Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But that's a completely different point. Scouts are paid to make decisions. That is their job. They make decisions on players.

Some on here are notorious for criticising players. You only have to look at the Stockdale thread, which funnily enough has not resurfaced today as he saved us yesterday. I'm not saying don't criticise players but I am saying give them a chance rather than having a go after two games. There was even one person on this thread saying Duffy would be fifth choice centre back and claiming he wasn't criticising him. That is not a logical reaction after two games.

Equally, some on here would have sacked Hughton after half a season despite him completing the main aim of keeping us up.

That is what makes this site such good reading and so poular the diverse opinions.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Like you Finchley I also think some players take time and still believe Manu will come good

I actually quite like Manu, but fear he is at the wrong club. He would be far more effective paying in a 4-3-3 as opposed to Hughton's favoured 4-4-2. Not a Hughton type player at all and doesn't take to playing in such a rigid system.

The same could be said for Mackail-Smith under Poyet, or even LuaLua now.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I actually quite like Manu, but fear he is at the wrong club. He would be far more effective paying in a 4-3-3 as opposed to Hughton's favoured 4-4-2. Not a Hughton type player at all and doesn't take to playing in such a rigid system.

The same could be said for Mackail-Smith under Poyet, or even LuaLua now.

Agreed. I think the form of Baldock has been a blow for Manu's chances. Though, even if he got a run in the side, I'm not sure if he's right for English football. If we get another striker, I think we'll sell him in January.

It is amazing, considering how many players we've signed since Hughton joined, that Manu is probably the only real failure (ignoring the loans of the first half season).

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
To head back a day or so, 4 GREAT CBs would be crazy. I don't class the Hun as Great on what I've seen of him. A 4th choice can be solid and decent (which he likely is) but you need 3 elite ones to push for promotion. A 4th would just be money taken away from other areas of the first team.

I think we did a great job finding a 3rd Elite one. It was a lot of money compared to spotting a Goldson but has shown so far to be solid business. They clearly thought they were confident spending that money on a proven International rather than taking an educated and calculated guess on a young lower league player.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed. I think the form of Baldock has been a blow for Manu's chances. Though, even if he got a run in the side, I'm not sure if he's right for English football. If we get another striker, I think we'll sell him in January.

It is amazing, considering how many players we've signed since Hughton joined, that Manu is probably the only real failure (ignoring the loans of the first half season).

Yes, Baldock is probably the polar opposite to Manu, has the right work ethic for Hughton, and, (perhaps just as importantly), does exactly what he is told!

Manu needs to be given a much freer reign to express himself, before we will ever get the best out of him, and that won't happen here alas. I wouldn't say he was a failure as a footballer, but a failure for us, yes probably.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes, Baldock is probably the polar opposite to Manu, has the right work ethic for Hughton, and, (perhaps just as importantly), does exactly what he is told!

Manu needs to be given a much freer reign to express himself, before we will ever get the best out of him, and that won't happen here alas. I wouldn't say he was a failure as a footballer, but a failure for us, yes probably.

Yes I meant as a signing for us rather than as a footballer. Hard to call a player a failure if they score against Roma (and others) in the Europa League.

Agree he doesn't really suit Hughton's system. Not sure what his best position is but I agree it might be part of a 4-3-3.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Let's all pick on BG again sad f.....s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be fair the sheer AMOUNT of rubbish he posts (60,000!!! :wozza:) as well as his stubborn arrogance to never admit when he’s obviously wrong does warrant some degree of criticism.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Let's all pick on BG again sad f.....s.

Absolutely agree and I find the amount of people that seem hell bent on critising him pretty poor.
His post totals seem to annoy many users.
So what !
Let him post and say what he wants!
Until we’re a dictatorship, he can carry on as long as he wants for me.
It’s all about free speech. Some people on here should remember that and everyone’s opinion counts to form your own judgement.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Bounced after 20 months, pathetic like the Sun bringing up what Duffy said on twitter 6 years ago

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Absolutely agree and I find the amount of people that seem hell bent on critising him pretty poor.
His post totals seem to annoy many users.
So what !
Let him post and say what he wants!
Until we’re a dictatorship, he can carry on as long as he wants for me.
It’s all about free speech. Some people on here should remember that and everyone’s opinion counts to form your own judgement.

There are so many threads that once his name starts appearing, get totally derailed as he often makes such 'interesting' posts, that people try to reason with him and as has been said, he will never back down. When I see a thread I like I often don't bother opening it once his name keeps appearing as last poster. He spams the board.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bounced after 20 months, pathetic like the Sun bringing up what Duffy said on twitter 6 years ago

Agreed, there's an element of bullying involved here, although some only mean it light heartedly.

But some old posts (not necessarily from @BG) are fair game to be bounced, for example where some condemned Maty Ryan as shite after a couple of matches. As long as things don't get personal.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Agreed, there's an element of bullying involved here, although some only mean it light heartedly.

But some old posts (not necessarily from @BG) are fair game to be bounced, for example where some condemned Maty Ryan as shite after a couple of matches. As long as things don't get personal.

Agreed.
But things do get personal. That has to stop!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here