Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cloud cuckoo land if people think 4.5 million Duffy is going to be a backup player. Of course he's going to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. We just have to wait until he beds in

Despite not being better than the alternatives? I stand by what I said before, when all are fit - I would consider Duffy 5th choice behind Dunk, Goldson, Hünemeier and Bruno at centre back. I'm not slating Duffy, I've seen him play once. But we've all seen his start to the season and the highlights of his early couple of Albion games and he's looked oddly calamitous for a player we spent such a large amount on. I wouldn't feel any need to put him in the team to justify that price, if the performances don't justify it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Cloud cuckoo land if people think 4.5 million Duffy is going to be a backup player. Of course he's going to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. We just have to wait until he beds in

A) Wasn't 4.5mil at all - can't remember the exact figure but Naylor etc said a lot less than that.

B) That backs up my point tremendously - I hope CH doesn't feel that he has to play him just because of the large transfer fee - especially if he thinks CG & LD are a better pairing like many on here think...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Despite not being better than the alternatives? I stand by what I said before, when all are fit - I would consider Duffy 5th choice behind Dunk, Goldson, Hünemeier and Bruno at centre back..

I would think that he willo be either partner to Dunk or next in line to Goldson but in front of both Huinemier and most definitely Bruno

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Despite not being better than the alternatives? I stand by what I said before, when all are fit - I would consider Duffy 5th choice behind Dunk, Goldson, Hünemeier and Bruno at centre back. I'm not slating Duffy, I've seen him play once. But we've all seen his start to the season and the highlights of his early couple of Albion games and he's looked oddly calamitous for a player we spent such a large amount on. I wouldn't feel any need to put him in the team to justify that price, if the performances don't justify it.

Ouch to behind Bruno

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
100% serious - it's not unheard of for managers to play players just so it doesn't look like a waste of money or persevering with them longer if they cost serious money? If that's made you say 'good grief' and ask if I'm serious, **** knows how you cope with the rest of NSC :thumbsup::ffsparr:

There's varying levels of inanity, none of your previous posts have plumbed the depths inhabited by the NSC Brains Trust.

Don't let them rub off on you.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Your expectations on a centre back performance must be based on Hawkins vs Hartlepool to call Duffy phenomenal tonight.

He is an accident waiting to happen, he should be a back up for Dunk, Goldson, Hünemeier and Bruno for a centre back spot. Awful waste of £4million.

Lots of evidence to the contrary but then you just LOVE being controversial.

Duffy definitely an improve on Saturday. He seemed comfortable taking the ball forward as well. Hope it continues.

Thought Duffy was great last night and is forming a useful partnership with Dunk too. I think he could be a real danger at corners too and could get some in the right end this season for us.

You're either blinked or blind (or didn't watch it). He lost one header out of about 40, made a little slip but recovered, and utterly dominated throughout. I would have had Dunk a little above him last night but his lack of self-control should have seen a red so Duffy was MOTM for me.

All good things. He will get better as he learns how we and the other players play but my observations so far include he's not entirely short of pace - Hogan was lightning and he nearly got back to stop him on Saturday from a standing start - he's very very strong in the air at both ends, has an excellent touch, best exhibited by him controlling and Cruyff turning a Brentford player on Saturday.

I welcome the addition whole heartedly because once they're all fit CH has massive selection headaches.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There's varying levels of inanity, none of your previous posts have plumbed the depths inhabited by the NSC Brains Trust.

Don't let them rub off on you.

Not sure how what I said wasn't a valid opinion. Happens all the time in football. Torres at Chelsea a big example...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Lots of evidence to the contrary but then you just LOVE being controversial.

Well, not really. This is all being blown out of proportion and I don't really understand why. All I've said about Duffy is that his fee is too high, he's not better than what we already had and his performance last night shouldn't be exaggerated because of the lack of quality attacking talent Huddersfield played with. This will be bounced before too much longer, when he's had a bad game and everyone will be jumping on top of him as if it wasn't to be expected. We lost both his opening matches, having lost every game for Blackburn in hilariously calamitous fashion.

If I have an agenda, I'd rather we didn't splash out millions on a player we didn't really need when we had the option of bringing through some of the players from the Development Squad, but we chose not to. We chose to bring in an overpriced player and put a block on Rob Hunt, Ben White and Ben Hall getting near the first team which is a shame. Obviously others are better placed than me to talk about how good or otherwise they are but we're never to know. Tom Dallison will come back as well. It just feels short term to me, which is a shame when we have a long term manager in place. Maybe I am being naive, and it's not my money we spent buying Duffy. I've not made a decision either way about him, despite what people think. But when we have Dunk, Goldson, Hünemeier and also how well Bruno played at centre back at the start of this season.

I wouldn't have spent serious money on a defender.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It's completely ridiculous any of us deciding that a player is good enough or not so early in his career with us. After a dozen games or so we might have an idea. Until then we have to trust the recruitment team and Chris Hughton

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We also tried to spend serious money on a striker but failed. Apart from potentially hindering development squad players who clearly aren't looked on a replacements in a side hellbent on promotion, what is you problem with spending serious money on a defender. It hasn't been spent at the expense of any other position as far as I am aware.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think in time he will become a big fans favourite. Wears his heart on his sleeve and a big presence at set pieces although I have to admit he does have a touch of the keystone cops about him.

keystone-cops11.jpg

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Well, not really. This is all being blown out of proportion and I don't really understand why. All I've said about Duffy is that his fee is too high.

Sadly his fee is nothing other than a reflection of the stupidity of the transfer market.

At least with his age and pedigree - international already - and length of contract he's a marketable commodity.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's completely ridiculous any of us deciding that a player is good enough or not so early in his career with us. After a dozen games or so we might have an idea. Until then we have to trust the recruitment team and Chris Hughton

Good point. But I hope you don't mind if I trust CH and the recruitment team after those 12 games too :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here