Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Bournemouth BUBBLE burst ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Premier League is LITTERED with piss-poor clubs we used to play and beat on a regular basis. It's a bit demeaning IMHO for us to be sneering at those clubs now, when they've been there, done it, and we haven't. We haven't even hacked it into THE play-off final yet FFS despite multiple recent attempts. What's that current cliche? Oh, yes, "It's a work in progress'" :rolleyes:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Palace on Saturday will be crucial to kick start our season...

I think you will find 99.99% of Albion fans willing you to get 3 points this weekend.

Can't understand the bitterness towards Bournemouth myself. Played excellent football the season you went up, bought well and a few ex-Albion players too.

Eddie Howe can come over as a bit smug but there's relatively few managers who are full of charaimsa. Can't say I'd want to invite any of them around for dinner apart from perhaps Klopp or Bilic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think you will find 99.99% of Albion fans willing you to get 3 points this weekend.

Can't understand the bitterness towards Bournemouth myself. Played excellent football the season you went up, bought well and a few ex-Albion players too.

Eddie Howe can come over as a bit smug but there's relatively few managers who are full of charaimsa. Can't say I'd want to invite any of them around for dinner apart from perhaps Klopp or Bilic.

No care about flouting FFP?( no not flouting, sticking two Russian fingers up to it) you surprise me.

I only wish relegation on them, they are no better than QPR

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
You've spent nearly £50m on transfer fees in the last 12 months, and god only knows what kind of money you're throwing at these players and their agents. It makes no sense to me to be ploughing your cash into buying players and lining their pockets, whilst investing practically NOTHING in your infrastructure. That, to me, is just nuts. But then I speak as a fan of a formerly homeless club, so maybe I have a different perspective.

By all means enjoy all this while the sun shines. But you tend to reap what you sow eventually.

I worded that wrong..totally agree with what you say. We want investment in infrastructure.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
We (afcb) all want investment in infrastructure, however, some seem to think we can just magic up land and £100+million to build it... It aint gonna happen in the foreseeable future, unless the landlords cave in and sell to us...

As I said, 'in comparison to some teams', we've not spent that much... I never said we haven't spent money... We're coming up against a Palace side on Saturday that have just shelled out £38 million on 1 player alone...

And, in your maths, you fail to account for the money we've recouped on players in that same period... £12 million for Ritchie, £4 million for Elphick, £2 million for Tomlin and we've also palmed one of our highest earners onto you for season... So actually our 2 season spend is only £32 million when you look at it like that... Which as I said... in comparison to this league, 'is not that much'... And at least you're not someone that is assuming we're spending hundreds of thousands on wages...!!!!

We 'competed' on shoestring wages last season (again, in comparison to the PL riches), and you now have to build and invest, if you're gonna do more than just compete. I'm sure some of that £150 million we've pocketed can afford a little bit more than what we were paying. Do you not think????

Who knows what the owners' plans are re the ground... All we know is that they're not prepared to pay over the odds for a stadium built on the cheap, that is fast becoming dilapidated... and as you will know, land for building grounds a) doesn't come cheap, and b) is far and few between... We have around 3 close (ish) sites and all 3 are almost impossible to do anything with. The council really need to help us out and offer us something in Kings Park (where DC currently sits)...

I think you're pushing your luck a bit now.
No idea how you come to a conclusion about AFCB paying shoestring wages last season as your accounts aren't due for publication at Companies House until April 2017 (assuming your directors can be arsed with a statutory deadline this season).
When you were promoted in 2015 the total staff costs that season (ie salaries, NI & pensions) came to a staggering £30.44M on a turnover of £12.87M, up from £17.35M/£10.09M in 2014. The annual loss was £38.33M (£10.34M in 2014) and, as now, there is no tangible evidence of any inclination for significant infrastructure investment. I haven't gone back any further but it seems that over the previous three seasons AFCB has chosen to spend all its income on revenue expenditure. FFS, if it were to all go tits up for you this season, where are the underwriting assets and, how would you service the £40M+ debt listed in the 2015 accounts?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So...

I'm sure some of that £150 million we've pocketed can afford a little bit more than what we were paying. Do you not think????

And then...

We (afcb) all want investment in infrastructure, however, some seem to think we can just magic up land and £100+million to build it... It aint gonna happen in the foreseeable future, unless the landlords cave in and sell to us...

