Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we still say centre half but not inside right or ....

boik

Yep at school in the late sixties the only formation known was

GOAL KEEPER
RIGHT BACK-- LEFT BACK

RIGHT HALF-- CENTRE HALF-- LEFT HALF

RIGHT WIN-- INSIDE RIGHT-- CENTRE FORWARD-- INSIDE LEFT-- LEFT WING

1SUB

I can recommend a book called "Inverting the W" which analyses the history of football formations. Can't remember who it is by I'm afraid.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can recommend a book called "Inverting the W" which analyses the history of football formations. Can't remember who it is by I'm afraid.

Do you mean Inverting the Pyramid - The History of Soccer (sic) Tactics by Jonathan Wilson?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

GOAL KEEPER
RIGHT BACK-- LEFT BACK

1SUB

And shirt numbers from 1 to 11 no doubt. None of this silly squad numbers malarkey. When you saw a player with say number 3 on his shirt, at least you knew he was a left back.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And shirt numbers from 1 to 11 no doubt. None of this silly squad numbers malarkey. When you saw a player with say number 3 on his shirt, at least you knew he was a left back.

Absolutely this. You knew where you stood - quite literally. How can you trust a goalkeeper who insists on being no. 13!

And I don't think I have called anyone a Centre Half in years. Centre back or Central defender.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

GOAL KEEPER
RIGHT BACK-- LEFT BACK

1SUB
Remember it well! Back in the day, there seemed to be hardly any kids who were left footed, so the best winger got to play on the right wing, and the second best winger in the team (me!) got to play on the left! Same applied to full backs and wing halves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here