolasie leaving, his bargaining power is strengthened and he's at a club that he loves. All this suggests that either he thinks that Pardew isn't leaving the club any time soon or that staying at the club will damage his career (presumably because of the threat of relegation).

I am surprised that it's Spurs who are after him though. Their manager likes players who can play in more than one position whereas Zaha is an out and out winger. Maybe they see something in him that they can develop, after all Thierry Henry was a winger when Wenger bought him.

Stripping Jedinak of the captaincy had more to do with the fact that he wasn't going to be a first team player this season, I think. He's a wonderful defensive midfielder but he can't pass for toffee. Pardew is trying to transition to a more possession based approach and Milé just wouldn't work in that setup.

We're not sure yet whether Zaha wants out. He indicated his desire to negotiate a new contract a couple of weeks ago, so if he has made the decision to leave then it's one he has made very recently. Personally I suspect that the Spurs interest is simply a bargaining tool for his agent (who is good friends with Levy). As for the "threat of relegation", I'm not buying it. With world class players like Cabaye, Mandanda and Benteke in the squad I'm pretty sure I could keep this lot up myself.

I'd agree with your thoughts re. Spurs though. I'd be very surprised if he could turn Wilf into an effective number 9 or 10. He's one of the best dribblers in Europe but his finishing/crossing is pretty shite. He can get away with that when he's playing out wide, but he's certainly not a player you want your best chances to fall to regularly.

It's always undisclosed with us .

I think we announced Tomkins' fee, didn't we?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Stripping Jedinak of the captaincy had more to do with the fact that he wasn't going to be a first team player this season, I think. He's a wonderful defensive midfielder but he can't pass for toffee. Pardew is trying to transition to a more possession based approach and Milé just wouldn't work in that setup.

We're not sure yet whether Zaha wants out. He indicated his desire to negotiate a new contract a couple of weeks ago, so if he has made the decision to leave then it's one he has made very recently. As for the "threat of relegation", I'm not buying it. With world class players like Cabaye, Mandanda and Benteke in the squad I'm pretty sure I could keep this lot up myself.

I'd agree with your thoughts re. Spurs though. I'd be very surprised if he could turn Wilf into an effective number 9 or 10. He's one of the best dribblers in Europe but his finishing/crossing is pretty shite. He can get away with that when he's playing out wide, but he's certainly not a player you want your best chances to fall to regularly.

I think we announced Tomkins' fee, didn't we?

Is that the world class Cabaye who can't get in his national team...same for Benteke...not sure who the other one is...But you have NO World class players!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Why would spurs want him? That Daily Mail link has him scoring 6 league goals and three assists over the past two seasons(65 games). Zaha is and always was over rated. He's a player that looks like he's going to do something good but rarely delivers.

That said I've got to give Palace credit. They always seem to get tremendous value out of their sales. They got 10million for a player that was immediately loaned back to them and spent the majority of his time at old trafford as a palace player. Now they get to sell him again for even more money. And 30million for Bolasie who they got for a pittance from Bristol city's reserves. Pretty much everything about their club is laughable but not whoever works on the player sales department. He/she/they do a great job. The *******s.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Is that the world class Cabaye who can't get in his national team...same for Benteke...not sure who the other one is...But you have NO World class players!

The French national side is probably the best in the world at the moment. There's no shame in being the 4th best midfielder in it; especially when you consider he's behind Pogba, Kante and Matuidi who are all exceptional players. Cabaye has 48 caps for France. Benteke has 26 caps for Belgium. Mandanda has 22 caps for France and is very unfortunate to be behind Lloris who is one of the best keepers in the world.

To suggest that Cabaye isn't world class is simply madness. He'd walk into the starting XI of all but 2 or 3 national teams.

Why would spurs want him? That Daily Mail link has him scoring 6 league goals and three assists over the past two seasons(65 games). Zaha is and always was over rated. He's a player that looks like he's going to do something good but rarely delivers.

That said I've got to give Palace credit. They always seem to get tremendous value out of their sales. They got 10million for a player that was immediately loaned back to them and spent the majority of his time at old trafford as a palace player. Now they get to sell him again for even more money. And 30million for Bolasie who they got for a pittance from Bristol city's reserves. Pretty much everything about their club is laughable but not whoever works on the player sales department. He/she/they do a great job. The *******s.

The Daily Mail stats don't include the 10 penalties he has won for us in that time.

Also, we got £13m for Zaha, not £10m.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
ThePaddy;7566035 I think we announced Tomkins' fee said:
I think that was the dildo brothers who announced it .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
The French national side is probably the best in the world at the moment. There's no shame in being the 4th best midfielder in it; especially when you consider he's behind Pogba, Kante and Matuidi who are all exceptional players. Cabaye has 48 caps for France. Benteke has 26 caps for Belgium. Mandanda has 22 caps for France and is very unfortunate to be behind Lloris who is one of the best keepers in the world.

To suggest that Cabaye isn't world class is simply madness. He'd walk into the starting XI of all but 2 or 3 national teams.

Don't rise to it mate , it's called the Brighton bubble .

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Are you kidding me...he has played for Newcastle (who nearly got relegated) and Palace (who nearly got relegated) and can't get in the French team...BUT he is WORLD CLASS...You lot get more deluded by the day!

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Are you kidding me...he has played for Newcastle (who got relegated) and Palace (who nearly got relegated) and can't get in the French team...BUT he is WORLD CLASS...You lot get more deluded by the day!

Again, France are the best national team in the world. He has 48 caps for them, so he obviously can get into their team.

It seems odd that you'd leave out the fact that Cabaye also played for PSG when they won Ligue 1 and got to the quarter finals of the Champions League.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Again, France are the best national team in the world. He has 48 caps for them, so he obviously can get into their team.

It seems odd that you'd leave out the fact that Cabaye also played for PSG when they won Ligue 1 and competed in the Champions League.
Germany are WAY better than France.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here