So with just a year in the PL you've already managed to pocket £150m (in your own words), so finding £100+m to invest in a stadium should not be beyond the realms should it. I appreciate SOME money has to go into the playing side in order to stay competitive and keep you in the division, but I would be alarmed at the apparent inertia of your owners in investing in your clubs future. They need to get round the table with the landowners / councils and get a plan together, surely.

Its akin to someone living in a rented slum, winning the lottery, and blowing the WHOLE LOT on fast cars, drugs and sluts. Fun while it lasts for sure, but what happens if the money dries up. All you're left with is your rented slum, some great memories, and a heap of debt.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
They need to get round the table with the landowners / councils and get a plan together, surely.

Its akin to someone living in a rented slum, winning the lottery, and blowing the WHOLE LOT on fast cars, drugs and sluts. Fun while it lasts for sure, but what happens if the money dries up. All you're left with is your rented slum and some great memories.

Indeedy...This has has been the gone over numerous times on our forum....a buy back and expand the ground is to us the main priority as regards the future of the club . We thought it was going to happen but as the other guy stated the plug was pulled as the landlord started playing silly buggers.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
I love how some can be so literal here... So we get an income of 150 million and and we're expected to spend 2/3s of it (probably more) on a stadium, that in your opinion will see us one more season in the PL... ??? Surely that is just as suicidal as spunking all our wads on players...We've spent around £35 million on players in the last 2 years of probably the best part of £200 million in (incl this season's money). Yes, I agree. We've probably got enough to do it, and I'd love to see us invest in security of DC, or another ground, but if it aint DC then it's gonna be a long road to building something new... If it doesn't make financial sense to the business folk that own the club, then they're not gonna do it...

As I mentioned before, we had plans to expand to 18k but the owner pulled the plug at the end of last season, due to negotiations to buy the ground back seemingly falling apart...

The club are 'allegedly' actively trying to sort this out, and have been for some time... It is perhaps the biggest point of discussion amongst AFCB fans... But likewise, Id be just as worried about spunking the figures needed for a new stadium and not spending much on actually keeping us where we need to be... That is like just accepting you're a small time club and not striving to be something bigger... You have to invest the figures to compete... and also, unlike some on here, I have no idea on the exact wage figures... I just speculate, with the knowledge that EH has always said he will not bankrupt the club and spend what the club cannot afford... Currently there is no reason to believe the owner is gonna up stick and f*ck off... But just like every club... that day will come I guess, and someone else will step in and buy the club... Hopefully

Yes, I also worry about being left with egg on our faces, come may, if we were to go down, but if we did, then we'll have to deal with that... At the end of the day, if the owners want to spend the money and invest, it's their club to do what they want with... As fans we're just onlookers of a string of moneymen's journeys through life...

Folk on here love to continually talk about our accounts etc. but never really seem to worry about your own expenditure... Murray was reportedly on extortionate wages, which are now your problem, but I don't see you too worried about that... I have no beef with BHA and personally don't care if you guys are spending under or over what is accepted... Football is a corrupt and ridiculous place to be these days... I can't affect anything so I'll just enjoy watching AFCB play some of the best teams in the UK and Europe.

And for what it's worth, as you've not had the privilege of tasting it yet... The journey is definitely better than the destination...

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Nail on head. The old 'uns from the early 70's always had a bit of an issue from those game where we battered the sh it out of each other....then there was your mini protest / pitch invasion down our gaff where you launched into our New Stand for no reason - you can understand why some some dont like you

The stand just to our right? The one where a number of yours spent the entire first half calling it on you mean?! I think your ire is somewhat misdirected old chap.

Yep the stand full of grans and grandads with about twenty 16 year year old kids having a sing song in the corner..I was stood a third of the way along and you lot were fooking bang out of order no matter how much you want to dress it up.

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
When Bournemouth end up like Blackpool or Portsmouth I wonder if they think it will was worth it ?

Genuine question... How do you know Tony Bloom won't have had enough after another near miss this season and just say F*ck it!!! I'm off...

How much debt would BHA have with him...?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yep the stand full of grans and grandads with about twenty 16 year year old kids having a sing song in the corner..I was stood a third of the way along and you lot were fooking bang out of order no matter how much you want to dress it up.

