Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the Bournemouth BUBBLE burst ?

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Exactly! .....£30 million wage bill on £12 million income?????

How on earth were they allowed to get away with it? And most of the media were hailing "Fairytale Bournemouth"......Blackpool - a few years earlier - was more of a fairytale, especially with the odious Oyston family in charge.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

How on earth were they allowed to get away with it? And most of the media were hailing "Fairytale Bournemouth"......Blackpool - a few years earlier - was more of a fairytale, especially with the odious Oyston family in charge.

We knew it wasn't a fairytale - just that loads of teams have thrown money at trying to get in the PL and failed - or gone straight down after one year. It's the media, you know what they're like. Surely you can see a small club getting up to the PL is loved by the media. And they always said that we had decent backing too - no one was denying that.

Just like Dyche trying to convince everyone that you've spent no money either. I think we are the bottom two for spending this season. Watford and Sunderland need ridiculing in this respect.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
We never bore / tire of Palace, or Pompey #twats or Bournemouth or any team that has cheated their way to success.

You missed out Leicester & QPR.......Leicester's PL title was an amazing achievement but let's not forget it should never have happened as they "cheated" their way out of the Championship - like Bournemouth - by flouting the FFP rules.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014

Devils advocate might point out that Burnley's wagebill from their promotion was 38m...So 8m more spent achieving the same thing ;) Let's face it, money makes the world and most certainly football go round these days. There's no getting away from it. Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton, everyone will need to spend again this summer to compete - as everyone else will.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Devils advocate might point out that Burnley's wagebill from their promotion was 38m...So 8m more spent achieving the same thing ;) Let's face it, money makes the world and most certainly football go round these days. There's no getting away from it. Burnley and Brighton will both need to spend again this summer to compete - as everyone else will.

38m spent which they could fund through income (inc. parachute payments). Different scenario, entirely, in that respect.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
You missed out Leicester & QPR.......Leicester's PL title was an amazing achievement but let's not forget it should never have happened as they "cheated" their way out of the Championship - like Bournemouth - by flouting the FFP rules.

The funny thing is though that the best players for us the season we went up were already at the club in League one. We didn't spend anymore than anybody else really its just shown to be more due to our very small ground.

Lets give an example:-

If Derby County for instance spent their current wages they pay out in a stadium that holds only 11k do you think they would breach FFP? Of course they would same if every club in the championship who were all paying the same if not more than Bournemouth were at the time.

I can't see where the major signings for millions upon millions were in the Bournemouth team that went up as champions.

SAC

May 21, 2014
We knew it wasn't a fairytale - just that loads of teams have thrown money at trying to get in the PL and failed - or gone straight down after one year. It's the media, you know what they're like. Surely you can see a small club getting up to the PL is loved by the media. .

Do you remember Plucky Little Wigan? A very boring fairytale.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
38m spent which they could fund through income (inc. parachute payments). Different scenario, entirely, in that respect.

Ah parachute payments, or reward for failure as perhaps they should be called. Massively skews the Championship. That's a whole other can of worms for another day!

Do you remember Plucky Little Wigan? A very boring fairytale.

FA Cup winners, don't forget that bit.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Ah parachute payments, or reward for failure as perhaps they should be called. Massively skews the Championship. That's a whole other can of worms for another day!

FA Cup winners, don't forget that bit.

Very good point made. How are Parachute payments anymore fair than having somebody back the club? It is reward for failure. How is that fair on everyone else in the championship?

Big achievement for Wigan that!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Brighton’s depreciation was £5 million, which implies that they have spent £8 million on their academy and the community in order that the FFP loss was lower than the £13 million limit in 2015/16. Even though these activities represent a major investment for the Albion, it seems unlikely that the expenditure would be that high, but it is difficult to see how else the club could have complied.

Its not a secret the new FFP rules saved your sorry ass but the above SR post would suggest you're as dodgy as fook..I'd prefer it if you all just fessed up and accepted you're taking the piss with your £178 trillion debt :D

Enjoy your year in the sun

Yes, Brighton and Hove Albion..we're dodgy as fook :facepalm::tumble:

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Talking of Bournemouth, here is a bizarre video of their fans singing about us at a recent match:

https://youtu.be/-s1HdvV4JXw

Think you might be receiving quite a bit of this next season from most teams in the Prem.

It was a great bottle job you must admit. 3 games remaining and you only had to win one of them. I'm sure if Bournemouth had done this there would be a thread similar to this on this forum.....

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Think you might be receiving quite a bit of this next season from most teams in the Prem.

It was a great bottle job you must admit. 3 games remaining and you only had to win one of them. I'm sure if Bournemouth had done this there would be a thread similar to this on this forum.....

Our goal was promotion, once that was achieved (before anyone else) our players switched off after being through 2 gruelling seasons, and still it took a 90th minute bobbler and a GK error for us to miss out on the title.

If that's the ammunition that clubs will throw at us next season then they're reaching. :shrug:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Our goal was promotion, once that was achieved (before anyone else) our players switched off after being through 2 gruelling seasons, and still it took a 90th minute bobbler and a GK error for us to miss out on the title.

If that's the ammunition that clubs will throw at us next season then they're reaching. :shrug:

Yes, because we genuinely don't give a shit

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

I don't think we have ever or would ever sing about Bournemouth at a match though. I suppose they have no proper rivals though so have to resort to singing about us.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

oh yes. And let's not forget the fact that not THAT long ago, Leicester built a new stadium and then went straight into Admin, paying back a pittance in the pound to the contractors, without an penalty. They effectively got a large part of the Crisp Bowl for free.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

We took Newcastle United, a team largely expected to have the league sewn up by February, to the 89th minute of the last game of the season in a league we weren't even odds-on to escape from.

Looking for bottlers? You want Leeds. Or Sheffield Wednesday. Or Arsenal.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
I don't think we have ever or would ever sing about Bournemouth at a match though. I suppose they have no proper rivals though so have to resort to singing about us.

I don't know what your talking about we have Poole Town and Yeovil ;-) and that one sided rivalry with Southampton thats increasing season on season.

I'd like to think there is small rivalry with Brighton considering we are both south coast sides. Everytime we play each other Sky like to call it a south coast derby for some reason which is amusing.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
We took Newcastle United, a team largely expected to have the league sewn up by February, to the 89th minute of the last game of the season in a league we weren't even odds-on to escape from.

Looking for bottlers? You want Leeds. Or Sheffield Wednesday. Or Arsenal.

Oh come on forget Newcastle you had three games to win the Championship surely thats bottling it. Watford did it when we went up as champions.

Taking nothing away from the great achievement of your promotion which was against the odds i agree considering the spend of the Norwichs, Leeds, Derby, Villa etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here