Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Think it might have been this one:

sourkraut.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Don't a lot of the points where there are pedestrian crossings have little junctions painted on the cycle path suggesting that the cyclist should wait for pedestrians? They're definitely there on ones along Hove lawns, although I may be misinterpreting their meaning.

Screenshot from 2016-08-25 13-09-16.png

To be honest, I'd barely given them a second thought. Maybe pedestrians do have "right of way" to walk straight out across the cycle lanes after they've crossed at a pelican crossing ? Although it seems a bit of a nonsense to me. Shirley its far easier for someone to briefly check left and right and just pause their stride for a moment to allow a bike to go past, than it is for a cyclist to come to a full stop there and let people cross in front of them before getting going again.

I can imagine a crowd of people crossing over to the seafront and all standing around in the road waiting for a family of cyclists to ride past.

Southsea have it right.
Their 'shared space' isn't all that shared as there's a small dividing wall, with occasional crossing points.

The prom is plenty big enough for the walkers while the cycling has 2 lanes.
There's a further big kerb separating the cyclists from the cars.

Yes, but ... Southsea has Portsmouth next door. Brighton has Hove.

You haven't thought this through, have you?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I was coming down the cycle path on Falmer Hill the other day and about to cross where people walk out of Sussex Uni to go under the road. I slowed down for the bends and aimed behind a young guy who was walking through. As I'm about to pass he promptly stops, causing me to swerve and almost fall off. He then shouts "was that REALLY necessary".
Like has been said, it just needs people to have awareness and allowances for others.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I was coming down the cycle path on Falmer Hill the other day and about to cross where people walk out of Sussex Uni to go under the road. I slowed down for the bends and aimed behind a young guy who was walking through. As I'm about to pass he promptly stops, causing me to swerve and almost fall off. He then shouts "was that REALLY necessary".
Like has been said, it just needs people to have awareness and allowances for others.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A pedestrian stopping? Unheard of.

Some utter **** almost ran in the back of an old boy the beach side of ferry bridge the other day, and started mouthing off at him for 'moving erratically' whilst still riding with his head turned and subsequently had to break hard before ploughing into a family of 4. Lycra ridden ****, moving erratically for christs sake, he looked the wrong side of 80.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, but ... Southsea has Portsmouth next door. Brighton has Hove.

You haven't thought this through, have you?

No I haven't, but it does prove South Africa was right all along, segregation is the way forward.

:lol: :dunce:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If you're not used to cycle lanes then it's easy to forget the lane is there, especially on that part of the seafront. The onus is on the cyclist to ride at a sensible speed, if I'm driving my car down a busy street I do it at 15mph at the absolute most in case a pedestrian steps out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You do wonder don't you? It's not as if it isn't painted red with little pictures of bicycles on it.
It's all down to the colour Red, cyclists can't see red lights remember?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you're not used to cycle lanes then it's easy to forget the lane is there, especially on that part of the seafront. The onus is on the cyclist to ride at a sensible speed, if I'm driving my car down a busy street I do it at 15mph at the absolute most in case a pedestrian steps out.

It's easy to know when you hit 15mph in a car. It's not easy to know when you cycle faster than that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rarely does it happen, Worthing seafront has a similar problem with a cycle lane pinch point at Splash Point. I regularly have cyclists flying by from behind doing 25mph missing me by a foot.
Seems once they get the lycra and Oakleys on they enter the Brotherhood of the Pelloton as they try to shave a couple of seconds off their PB.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rarely does it happen, Worthing seafront has a similar problem with a cycle lane pinch point at Splash Point. I regularly have cyclists flying by from behind doing 25mph missing me by a foot.
Seems once they get the lycra and Oakleys on they enter the Brotherhood of the Pelloton as they try to shave a couple of seconds off their PB.

Which is a shame, as no self respecting roadie should be hammering down a cycle path.
I'll question the 25mph but that's a moot point as I accept some will be too fast for a 'shared' area.

The real annoyance being the frenzied drivers apoplectic about a cyclist riding on the road at 25 mph.
Were they in your position I have no doubt the same man would be equally (and justifiably) raged about the cyclist not being on the road.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

It's weird because I've hardly ever seen actual cyclists using shared use paths. They're rarely suitable. Far more likely to be a drunk teenager on a mountain bike or similar.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If they just used their designated lanes and stopped getting in everyone else's way things like this wouldn't happen.
[emoji468] [emoji609] [emoji598] [emoji597] [emoji602] [emoji603] [emoji604] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji600] [emoji592]

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If they just used their designated lanes and stopped getting in everyone else's way things like this wouldn't happen.
[emoji468] [emoji609] [emoji598] [emoji597] [emoji602] [emoji603] [emoji604] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji600] [emoji592]

Ah if only there were some.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here