You are mistaken in your recollection. Let's leave it there. No problem at all with Bournemouth here, just correcting your assertion.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I love how some can be so literal here... So we get an income of 150 million and and we're expected to spend 2/3s of it (probably more) on a stadium, that in your opinion will see us one more season in the PL... ??? Surely that is just as suicidal as spunking all our wads on players...We've spent around £35 million on players in the last 2 years of probably the best part of £200 million in (incl this season's money). Yes, I agree. We've probably got enough to do it, and I'd love to see us invest in security of DC, or another ground, but if it aint DC then it's gonna be a long road to building something new... If it doesn't make financial sense to the business folk that own the club, then they're not gonna do it...

As I mentioned before, we had plans to expand to 18k but the owner pulled the plug at the end of last season, due to negotiations to buy the ground back seemingly falling apart...

The club are 'allegedly' actively trying to sort this out, and have been for some time... It is perhaps the biggest point of discussion amongst AFCB fans... But likewise, Id be just as worried about spunking the figures needed for a new stadium and not spending much on actually keeping us where we need to be... That is like just accepting you're a small time club and not striving to be something bigger... You have to invest the figures to compete... and also, unlike some on here, I have no idea on the exact wage figures... I just speculate, with the knowledge that EH has always said he will not bankrupt the club and spend what the club cannot afford... Currently there is no reason to believe the owner is gonna up stick and f*ck off... But just like every club... that day will come I guess, and someone else will step in and buy the club... Hopefully

Yes, I also worry about being left with egg on our faces, come may, if we were to go down, but if we did, then we'll have to deal with that... At the end of the day, if the owners want to spend the money and invest, it's their club to do what they want with... As fans we're just onlookers of a string of moneymen's journeys through life...

Folk on here love to continually talk about our accounts etc. but never really seem to worry about your own expenditure... Murray was reportedly on extortionate wages, which are now your problem, but I don't see you too worried about that... I have no beef with BHA and personally don't care if you guys are spending under or over what is accepted... Football is a corrupt and ridiculous place to be these days... I can't affect anything so I'll just enjoy watching AFCB play some of the best teams in the UK and Europe.

And for what it's worth, as you've not had the privilege of tasting it yet... The journey is definitely better than the destination...

We have been there, although it was under a different name then and you are absolutely correct the journey was much better than the destination IMO too

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Genuine question... How do you know Tony Bloom won't have had enough after another near miss this season and just say F*ck it!!! I'm off...

How much debt would BHA have with him...?

No idea, but unlike Bournemouth the Albion does have an infrastructure that might be worth somebody(Arab/Chinese/American) buying?

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
No idea, but unlike Bournemouth the Albion does have an infrastructure that might be worth somebody(Arab/Chinese/American) buying?

Again, genuine question... Does the Albion have it or does T Bloom have it...? I know he paid for it so I doubt he'll want to just hand it over to the club as part of the sale... I'd guess he'd want serious dosh for his investment...

I'm not having a go but I don't see a massive difference between all clubs with millionaire owners... At anytime, any one of them could just up sticks...

Reginald Lorenzo

Dec 13, 2014
Another afcb fan here who'd be delighted to see both teams in the top flight. Always enjoyed our games against you.

Don't quite understand the bitterness but hey ho. We've had five or six decent seasons consecutively, whereas most before that have been utter dross! Teams get promoted and relegated. A totally super infrastructure (which it took a whole 3 pages for someone to mention) is no guarantee of success. I thought I read somewhere that Albions debts were £140million, but could well be wrong.

One thing I've noticed (not from Albion fans but from other Prem fans) is that all their digs about dodgy foreign owners seem to be drying up as they each get their own investment from China or where ever.

Finally, its good to see Murray getting goals for you.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Another afcb fan here who'd be delighted to see both teams in the top flight. Always enjoyed our games against you.

Don't quite understand the bitterness but hey ho. We've had five or six decent seasons consecutively, whereas most before that have been utter dross! Teams get promoted and relegated. A totally super infrastructure (which it took a whole 3 pages for someone to mention) is no guarantee of success. I thought I read somewhere that Albions debts were £140million, but could well be wrong.

One thing I've noticed (not from Albion fans but from other Prem fans) is that all their digs about dodgy foreign owners seem to be drying up as they each get their own investment from China or where ever.

Finally, its good to see Murray getting goals for you.

My bitterness comes purely from the fact I live down here and afcb fans get on my nerves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here