Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police seek man who "repeatedly punched" cyclist on Brighton seafront

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Those pinch points around the building works are one thing, but it still never ceases to amaze me the number of people who stroll along that cycle lane seemingly in a daze, in their own little world, completely oblivious, when they have the whole promenade to mince along. Also have to watch out for the people who have just crossed the road at the pelican crossings, and carry on striding purposefully straight into the cycle lane without bothering to look. You certainly have to have your wits about you riding through that Kingsway zone.

This happened to me one night last week.

About 6pm, a bloke and his young daughter were ambling towards the cycle lane so I slowed down - I could have kept going relatively fast - just in case.

I overtook them - very wide - as they strolled, without looking, into the lane. He shouts at me, I ask him to repeat it and then suggest he looks where he's going - cue flicking-the-Vs response from the tool.

The cycle lanes are bordered by thick (ironically enough) white lanes. If everyone is respectful, and mindful, of everyone else life would be much less stressful.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This happened to me one night last week.

About 6pm, a bloke and his young daughter were ambling towards the cycle lane so I slowed down - I could have kept going relatively fast - just in case.

I overtook them - very wide - as they strolled, without looking, into the lane. He shouts at me, I ask him to repeat it and then suggest he looks where he's going - cue flicking-the-Vs response from the tool.

The cycle lanes are bordered by thick (ironically enough) white lanes. If everyone is respectful, and mindful, of everyone else life would be much less stressful.

Yup, an all-too familiar tale. I think SOME people consider a cycle lane as an intrusion on their rights to walk wherever they want, and in their own little minds they put the onus entirely on the cyclist to look out for them as they walk along or across the red tarmac.

I’ll say here though, I have little sympathy for some of the lycra-clad power rangers in mirror sunglasses who I see BOMBING along that lane sometimes. Cycle lane or not you have to ride to the conditions and make allowances for the fact you WILL have a lot of people wandering out in front of you along that stretch of the seafront. Some of them are just asking for trouble.

As you say, its just a case of everyone just making reasonable allowances for each other. Some are more capable of that than others though, on both sides of the divide.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yup, an all-too familiar tale. I think SOME people consider a cycle lane as an intrusion on their rights to walk wherever they want, and in their own little minds they put the onus entirely on the cyclist to look out for them as they walk along or across the red tarmac.

I’ll say here though, I have little sympathy for some of the lycra-clad power rangers in mirror sunglasses who I see BOMBING along that lane sometimes. Cycle lane or not you have to ride to the conditions and make allowances for the fact you WILL have a lot of people wandering out in front of you along that stretch of the seafront. Some of them are just asking for trouble.

As you say, its just a case of everyone just making reasonable allowances for each other. Some are more capable of that than others though, on both sides of the divide.

Don't a lot of the points where there are pedestrian crossings have little junctions painted on the cycle path suggesting that the cyclist should wait for pedestrians? They're definitely there on ones along Hove lawns, although I may be misinterpreting their meaning.

Much as I used to be constantly irritated by oblivious pedestrians when I cycled to work along seafront, I was also amazed at cyclists who bombed down the cycle lane with the attitude that anyone who dared cross into it was fair game. At points such as between West Strret and pier the promenade gets pretty narrow and on a busy summers day it is dangerous to assume that everyone will stay clear of the cycle lane.

Edit: Apologies, just realised I have basically rephrased what you said! I would be interested about the right of way from pelican crossing issues thou.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While Brighton’s promenade is busy enough at this time of year as it is, building works currently taking place mean that the shared space is particularly squeezed in some placed
How is it a shared space? I thought cyclists were supposed to use the cycle lane or the road, not the rest of the promenade. And equally, I thought pedestrians were supposed to stay off the cycle lane.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
How is it a shared space? I thought cyclists were supposed to use the cycle lane or the road, not the rest of the promenade. And equally, I thought pedestrians were supposed to stay off the cycle lane.

The cycle lane is shared space due to the building works at certain points (the rest of the prom - the wider bit on the beach side - is behind hoardings in these bits).

I like watching the women (they are always women) who ride a bicycle with a child in a six foot wide buggy hooked on the back like a trailer. They tend to blast down there at top speed screaming at pedestrians to get out of the ****ing way, with nary a thought for the little one. It's political correctness gone mad or something.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Were always being told how Cyclists are such courteous and friendly folk, who always slow down around pedastricans and NEVER ride at people!.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pedestrians are one thing, but those walking their dogs on extendable leads are a completely different matter. My other half is a keen cyclist but has nearly ended up in hospital because of those dog leads, where the owner is yards away from the dog, and the extendable lead is across the cycle path.

He prefers to cycle in the road with buses and lorries, as he says it's safer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The cycle lane is shared space due to the building works at certain points
Surely cyclist should dismount for the stretch where it's shared, or you're asking for an accident?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Pedestrians should only be allowed to share space with wheeled vehicles if they have insurance.

And they should pay road tax too!
And an MOT !

Just have this vision of people walking along the seafront with a tax disc stuck to their forehead!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I got in trouble with a female friend in the pub the other day for bemoaning the increase in mothers driving cars that I deem too powerful for them, and constantly tailgating me.

I stopped short of saying that women really should know their place but the damage was done.

Women in BIG cars, best avoided.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't a lot of the points where there are pedestrian crossings have little junctions painted on the cycle path suggesting that the cyclist should wait for pedestrians? They're definitely there on ones along Hove lawns, although I may be misinterpreting their meaning.

To be honest, I'd barely given them a second thought. Maybe pedestrians do have "right of way" to walk straight out across the cycle lanes after they've crossed at a pelican crossing ? Although it seems a bit of a nonsense to me. Shirley its far easier for someone to briefly check left and right and just pause their stride for a moment to allow a bike to go past, than it is for a cyclist to come to a full stop there and let people cross in front of them before getting going again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Southsea have it right.
Their 'shared space' isn't all that shared as there's a small dividing wall, with occasional crossing points.

The prom is plenty big enough for the walkers while the cycling has 2 lanes.
There's a further big kerb separating the cyclists from the cars.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Cyclists in Brighton travel at far too greater speeds than are safe.

Especially as cycles are silent compared to cars.

No speed limits for cyclists. It should be no more than 15 mph, and much lower in very congested areas.

The sooner cycles have to pay Road Fund Licence and Insurance the better.

It should hopefully reduce aggressive cycling.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I got in trouble with a female friend in the pub the other day for bemoaning the increase in mothers driving cars that I deem too powerful for them, and constantly tailgating me.

I stopped short of saying that women really should know their place but the damage was done.

Then why on earth would you stop short? May as well go down swinging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here